Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Emergency Trunk Release

Having read of Scotty's story of key locked in the trunk and having recalled others with similar stories, I decided not to let it happen to me. I took a 28" piece of light weight picture hanging wire and secured it to the end of the trunk release lever. I put a small pull ring on the other end. I ran it behind the fuse box and down to the oil tank where I attached it with a twsit tie to keep it clear of everything. If you do end up locking your key in the trunk, pop off the side cover, pull the ring and the trunk pops open (assuming you have installed the $.75 spring). If not, you"ll have to reach up and open it while pulling the cable. If you push down on the trunk while pulling it, it takes the pressure off the latch so it works very easily. I hope I never have to use it, but it's another peace of mind item. I did not take pictures because it is so straight forward, but I will if these words don't convey the idea.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    Having read of Scotty's story of key locked in the trunk and having recalled others with similar stories, I decided not to let it happen to me. I took a 28" piece of light weight picture hanging wire and secured it to the end of the trunk release lever. I put a small pull ring on the other end. I ran it behind the fuse box and down to the oil tank where I attached it with a twsit tie to keep it clear of everything. If you do end up locking your key in the trunk, pop off the side cover, pull the ring and the trunk pops open (assuming you have installed the $.75 spring). If not, you"ll have to reach up and open it while pulling the cable. If you push down on the trunk while pulling it, it takes the pressure off the latch so it works very easily. I hope I never have to use it, but it's another peace of mind item. I did not take pictures because it is so straight forward, but I will if these words don't convey the idea.
    Very inventive and a great idea
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

nice idea.

Spyder Garage

Wish I had thought of that a few weeks ago!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

It is funny that you mention this. I went to pick up my daughter from school on the spyder last week. I opened the trunk to get her helmet out. As I was shutting the trunk and reached into my pocket to get the key. No key in any pocket. i got this sick feeling in my stomach. Of course by now all the kids, parents and teacher are around checking out the spyder. My heart was in my throat. Total panic!! I looked in the ignition and there it was. Thank God.My spare key was at home and nobodywould be home for hours. This will be my next mod for sure!!!

Thanks,
    vwatso

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I thought of it a few days ago and I had to use the emergency garage door release during a power outage. It dawned on me that the trunk release was easily accessible and just needed a cable. The twist locks on the side panel made that the logical point to take it to. I forgot all about it until I read your story tonight.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I havent done this with Spydie,but I had a 78 wing that I threw the keys in the lockable area by the gascap and slammed it shut. The station attendent thought it was hilarious that I locked my keys in my motorcycle.

Small flat screwdriver saved the day.

Spyder Garage

Well, I cured that problem. Many thanks. I used a short length of aircraft cable and a couple of ends. Ran it through a poly tubing sheath tie-wrapped in place. Works slick, and only we SpyderLovers know the secret code. Guess I'll have to earn my next brownie points some other way than chasing spare keys.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I experimented with a bicycle brake cable so the cable was sheathed, but I had to clamp the ends and it required more precision to make sure the latch fully opened. After wasting about an hour trying to get it right, I went back to the KISS method.

Spyder Garage

I experimented with a bicycle brake cable so the cable was sheathed, but I had to clamp the ends and it required more precision to make sure the latch fully opened. After wasting about an hour trying to get it right, I went back to the KISS method.
    My poly sheath was just a guide to keep it where I wanted it. Tie-wrapped at the ends, since it really has no pressure against it like a standard cable. The inner cable itself it very loose, and pulls easily. The sheath is just a guide and a means of keeping the cable where I want it to run.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Anybody think of using a automotive choke cable like the old cars used, or maybe one from a motorcycle or 4-wheeler.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I"m gone to have to do this sooner or later it's gone to be my turn

Spyder Garage

Never take the key out so that's not an issue for me and I keep the spare in my wallet. That is a good idea though

Spyder Garage

And once you have an emergency trunk release in place, you might want to consider installing the trunk monkey option:

Cheers,

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Default Daughter on bike

Ok motza and all you ninnies did you read that this person was gonna pick up daughter from school on the spyder?? How Dangerous is THAT?!! Better blister this person as you did me!

Spyder Garage

That was great!

-------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    And once you have an emergency trunk release in place, you might want to consider installing the trunk monkey option:

YouTube - Trunk Monkey Compilation

Cheers,

Bruce
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tnfleming View Post
    Ok motza and all you ninnies did you read that this person was gonna pick up daughter from school on the spyder?? How Dangerous is THAT?!! Better blister this person as you did me!
    As long as a child is old enough and tall enough to securely reach the footpegs and wears proper safety equipment, there is no issue IMHO.
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

I have had this concern myself with locking the keys in my trunk, because I always remove my key everywhere I go and put it in the key holder that was provided with the key, which I attached to my jacket zipper for convienence. Many times especially when its hot out I put my jacket in the trunk when I go shopping, stop at convenience stores or whatever. If I forget the key that wouldn't be a good thing.
    I like some of the ideas that some of you have posted here, but my other concern is what if I just happen to lose my key some place and never find it? I wanted a way to carry my spare key on the spyder where I can access it when I need it. I searched around and found these key lockers made by Bell which I purchased at Advanced Auto Parts. They come with a magnetic back which can be held on any metal surface. This seems to work well for me. Here are some pictures to show what I have done.

Key lockers came in a package of two for about $3.00 at Advanced Auto Parts. I did have to file and sand down some of the molding on the handle of the spare key so it would fit in the case, because the key was a little too large to fit. These have a flip top lid that hold the key secure and in place.

The key locker also has a pin molded in place on the bottom edge where you can add a cable, key chain, ect. I added a zip tie for now, but plan to add a spring or a cable to attach it too the spyder.

I stuck the key locker on the back edge of the oil tank which gives it a convenient location to have access to it, yet is still somewhat hidden under the pined panel. I attached the zip tie through the hole that is on the end of the oil tank. As I stated, I plan to replace the zip tie and maybe add a spring or cable here instead. This will keep the key locker from falling if you happen to drop it when taking it off the oil tank or should it fall off for some reason. Although, the magnetic holder really works well and seems to be very secure on the oil tank.

When you need to have access to the spare key, there is no need to remove the panel. Just reach under, pull the key locker out and remove the key.

Spyder Garage

Great idea Vtrider !

Spyder Garage

I hope the magnet doesn't adversly affect the chip in your key. Magnets and computer media don't usually get along to well together.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I hope the magnet doesn't adversly affect the chip in your key. Magnets and computer media don't usually get along to well together.
    -Scotty
    One thing that I noticed is that inside the case there isn't much of a magnetic field. I tried to stick a nail inside against the magnet side of the case and it wouldn't hold. The magnet is inserted in what appears to be an aluminum housing. That with the plastic case and the molding around the key should shield the magnetic field away from the chip inside the key. I had this key inside the case for a while and started the spyder several times with it without any issues. So, who knows, I could be wrong, but it's been working for me so far without any problems. Your right about magnets and computer chips. It is something to have concern over. Thanks you for your input!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    -Scotty
    Takes a very powerful magnet to have much of an impact. No worries with the type of magnet used on that thing.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default another esoteric thing to consider . . .

You might want to attach it with both the magnet and cord.
    The oil tank, as well as most of the other metal parts under the plastic, will get pretty hot. In general, heating up magnets will weaken them.

But, I think this is a good idea and a great solution.

Tom

Spyder Garage

What is wrong with the Claw Hammer approach!? Works EVERY TIME!

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    One thing that I noticed is that inside the case there isn't much of a magnetic field. I tried to stick a nail inside against the magnet side of the case and it wouldn't hold. The magnet is inserted in what appears to be an aluminum housing. That with the plastic case and the molding around the key should shield the magnetic field away from the chip inside the key. I had this key inside the case for a while and started the spyder several times with it without any issues. So, who knows, I could be wrong, but it's been working for me so far without any problems. Your right about magnets and computer chips. It is something to have concern over. Thanks you for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Takes a very powerful magnet to have much of an impact. No worries with the type of magnet used on that thing.
    Thanks for the information. I sure wouldn't have tried to chance it without some sort of supporting information like you guys have provided. I suppose this isn't the floppy disc - refrigerator magnet days of old. Of course, I don't have to do this since I installed a release cable right after BRPJunkie posted his mod. I will vouch for the need for type of emergency release or access. I was unable to get the trunk to open yanking on the regular cable. My four hour ride on my BMW home and back with another key, after Nancy locked hers in the trunk started this idea, as I recall.
    -Scotty