Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited possible purchase

Hi all
    New to the forum
    We are looking at the possible purchase of a 2012 RT limited with apx 7000 miles . The bike is a one owner who traded it in for a 2014 and appears to be well kept.
    The bike is for my wife, she is taken with the Spyder and has decided she wants one. Also when I give up 2 wheels the bike also appeals to me.(current ride is a FJR1300)

I would appreciate any advise as to any problem areas to be aware of while test driving the RT

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

Default YES

Quote Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
    Hi all
    New to the forum
    We are looking at the possible purchase of a 2012 RT limited with apx 7000 miles . The bike is a one owner who traded it in for a 2014 and appears to be well kept.
    The bike is for my wife, she is taken with the Spyder and has decided she wants one. Also when I give up 2 wheels the bike also appeals to me.(current ride is a FJR1300)

I would appreciate any advise as to any problem areas to be aware of while test driving the RT

Thanks in advance
    Jeff
    Great pick..........can not go wrong !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
    Hi all
    New to the forum

Thanks in advance
    Jeff
    Could be the best of the breed.

@ 7,000 all it should need is a rear tire.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of things that you might want to keep in mind...
    Since it's an SE-5 equipped bike (With the paddle shifters...), you should know that keeping the engine revs up to at LEAST 3,500 rpm or so helps to keep the clutch plates happy.
    Reason? It's not until that point that the centrifugal engagement system fully locks up the engagement of those plates. Let them slip too much, and ...
    Checking the rear tire has been mentioned... Don't forget the REAR brakes! They're usually worn out about twice as fast as the ones up front.
    Belt tension and alignment are pretty darn important; are service records available?
    Engine oil levels are pretty important on the 998 engines... About the first place that they manifest a low oil condition, is in the shifting. Make sure that your are given proper instructions on how to check the oil levels correctly.
    (This is a dry sump engine, so the process is kind of important)

I sure didn't mean to scare you; the 2012s are recognized as the best of the "998 RTs", so
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We love ours. Rear brake pads wear quickly.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses I will question the dealer about service records
    My wife is really excited about the bike( me too just love getting new toys)

Spyder Garage

Default RT 2012

From what I hear this is the best model they ever had.

I had mine for more then a year with 23,000 miles of fun.

You will sure enjoy it.
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

Default Great Choice

I own and ryde the 2012 RTS-SE5! Right now, I have a little over 12,500 miles on it. I have heard it said on this site that the back tire wears fast. That may be true, but...I am still on the original tire with no signs of excessive wear. The RT is probably one of the most comfortable of all the Spyders (Biased opinion, mind you). Just a word to the wise, make sure you check your oil regularly. Anywhere between 300 to 500 miles at speeds of 65 or greater, the RT seems to use (burn) a little oil. A splash every once in awhile won't hurt. But make sure you check before you add any additional oil. And the best advice I could give...Go out there and enjoy the ride!!!!! Be safe!!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooooo... Tell us about what prompted your screen name?
    Or better yet; post some pics of it!

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RT-LTD and absolutely no issues with it. Of all the 1st gen RT's IMHO that's the one to get.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Good pic for a used Spyder

Our 2012 RT Limited was traded only due to the new engine/transmission on the 2014 RT. Otherwise, we would be happy with it.

We rode 7,650 miles on our 2012 RT Limited - no significant issues. You may get a little belt vibration, but that's "normal" for the Spyders and you can get a smoothspyder tensioner to help with that.

We had ZERO mechanical or electrical/electronic issues with this bike. We NEVER got stuck anywhere with it and it was extremely reliable.

The 2012 RT IMHO is a good bike!

Good luck with your decision to buy!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you covered. Due diligence of checking with the previous owner, and looking at the service records should give you all the information you need. If the previous owner is on SL, a look at their previous posts will give you information about the also.

Across the board, the 2012 seems to be the best of the 998's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 12 RT AND my friend bought a used 12 RT. I THINK IT WAS A GREAT YEAR!!!!
    2010 was the first year for the RT AND 2012 was the last year of that design. I don't think you could go wrong. Especially w low mileage.
    ENJOY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile screen name

Bob
    the screen name is driven by my other toy, a 1968 convertible vette I bought in 1990 while living in CA. I have had the screen name for other forums and am not creative enough to come up with a new screen name
    It is a 427 bored and stroked to a 492 pulling about 500 hp at the fly wheel according to the computer generated configuration. I also added a 5 speed manual over drive to help keep the RPMs down. I enjoy driving it when not on the Yamaha FJR1300. Hopefully my wife will allow me to drive the RT on occasion
    I will post some Pics with the vette and the RT after the purchase

Also again thanks for all the input about the RT
    Jeff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a 1968; packing a 492...
    Well-played; Sir! VERY well-played...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only things done to my 2012 and they were under warranty. Rear shock replaced, front engine seal ( is a known issue, if there is any hint of antifreeze or oil after parking it) besides that as stated above it was a good year! Only other things I have done is change the oil and ride it!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

to this site..you picked a winner. Low mileage and well kept. You will love it and once you get the hang of it you will be on one as well..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Go for it .The. 2012 is the best year produced on the RT.I bought my 2012 RT Limited just on 2 years ago and turned 28000 miles today.Absolutely trouble free.Its a great bike and imtend keepin it for a good few year
    ivor.

Spyder Garage

Just remember to not ride the brake or it will on into limp mode.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A few months ago I trade d a 08 spyder for a 2012 rts and it is Great, good luck with your new ride and welcome

Spyder Garage

And On your pending Purchase

Of both Vette and new Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Your wife will love her Spyder. In case you might have missed it, there is a great thread devoted to new riders that you may find of interest:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

You did not say where in SC you are,but if you are buying from Velocity PowerSports in Ladson,SC you picked the best dealer/service center in the state! they will take care of you as they have taking care of my wife(SDM) and me with our The wife just traded her 2011 RTS for a 2014 RTL and I have a 2011 RS. If your near or coming this way let us know and maybe we can get together for a ryde or something.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

on the 2012 ever body here has given you grate advise,make sure they show you how to check the oil,its different than any other bike out there and ive just bought my 55th bike 30 days ago.and the oil needs to be right as the trannie has to be full to shift right,very inportant thing to know.if you need a back tire and brakes hav the dealer install as part of the deal.now ride and have fun welcome to this site you can get all things spyder answered here.