Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW!! JT'S AIR FILTER KIT!!

I took the plunge this weekend and decided to install JT's air filter kit to my ST-S. I have not had any severe heat issues, but felt that any additional room that could be created under the tupperware would help to dissipate the heat. I had seen 900Dave's post last week under SpyderST-Sport Touring and decided to attempt it. It took me about two hours of struggling to get the air box and resonator out AFTER I had removed all the tupperware. But with 900Dave's assistance with pm's and phone calls, I got it done. And I am not very mechanically inclined. I actually had to cut out part of the air box with a dremel tool to get it out. But once everything was out, I couldn't believe the room in the engine compartment. You could hide a three year old kid in there!!!! Installing JT's kit took about 20 minutes and was a breeze. All hardware was included and the instructions were very clear. After riding this afternoon, I definitely believe my engine is running cooler and I love the throaty growl when upshifting. My sincere thanks to 900Dave and JT. For $195 and free shipping this was money well spent.

Also, I think my dealer will really appreciate the extra room under the tupperware if he ever has to change out my throttle body. And changing spark plugs and wires will be a breeze when the time comes, as they are now very easy to get to.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I could not stand how loud it was with this filter, she really honks even when cruising.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

The airbox is the problem for most. Seems the RT and ST's have complicated air boxes. The RS is an easy removal. The install of the the kit is quite easy and as you saw gave you lots of room. The sad thing is your shop will still charge you flat rate and not consider the time saving changes you made for them. Do love the sound as well but then may not be what others would like. Ah well you give a little you gain a little...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I took the plunge this weekend and decided to install JT's air filter kit to my ST-S. I have not had any severe heat issues, but felt that any additional room that could be created under the tupperware would help to dissipate the heat. I had seen 900Dave's post last week under SpyderST-Sport Touring and decided to attempt it. It took me about two hours of struggling to get the air box and resonator out AFTER I had removed all the tupperware. But with 900Dave's assistance with pm's and phone calls, I got it done. And I am not very mechanically inclined. I actually had to cut out part of the air box with a dremel tool to get it out. But once everything was out, I couldn't believe the room in the engine compartment. You could hide a three year old kid in there!!!! Installing JT's kit took about 20 minutes and was a breeze. All hardware was included and the instructions were very clear. After riding this afternoon, I definitely believe my engine is running cooler and I love the throaty growl when upshifting. My sincere thanks to 900Dave and JT. For $195 and free shipping this was money well spent.

Also, I think my dealer will really appreciate the extra room under the tupperware if he ever has to change out my throttle body. And changing spark plugs and wires will be a breeze when the time comes, as they are now very easy to get to.
    Other than the Tupperware and mirrors what else had to be removed. Did you have to remove any frame supports or did you just cut the pieces out as needed. I am almost regretting buying this kit as I did not realize it was going to be such a pain to install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Other than the Tupperware and mirrors what else had to be removed. Did you have to remove any frame supports or did you just cut the pieces out as needed. I am almost regretting buying this kit as I did not realize it was going to be such a pain to install.
    You can get everything out without cutting anything. It is real tight but it comes out. I had to move the wiring harness a little and when you are about to lose your patience and get the hammer walk away take a deep breath and come back in ten minutes. That is what I did and I have reinstalled the OEM air box and it goes back in as hard as it comes out.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I thought JT had come up with some sound management options for this install.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

All that & no pics? On smooth project

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I thought JT had come up with some sound management options for this install.
    Yes he has the outer foam option for sound management
    $25.00

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement paper air filter for JT's air filter kit. Which one fits?

MOdel and part number for a replacement paper filter for this Jt kit? How about the smaller round filter that fits into the round rubber tube on right side of engine?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Squared Away, Joe & Ann, are coming to Kalamazoo June 27,28 & 29 to do alignments, If you contact them I beleave they will install JT's kit for you. Plus you can get Squared Away.
    Last edited by Frank G; 03-30-2016 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
    MOdel and part number for a replacement paper filter for this Jt kit? How about the smaller round filter that fits into the round rubber tube on right side of engine?
    It's listed in the description of the Air Filter Kit.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Air box removal video

I have not been able to find a video showing the removal of the ain't box on an STL or even an RT? Can anyone point me to one?

Spyder Garage

I added the K&N air filter replacement yesterday after I installed the cat bypass pipes from Pitbull. It is a major job just getting to the airbox. WOW, my second attempt but I finally managed to get it done. After getting my STL laser aligned last week Im looking forward to some major improvements in performance.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Is there only 1 place to buy the air cleaner kit ? Place I found dont have them on hand.
    2012 RT , Bajaron plugs n wires Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who knows what might have happened in the FIVE YEARS since the last post?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Who knows what might have happened in the FIVE YEARS since the last post?

Lot's of water under the bridge for sure in the last five years...

JT

Spyder Garage

Are you still making the kit?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chromehorse View Post
    Is there only 1 place to buy the air cleaner kit ? Place I found dont have them on hand.
    This is an old post ..... I hope you realize that the only thing this part achieves is .... it's noisier, no more power and I don't see how the engine is going to run " cooler " ..... the air that the Throttle bodies are using is coming directly off the engine, so that's not any cooler..... Waaaaaaay back I made a COLD air intake for my GS and RSS V-twin ... I stopped having " over-heating issues ", power was about the same ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Not quite correct Mike, it does create more room around the engine and make servicing the engine easier. It is noisier ,but putting the muffler on that JT sells also helps alot. I am a touring rider and very sensitive to noise on long rides. With the muffler on and at crusing speed I don't notice any extra intake roar. I do notice it under acceleration,but that doesn't last long. It really does make service much easier. When I took the factory box and resonator out I knew would not want to fight the battle of trying to get it back in. As I age I find my frustrarion tolerance level has gone way down.
    For those trying to get this,I think JT was the only one who ever sold this and with the demise of the VTwin,he may not keep it in stock any more. Call or email him. If there is enought demand he may make up a few. JTSpyderstore.com showes he has 3 in stock.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Mike has some good points which should be considered. Everything in life is a trade-off. There are no exceptions. You have to decide what is most important to you, and what you are willing to give up to get it.

I am running the JT Air Cleaner system, and I love it. But like everything else, this will not be a universal experience. Mike is probably right about any significant power increase. Though it definitely SOUNDS more powerful with the JT Air Cleaner. Which brings us to the second point. It does introduce a lot more noise, depending on the amount of throttle being used. That gigantic, monstrous air box (Bigger than anything I've had on any car or truck) you're replacing isn't there just to fill up the open space (which it does an admirable job of, by the way). Which brings us to the 3rd point. The vast open spaces you have to work in and the infinitely improved ease of access to previously evil engineering requiring you to risk losing your sanity trying to get to a Spark Plug, Throttle Body or Air Filter.

JT has since added a noise reduction component. It helps, but you still can't call it quiet. I modified my install by using the vortex portion of the OEM air box. I honestly think it helps. But I did not try it before so I can't be sure. In my case, I find that it gives a very mean, throaty growl under hard acceleration, and settles down to a mild output at cruise. That works for me in the sound department. And I love the access.

As for the hot air, I have to agree with Mike, at least to some degree (no pun intended). At stop & go or slow speeds, you are definitely going to suck in some heated, engine compartment air unless you add some type of cold air intake system. Which I have not done. A cold air intake would probably help mitigate the noise somewhat.

On the other hand, I do not have the Fog Lights installed. I had them at one time but they were a waste, in my opinion. I went a different direction for that task. The OEM fog lights are mounted too high and too far back on the Frunk to be effective. So much for the 'All Knowing Engineers'. They just light up the front of the Spyder with no real benefit. I went with LED's mounted low on the front of the Frunk. They work much better and it opens up those 2 fog light ports for a cold air RAM type effect. I also removed the lower splash panels to give the hot are somewhere to go and wrapped my exhaust pipes with exhaust tape. With the huge open area in the engine compartment achieved with the JT system, I think I've got a reasonable setup for air intake temps. At speed, I am getting a pretty good flow of ambient air through the engine compartment. It keeps me, the motor and interior components, including the fuel tank, much cooler.

At some point I am going to install a thermal sensor to find out exactly what air temps are entering the air cleaner in different situations. That should be interesting.

So, in my case, I don't think my intake air is as hot as it could be. Though I don't have hard data yet to prove it.

Did I mention how nice it is to have all that room to work with under the hood now?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-20-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Mike has some good points which should be considered. Everything in life is a trade-off. There are no exceptions. You have to decide what is most important to you, and what you are willing to give up to get it.

I am running the JT Air Cleaner system, and I love it. But like everything else, this will not be a universal experience. Mike is probably right about any significant power increase. Though it definitely SOUNDS more powerful with the JT Air Cleaner. Which brings us to the second point. It does introduce a lot more noise, depending on the amount of throttle being used. That gigantic, monstrous air box (Bigger than anything I've had on any car or truck) you're replacing isn't there just to fill up the open space (which it does an admirable job of, by the way). Which brings us to the 3rd point. The vast open spaces you have to work in and the infinitely improved ease of access to previously evil engineering requiring you to risk losing your sanity trying to get to a Spark Plug, Throttle Body or Air Filter.

JT has since added a noise reduction component. It helps, but you still can't call it quiet. I modified my install by using the vortex portion of the OEM air box. I honestly think it helps. But I did not try it before so I can't be sure. In my case, I find that it gives a very mean, throaty growl under hard acceleration, and settles down to a mild output at cruise. That works for me in the sound department. And I love the access.

As for the hot air, I have to agree with Mike, at least to some degree (no pun intended). At stop & go or slow speeds, you are definitely going to suck in some heated, engine compartment air unless you add some type of cold air intake system. Which I have not done. A cold air intake would probably help mitigate the noise somewhat.

On the other hand, I do not have the Fog Lights installed. I had them at one time but they were a waste, in my opinion. I went a different direction for that task. The OEM fog lights are mounted too high and too far back on the Frunk to be effective. So much for the 'All Knowing Engineers'. They just light up the front of the Spyder with no real benefit. I went with LED's mounted low on the front of the Frunk. They work much better and it opens up those 2 fog light ports for a cold air RAM type effect. I also removed the lower splash panels to give the hot are somewhere to go and wrapped my exhaust pipes with exhaust tape. With the huge open area in the engine compartment achieved with the JT system, I think I've got a reasonable setup for air intake temps. At speed, I am getting a pretty good flow of ambient air through the engine compartment. It keeps me, the motor and interior components, including the fuel tank, much cooler.

At some point I am going to install a thermal sensor to find out exactly what air temps are entering the air cleaner in different situations. That should be interesting.

So, in my case, I don't think my intake air is as hot as it could be. Though I don't have hard data yet to prove it.

Did I mention how nice it is to have all that room to work with under the hood now?
    Ron, it's been discussed on this Forum by Me, and by people a lot smarter than me - that " old school " ie. Pre-Computer controlled engine management Systems, that those Power mods will be canceled by the BRP computer and then Adjusted back to the original OEM settings ....... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ron, it's been discussed on this Forum by Me, and by people a lot smarter than me - that " old school " ie. Pre-Computer controlled engine management Systems, that those Power mods will canceled by the BRP computer and then Adjusted back to the original OEM settings ....... good luck .... Mike
    Not claiming to be an expert either. I have to disagree. The computer's function is not to cancel out any potential improvement in the intake/exhaust process. The computer's function is to optimize (within it's range of variation and ability) whatever changes it finds, good or bad. The sensors sample any number of parameters from air volume and temperature entering the throttle body, to parameters in the exhaust and many more. If the computer senses more air volume entering the throttle body, it will compensate (to a point) with additional fuel to maintain the programmed Air to Fuel ratio. It isn't going to attempt to restrict the air flow back to stock. I am not sure how it would even accomplish this unless it altered the throttle body butterflies WOT point.

Granted, once you reach the limits of the computer's ability to compensate, you have reached the limits of any potential increase in power or performance with the stock computer. So there is definitely a limit. But to assume that the computer has no ability to compensate beyond the OEM state I think is incorrect. The amount of compensation is definitely limited. This is why the Power Commander is useful when larger changes are made. They effectively expand the range of compensation of the OEM computer.

It is fun to speculate though. Everyone has an opinion. That's the way it should be.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-20-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

I asked the question, because I had seen some people years ago talking about the unit JT was building, then it went off the radar!! I am about to need a set of plugs and wires, and I am beating myself up trying to decide if I want to tackle the job!! What I do know is if I do that job, and I get that GD air box out of there, I would love to not fight the thing the next time I need plugs and wires again. I am not one for making my bike louder by no means, and if it was going to make it that way maybe I would pass on the upgrade! But I still need the plugs! It looks like a real tug, but if I dive into it, it will most likely be a piece of cake, like most things I have tackled on the darn thing!!! Wish I had a friend that had done it before, for the moral support!!! I will do some soul searching and make the discussion before winter!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't like the fact that the Spyder cant sit out in the rain with that filter kit.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Looks like he has a cover for that, I think that's what it is?!! I'll have to give him a call, or email and talk to him! Ron has his air cleaner on, don't think he's having any troubles with it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl