Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wet front Trunk on my new 2014

I had a fabulous weekend at MT Snow VT on MFD benefit ride. only downer was that Friday, while my Spyder sat under it's half cover in the pouring rain -- the front trunk took on water soaking everything I'd left in it.

Is the trunk suppose to be waterproof?? Was a bit annoyed as i pulled out a soaked owners manual.

Calling the dealer this morning.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your gasket around the Frunk top could have come adrift...
    Please let us know what they find; good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Since the trunk leak while parked I would not think water could go uphill and get past the top gasket even if it was out of place. More likely the fuse box access panels or the battery access panel.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They had problems on the 2013s with the fuse box seal, let's hope that isn't the case on the 2014s also
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They had problems on the 2013s with the fuse box seal, let's hope that isn't the case on the 2014s also
    Yes but that was for water getting into the fuse boxes themselves not the frunk. However sitting still that is about the only place water could get in there... maybe the fuse box covers are not properly fastened?
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

I'm curious what you find out as I purchased a '14 last week...... Please keep up posted.

Spyder Garage

I was recently looking at the 2014 RT-S and RT-L models and did not like the fit of the front trunk cover on either model. Both had an approximate gap of .25 inches between the bottom of the cover and the rest of the facia because of the height of the latch. Could not see any adjustment on the latch. Don't know if your RT has the same fit but it could explain the amount of water going into your "Frunk."
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    I was recently looking at the 2014 RT-S and RT-L models and did not like the fit of the front trunk cover on either model. Both had an approximate gap of .25 inches between the bottom of the cover and the rest of the facia because of the height of the latch. Could not see any adjustment on the latch. Don't know if your RT has the same fit but it could explain the amount of water going into your "Frunk."
    What, the 2014 is not perfect !
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    Alas, it is not!
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    On both the 2012 and 2014 RT Limited, I had to readjust and align the frunk cover. For whatever reason, they do a poor job of it. It's now correctly line up with even gaps and closes well. Too bad the dealer doesn't check alignment before delivery??? Wonder if it's on their checklist???

And...on the 2012 RT Limitied the latch was loose on the frunk which did not allow it to latch (after I had that bike about 500 miles). I found that the latch hardware can move back and forth which adjust how tight you latch the lid to the mechanism. The 2012's was loose and pushed down too far to latch....just had to adjust it up a bit and tighten...'

I have NOT had any moisture or water in either of these Spyder's frunks.....
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-19-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    Exception not the rule --- I think it's like 1 in a million!! Mine's perfect! (for me)
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Been in downpours

Not a drop inside frunk on my '14...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Water in my frunk

Decided to wash the RT today, but took everything out of the frunk, just in case. Alas, when I opened the frunk to wipe down the edges, there was water in there. Not sure if this makes a difference, but my frunk latch also doesn't work properly (I have to jiggle the key to get the frunk latch to click so it will lock) and if this could be part of my problem - along with the gap between the bodywork and frunk lid.

Anyway, I shot a short video of the water in the frunk to take to the dealer and see what they say.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was in my fuse box the other day going in to switch the fuse for the truck power from keyed to battery and the inside of the cover on both fuse boxes had quite a bit of water in them???
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The list is growing
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Default Water water..!!

this is not the first I have seen. On other sites they have had water accumulate in the frunk but have not seen where they have found out why or where from..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Back from dealer.

He thinks that is because I had the Can-An Dongle installed and it required drilling a hole to pass wires through. They thought the wires were tight in the hole and didn't think of sealing it "more"

Rain water would have dripped in at the frunk latch and usually drip to the ground, with the hole and wires, it leaked in there.

They sealed the hole with silicone. I will now wash the trike (it needs a bath after the weekend ride) and check for dryness.

ABC

Spyder Garage

when they did mine on my 13 there was a rubber grommet around the wires so no water will get through, but water in the frunk is better than junk in the trunk, i think
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'll check mine since I just Had the Bluetooth put in. I wonder why they run it all the way up there anyway when the radio in in the passenger armrest right next to the trunk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

made me curious about water getting into the front trunk so I got into my front trunk and closed the lid and had my wife spray the front with a hose while i held a flashlight.No leaks on mine! Man ,you can store a lot of stuff in that front trunk.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This happened with my 2013 RTS. I rode in a torrential downpour for about 10 minutes and everything was soaked in the frunk. My dealer changed the ruber seal around the top of the frunk and I have never had the problem again.

Spyder Garage

My 2014 leaks. I checked the alignment of the frunk and it seems to be perfectly aligned. I'm going to check the gasket by putting some kind of washable paint on it and then close it (carefully) to see if there's any gaps.

FWIW, my 2008 GS always leaked, even after I replaced the gasket with the Spyderpops aftermarket gasket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    I'll check mine since I just Had the Bluetooth put in. I wonder why they run it all the way up there anyway when the radio in in the passenger armrest right next to the trunk
    That's a good question. I've installed the Bluetooth dongle on both my 2012 RT Limited and my 2014 RT Limited -- both times, I chose the rear trunk for easy install and easy access. I elected to put the dongle on the lid so when it's open, I have easy access to turn the dongle on and off. Makes life much easier when you install this way.....I really don't understand why they want it up front. I have had ZERO issues with this location and reception is great!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sassoman View Post
    made me curious about water getting into the front trunk so I got into my front trunk and closed the lid and had my wife spray the front with a hose while i held a flashlight.No leaks on mine! Man ,you can store a lot of stuff in that front trunk.
    be careful if BRP reads this post they will think they need to install an emergency exit strap in the trunk.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    My 2014 leaks. I checked the alignment of the frunk and it seems to be perfectly aligned. I'm going to check the gasket by putting some kind of washable paint on it and then close it (carefully) to see if there's any gaps.

FWIW, my 2008 GS always leaked, even after I replaced the gasket with the Spyderpops aftermarket gasket.
    Best way to test is to put DiElectric grease all around the seal and close then look at the lid with a flash light. It serves 2 purposes as it conditions the rubber and helps water proof too and my lid had to be pushed closed until I put a dab of same on my latch now I just drop the lid and it closes on it's own. Oh by the way it was not adjusted correctly during dealer prep but I saw it before I drove off and had them adjust it down so everything was tight,even and level.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment