Thread: Oil Cjhanges

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Cjhanges

How difficult is it to change the oil and such on a 2013 RT limited and to do some of the other service items yourself??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did mine and no problem other then they (factory) had the drain plugs in so darn tight I almost striped the torx socket out. That would have been the pits. Make sure you know which trans. filter you have ,Long or short . so you have the right filter on hand and the screws for the filter caps (engine & trans) are different don't mix them up. I also got rid of the cheap drain plugs and put in some Dimple Mag plugs with a 13MM . Hex Head, not cheap but I think worth every penny. Also used Spectro full synthetic oil. Had a pair of ramps made from 4 pieces of 1*6 boards to raise the front up a bit to get under the trike to get the bottom pan off.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's not bad to change the oil, get the oil change kit from the dealer, it will have all of the needed things like the filters o rings and crush washers. 2013s should have the longer trans filter from the factory.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Leaving rh bottom panel off

I have seen posts relative to leaving bottom RH panel off all together after an oil change. This would certainly make future changes easy!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    I did mine and no problem other then they (factory) had the drain plugs in so darn tight I almost striped the torx socket out. That would have been the pits. Make sure you know which trans. filter you have ,Long or short . so you have the right filter on hand and the screws for the filter caps (engine & trans) are different don't mix them up. I also got rid of the cheap drain plugs and put in some Dimple Mag plugs with a 13MM . Hex Head, not cheap but I think worth every penny. Also used Spectro full synthetic oil. Had a pair of ramps made from 4 pieces of 1*6 boards to raise the front up a bit to get under the trike to get the bottom pan off.
    Caution: The drain plugs are NOT Torx. They are hex (Allen) head drain plugs. None of the filter bolts are Torx either. I do mine and take a lot of time. I get it done in about 2 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    Caution: The drain plugs are NOT Torx. They are hex (Allen) head drain plugs. None of the filter bolts are Torx either. I do mine and take a lot of time. I get it done in about 2 hours.
    6mm Allen for the two drain plugs.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"