Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Posting of Purchase Prices is often Meanigless and Counter Productive

Meaningless because of so many variables. Buyers misrepresent what they bought or what they paid for it. "Out thr Door" may include tax, license and registration paid at the dealer in some states, but not allowed in others. Did the Buyer pay cash? If not did his "price" include loan fees, finance rates, administrative fees, etc. How does a person reading these numbers on the internet make much meaningful sense out of it?

Counter Productive because what sometimes happens is a Buyer is excited about the "deal" he got and can't wait to hit the internet tell everyone. Not only the price, but the Dealer name, salesman and sometimes even a paragraph on how artful he was with the negotiation. This creates a problem for the Dealer of course since other buyers want to know why they didn't get the same deal. In addition, other Dealers complain to the Manufacturer that he is pricing too aggressively and demand he be reined in.

Dealers, like Buyers, need to be free to run their business as they see fit as long as they don't unfairly treat their customers or damage their manufacture's reputation. Customers likewise need to research enough to know the local market and what reasonable prices are. Then they can choose to negotiate aggressively or not at all. But posting "deals" with Dealer names is a sure way to stifle competition in my opinion. Maybe that's the way today's America wants it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the salient point is?

Do you think that any of this is gonna stop?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i don't really see a problem with a out the door price, meaning taxes and all. i will ask a person in pvt if they don't say what it costs on their post but i would like to know just how good or bad i did with my deal
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Most of the price information that I see on SL has to do with an answer to someone's question: Good price, bad price, ballpark price?

I don't think that throwing prices around occasionally is going to interfere with anyone's business plan. It may keep some dealers from being a bit less mercenary to the customers though.

When people talk prices it surely does not bother me. Just my .02

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And the salient point is?

Do you think that any of this is gonna stop?
    The salient point is we shoot ourselves in the foot when we pinpoint a dealer with very aggressive pricing. The more he gets singled out, the sooner it will stop. I have no problem posting prices if the dealership is not identified, but often wonder how accurate the number is.

Yes I do think mentioning this will at least cause some to stop and think before jumping on the band wagon.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like OP works for a dealer. Pricing information helps as long as people understand what they are seeing. Unless it's in the same state it doesn't matter much unless you understand the tax differences. But within the same state it can be VERY helpful. Information is never a bad thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeeMaybee View Post
    The salient point is we shoot ourselves in the foot when we pinpoint a dealer with very aggressive pricing. The more he gets singled out, the sooner it will stop. I have no problem posting prices if the dealership is not identified, but often wonder how accurate the number is.

Yes I do think mentioning this will at least cause some to stop and think before jumping on the band wagon.
    It's a free market. That dealer can stop any time they want. They don't have to give everyone the same price, even if it's publicly discussed. When buying any vehicle I've never signed a non-disclosure agreement when it comes to the price.

This forum is REALLY odd. I've never seen people complain about price discussions on any of the other many vehicle forums I've ever been on. Same goes for a few other things on here... Most forums welcome this type of discussion. And many vendors/dealers post their best prices. Not sure why Spyders are some different breed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Of course there is the “Why lookee here losers, I got twice what you did for half as much”.

... of course they didn’t, but then if they can’t feel smugly superior on the internet where can they?
    Folks always love the opportunity to dance around somebody else's misery...

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger Of course there is the “Why lookee here losers, I got twice what you did for half as much”.

... of course they didn’t, but then if they can’t feel smugly superior on the internet where can they?

Bob D.:
    " Folks always love the opportunity to dance around somebody else's misery... "

We sometimes hear back from these same people about how lousy the dealer services the machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RIGHT

Meaningless because of so many variables. Buyers misrepresent what they bought or what they paid for it. "Out thr Door" may include tax, license and registration paid at the dealer in some states, but not allowed in others. Did the Buyer pay cash? If not did his "price" include loan fees, finance rates, administrative fees, etc. How does a person reading these numbers on the internet make much meaningful sense out of it?

Counter Productive because what sometimes happens is a Buyer is excited about the "deal" he got and can't wait to hit the internet tell everyone. Not only the price, but the Dealer name, salesman and sometimes even a paragraph on how artful he was with the negotiation. This creates a problem for the Dealer of course since other buyers want to know why they didn't get the same deal. In addition, other Dealers complain to the Manufacturer that he is pricing too aggressively and demand he be reined in.

Dealers, like Buyers, need to be free to run their business as they see fit as long as they don't unfairly treat their customers or damage their manufacture's reputation. Customers likewise need to research enough to know the local market and what reasonable prices are. Then they can choose to negotiate aggressively or not at all. But posting "deals" with Dealer names is a sure way to stifle competition in my opinion. Maybe that's the way today's America wants it.
    Yes by all means necessary........lets remove the FREE SPEECH thing from the Constitution.............and replace it with new rules created by ................................wait for it .....................SpydeeMaybee ..( who I don't think actually owns a Spyder ......yet ?????????).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Folks are always going to want ot talk about the smokin' HOT deal that only they were able to get...
    how they beat the dealer down to $3756.07 below invoice... THEN made his poor Wife cook a Turkey dinner, AND deliver it, and the bike to them...
    Can't be helped; won't be stopped...
    The one thing that we try to discourage here; is unbridled bashing of a dealership by name...
    Yeah; complaints can be perfectly valid; but "Piling it on", in a venue where the dealer may not be able to defend themselves seems kind of mean...
    Mentining a name and a problem has always been okay... Harping on it; adding personal insults; questioning someboy's lineage... these things go beyond useful...
    After all; a problem with a dealer won't be solved in here anyway...

Pricing? Fair game!
    and it's on!

Spyder Garage

Sorry but I have to disagree with the OP! There is nothing wrong with someone posting what they paid for their vehicle! It helps to keep the dealers in line. Not that they would ever over charge anyone. NOT! It's a free market system. What I post may help some other buyer get a better deal! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I wonder what Sam Walton's reaction would be...
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I wonder, too

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    It's a free market. That dealer can stop any time they want. They don't have to give everyone the same price, even if it's publicly discussed. When buying any vehicle I've never signed a non-disclosure agreement when it comes to the price.

This forum is REALLY odd. I've never seen people complain about price discussions on any of the other many vehicle forums I've ever been on. Same goes for a few other things on here... Most forums welcome this type of discussion. And many vendors/dealers post their best prices. Not sure why Spyders are some different breed.
    I agree with you. I've noticed the same. Me thinks many frequent posters here identify closely with the business world in their own professional lives and dislike seeing a retailer trashed. These vehicles aren't cheap and they appeal to an above average income, maybe more fiscally conservative base. Also, many active posters may be selling a spyder related item or service themselves? It is an interesting dynamic.

Spyder Garage

So we must respect and honor dealers who are actively trying to game us to make a profit by not disclosing their terms, even when by doing so we can bring them more revenue because of higher volume even if with a smaller margin.

To me it sounds more of a "I do not want to brag about getting a nice deal because of my relation with the dealer which I may lose if everybody knows he can get to those levels" type of rule.

It is hard for me to fathom a forum of consumers who do not desire to share this information to (as the unified group they claim to be) help the group get larger by making the product more accessible.

I might be sadly mistaken as I have been several times but that is MHO

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

The best deal your going to get is the deal you got. There is only two ways to sell, a few for a lot or many for less. In the end it is up to you to find the deal. Now honest folks throwing out what they paid gives you a reference number you need to gather the particulars..where when etc. Even the Kelly Blue book and NADA ask you what state or zip code when they quote their suggested pricing. There will always be those that paid more than you did and those that paid less thats the way it is....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll take one last shot at this because to me, posting prices can be less advantageous for the consumer. Some would argue it keeps dealers price competitive. I would say it more likely keeps them price consistent. Is it more desirable to have all dealers in an area charging roughly the same price at a higher profit margin or would it be better (for the consumer) if price negotiations were left between the dealer and customer in private. The answer may depend on how you prefer to shop.

Consider this:
    A dealer decides it makes sense to offer a customer a "real deal", meaning close to or even below his cost. How likely is he to do this if he suspects there's a chance it will be all over the internet the next day?

I have no problem helping people discover which dealers are fair, provide good after sale service and are price competitive, but I feel there are better ways to do that than posting sale prices which are quite often ambiguous, incomplete and seldom present a meaningful perspective.

Spyder Garage

Again, is up to the dealer to prefer big margin over low volume focused only on sale value, versus low margin and high volume with an opportunity to make more money for after sale service/parts and a recurrent customer down the line.

Is up to consumers to decide if they want to help others to identify such business models.

Flipping your argument, a low margin/higher volume would love the free publicity coming from somebody boasting about how "great" their deal was.

And you are in a forum to share something, why wouldn't you want to share this piece if not because you don't want to ruin your own chances of getting the best deal for yourself.

I thought this was a group, a community to share experiences. Let the dealers decide how to run their business and help your fellow members should be a key part of that experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll take one last shot at this because to me, posting prices can be less advantageous for the consumer. Some would argue it keeps dealers price competitive. I would say it more likely keeps them price consistent. Is it more desirable to have all dealers in an area charging roughly the same price at a higher profit margin or would it be better (for the consumer) if price negotiations were left between the dealer and customer in private. The answer may depend on how you prefer to shop.

Consider this:
    A dealer decides it makes sense to offer a customer a "real deal", meaning close to or even below his cost. How likely is he to do this if he suspects there's a chance it will be all over the internet the next day?

I have no problem helping people discover which dealers are fair, provide good after sale service and are price competitive, but I feel there are better ways to do that than posting sale prices which are quite often ambiguous, incomplete and seldom present a meaningful perspective.
    If a dealer is willing to let a sale go out the door; rather than close the deal... that's his choice.
    The Sale is probably the least important part of the expeiience... It's the SERVICE that'll keep you coming back for more!

We also shouldn't forget that the dealers AREN'T in business to give us the "Best Deal" (Whatever that it may be...). They're in business to feed thair families, and provide jobs. They're not doing this for thier health, and I don't begrudge them their profits!

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Spyder or when I buy a vehicle I stop looking at other prices or deals others get. Just like when I buy airline tickets...you purchase when you see the price you can afford! Then I look no more...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...A wise course of action...
    The "Woulda, shoulda, couldas", can eat you up!

Spyder Garage

...A wise course of action...
    The "Woulda, shoulda, couldas", can eat you up!

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Every one is entitled to their opinion in the USA, I don't agree with the statement but then that is my opinion, lol. Some people are not hagglers so having an idea what average selling prices are can be a great assistance in determining which dealer to buy from. In my case I received a fair trade value and paid full price for the bike but it all comes out in the wash. I could have cut the price another $500 if I went 70 miles further south but I like my local dealer, their service. That being said I am sure I could have haggled to get the 500 but I chose not to. They have overhead to maintain and if we lose this dealer we have to driver over 80 miles to get to the next one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Their is always value to be found in keeping a good local dealer in business...

Spyder Garage

Their is always value to be found in keeping a good local dealer in business...
    You got that right! Tom