Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat-bypass Installing problems

So I have gotten my cat-bypass from Pitbull and now I need some install trick or something. I was able to get the cat-bypass removed with no problems. Now when I am trying to install the new I hit a roadblock......... I have placed the gaskets on the down pipe and then we are trying to slide the cat-bypass pipes onto the down pipes, its no go? It is almost as if the gaskets are to big or the pipe to the cat-bypass is too small. What I do know after hours to trying it's still not on. Anyone installed a by-pass and could offer a little advise? I really don't want to put the cat back on to ride?

Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

Default Put right side partially on then move left down pipe to fit over cat bypass pipe

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    So I have gotten my cat-bypass from Pitbull and now I need some install trick or something. I was able to get the cat-bypass removed with no problems. Now when I am trying to install the new I hit a roadblock......... I have placed the gaskets on the down pipe and then we are trying to slide the cat-bypass pipes onto the down pipes, its no go? It is almost as if the gaskets are to big or the pipe to the cat-bypass is too small. What I do know after hours to trying it's still not on. Anyone installed a by-pass and could offer a little advise? I really don't want to put the cat back on to ride?

The left down-pipe (#1 exhaust pipe) has a little play in order to move around to adjust to fit into cat bypass pipe.
    I slid the right side up into down pipe a little, then moved left around to slide both sides up together.
    It helps if someone can hold cat bypass pipes up as you move left down pipe around to fit.
    Also you can use a floor jack to hold up cat bypass pipes.
    I put gaskets inside cat bypass pipes, but first you may need to bend cat bypass pipe slots open a little bit.
    The pipe clamps will squeeze bypass pipe slots tight when mounted.
    Hope this helps.
    Not easy, but doe-able.
    Call Lamont tomorrow morning if you are still not able to get bypass pipes on.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Had a little trouble getting the gaskets into the right side pipe as opposed to left which was easy then had a friend help hold it up there while I gently whacked the unit up until both sides were all the way up. Noticed there was no spring on left side no room for it, maybe these were for either models? Did your have the springs holding it up on the left side? Thank God I had a brake spring tool hard to get pliers up there without yanking the Tupperware. All in all took me almost 2 hours taking my time. Drove it love what it did for my upper mid range 5500-9000 rpm, lower jurys still out. Understand the ECM etc take some time to adjust to the new air flow figure a few tanks of gas and it should run optimally.

Living the dream while I still can!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat. I've got the Spyder up on Jack stands and all the Tupperware off so easy access to everything. The OEM cat came right off but I've been fighting with the re installation for a week now. I did have to reorder another set of front pipe gaskets (priority shipping, another $60). I have the same issue with tolerances between the by-pass and the front pipes. I did bend the cat by pass tabs out last night and had the right side most of the way up (I had to be uncomfortably aggressive with the rubber mallet) but the clamps will not fit around the pipe to clamp/bend the pipe back. I'm not sure if they are strong enough to actually do that as the stainless steel pipe is pretty heavy duty.

I spoke to Lamont last night and he indicated that there has not been any reported issues with fitment. With a rubber mallet and an extra pair of hands I have failed at completing this mod. I'm off to Honda to see if I can get another set of gaskets today and will try again.

It shouldn't be this difficult, I anxiously wait for more input from those that have succeeded at this mod.

i want to ride this weekend
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

One glad to see I'm not the only one with an issue. Funny asked about the spring on the left side because I bought another, I thought my was just missing.......Guess not! . As far as the install I am going to give it a shot again tonight after all the kids activities. THANKS for the input I will let you all know how it goes tonight.

Spyder Garage

one thing i have learned in life is, when something gives you a problem, stop and walk away for a lil than go back to it, believe it or not it works with a clear head
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Cat-bypass install

NO luck today.......before helping my hands had to go to bed. OK not too upset my helping hands are that of my son who has state semi finals DII Rugby game in the morning , they are three games away from state champs.

OK on to the bike update! I spent a few hours struggling and then decided to start over. I decided to reverse the removal for the install.

1. installed the muffler to the by-pass
    2. installed the muffler on the bike
    3. hung the by-pass on the rubber grommet near the rear tire

Those step looked like it lines everything up very well!

4. started messing with trying to get the by-pass on the down pipes and still struggled.
    5. removed everything from the bike again to try to open on the pipes on the by-pass

Now I wait tell tomorrow after the game to try again.......hoping for the best.....UGHHH! hardest mod i have done I hope it pays off!

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I've got the Spyder up on Jack stands and all the Tupperware off so easy access to everything. The OEM cat came right off but I've been fighting with the re installation for a week now. I did have to reorder another set of front pipe gaskets (priority shipping, another $60). I have the same issue with tolerances between the by-pass and the front pipes. I did bend the cat by pass tabs out last night and had the right side most of the way up (I had to be uncomfortably aggressive with the rubber mallet) but the clamps will not fit around the pipe to clamp/bend the pipe back. I'm not sure if they are strong enough to actually do that as the stainless steel pipe is pretty heavy duty.

I spoke to Lamont last night and he indicated that there has not been any reported issues with fitment. With a rubber mallet and an extra pair of hands I have failed at completing this mod. I'm off to Honda to see if I can get another set of gaskets today and will try again.

It shouldn't be this difficult, I anxiously wait for more input from those that have succeeded at this mod.

i want to ride this weekend
    where in CT are you if close to me i could give you a hand

Spyder Garage

Just a tip I figured out when installing that other brand bypass that is notorious for not fitting well....

Loosen the four nuts on each head pipe. Do not remove them. This will give considerable play in the pipes at the cat connection and allow you to fit them. Once hung, you can tighten every thing up.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My Update.....
    I was not able to find a Can Am or Honda dealer with front pipe gaskets yesterday. The existing gaskets were in the by pass and a little chewed up but I went for it anyway. I was not able to get them out of the pipe so I left them there. I had already flared the ends of the by pass and with the help of my son we were able to get the pipe installed. I'm somewhat concerned about the condition of the gaskets with the amount of force required with the rubber mallet but it's done. One thing different on yesterday's install was that I wedged a 2X4 between the left header pipe and the gas tank because there is a good amount of movement on that side. That side also seemed to go on much easier than the right side and the right side is where I had to use the most persuasion with the mallet. Once installed the clamps on the by pass to header did pull the pipes together but not as much as I would have liked. I didn't want to break the clamps so I stopped tightening when I felt they were maxed out. I also made sure I installed springs on both sides to help hold things together. I think the inside diameter of the by pass should have been slightly larger. I really didn't like using vice grips on that new pipe, flaring it open, to be able to get it to go on the header pipe and there was no way mine was going on without doing that. My fingers are crossed that the gaskets hold up and that the clamps were able to tighten the by pass sufficiently onto the header pipe.

On a positive note the changes in sound and power were very noticeable to me. Once everything was reassembled I started the engine and let it run for 10-15 minutes. When it first started you could tell there was some computer adjustments going on as it was searching for an idle and ran a little rough. I revved the engine multiple times during that warm up period and it did smooth out and the idle became perfectly steady. I was only able to get in about a 20 mile ride due to other commitments but it definitely has increased power and low end torque. The sound is also louder, a little deeper and I'm happy with the new change. I'd have to agree this was probably the most challenging mod I've done but as long as everything hold up I'll be a happy camper.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just a tip I figured out when installing that other brand bypass that is notorious for not fitting well....

Loosen the four nuts on each head pipe. Do not remove them. This will give considerable play in the pipes at the cat connection and allow you to fit them. Once hung, you can tighten every thing up.
    That's a great idea
    SpydermanCT

Spyder Garage

Default Still trying

SpydermanCT! Glad to hear you have the problems worked out! Still Struggleing here! I was VERY close yesterday! had the pipes installed but the left side clamp was pinched and I could not get to the bolt. So I removed the pipes again went to install then had to take a break due to vertgo issues I have. Laying flat under the bike all this time set me off spinning! UGH! . So unless some little Spyder Fairies come in It iwll be a few more days for me. I can not wiat to hear the and feel the differance!

jcthorme, THANKS I will for sure give this a try!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cat by-pass is installed YEA!

So my story comes to an end! We did it the cat-baypass in on. The hours spent are worth it. My son and I took about a 200 mile ride this weekend and.......less heat, deeper sound, and WOW MORE low end torque. Very happy NOW! it was a hard Mod for sure, but that makes it even sweeter. My suggestions if I did it again is have a lift! We used ramps but it would be better to get the Spyder up more. Also have time and someone to help and a lot of patience. Thanks for all advice, it all helped and kept me working because i though that it was never going to fit.

So here is how we ended up getting the job done:

1. Opened up the flanges using vies grips and just started slowly prying. I was scared that we opened them up to much but not the case. Yes, I will admit I didn't like doing this but it had to be done.

2. We started the right side first and then put a floor jack under that side of the pipe. With just enough pressure to hold it on.

3. We then got the left side pipe on using a another floor jack with pressure holding the pipe on. This side was harder because of less room to work.

4. We then reattached all the grommets and brackets the best we could at the time

5. Using the floor jacks we started lifting the pipe/ bike up slowly! this worked GREAT! no beating on the bike or nothing the weight of the Spyder and the up pressure of the jacks everything went right into place.

6. When then got the the muffler up and tightened all the bolts..... yea not so easy on the clamps. Then released the floor jacks.

7. Started the Spyder and let it run o make computer adjustments

8. Went riding.......LMAO! Ok the first ride didn't go so well..........LETS JUST SAY DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE SPRINGS BACK ON! LMAO.

9. Came home re-installed the pipe and rode again!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!

love a saga with a happy ending. Good to know it all went together nicely in the end even though it looked bleak at times..congrats and now enjoy the job well done..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cat by-pass

I just ordered my cat bypass for my 2013 Rt and want to do it myself, but I know that won't happen after reading the comments. I'm clueless on my bike and want to learn by doing or watching someone help me. TIme will tell I should have it next week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    I just ordered my cat bypass for my 2013 Rt and want to do it myself, but I know that won't happen after reading the comments. I'm clueless on my bike and want to learn by doing or watching someone help me. TIme will tell I should have it next week.

Shana, where are you located......I would love to help if I can.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    Shana, where are you located......I would love to help if I can.
    I'm in Northern VA. Come on I would welcome it.

Spyder Garage

Default Sent you PM

sent you PM

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spyderyderjim;811411]The left down-pipe (#1 exhaust pipe) has a little play in order to move around to adjust to fit into cat bypass pipe.
    I slid the right side up into down pipe a little, then moved left around to slide both sides up together.
    It helps if someone can hold cat bypass pipes up as you move left down pipe around to fit.
    Also you can use a floor jack to hold up cat bypass pipes.
    I put gaskets inside cat bypass pipes, but first you may need to bend cat bypass pipe slots open a little bit.
    The pipe clamps will squeeze bypass pipe slots tight when mounted.
    Hope this helps.
    Not easy, but doe-able.
    Call Lamont tomorrow morning if you are still not able to get bypass pipes on.
    Jim[/QUOTE

Jim, you still have not answered my question. Why did you install a CAT bypass if the 2014 has no heat problems????

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

where did you order from? i tried two sites and had no luck! one was lamonsterinc.com

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=mailman1pc;829216]where did you order from? i tried two sites and had no luck! one was lamonsterinc.com[/QUOTE

PitBull has them in stock. $349

JackSpyderLover sponser. Add is on home page
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Just a note on the V Band clamps- it helps if you tighten them til the nut gets tight, then tap on the sides of the clamp and tighten again. This helps seat those clamps and gives a better seal.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Just thought about this too. Some have mentioned the springs on the pipes. Here is what I've been using for several years as a spring removal/install tool.

spring tool.jpg This is a headlight spring tool. About $6.00 bucks (when I bought mine) or less at any parts house. I use it on many types of spring applications from mowers to tractor trailers.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jim, you still have not answered my question. Why did you install a CAT bypass if the 2014 has no heat problems????

Jack
    Dunno about Jim but I didn't/don't have any heat problems for driver or passenger on my 2012, I did the cat bypass because the cat sits low to the ground and I park on leaves and grass. No asphalt drives out here on the farm. The heat issue is concern over starting a fire under the spyder.

Slightly better mpgs and performance will be a nice added benefit if it happens.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n