Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Get well soon - your Spyder family is thinking about you

Quote Originally Posted by Jwenzen View Post
    All three are out of the hospital. Sara may still require shoulder surgery. Doctor wants to hold out. Both Sean (Deke) and Greta suffered concussions and bumps and bruises, but will be ok. All three were thrown from their bikes. This accident woke me up to why to wear good riding gear. All three were and all three will survive. Not sure that could have been said without proper helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, boots etc.
    I would personally like to shout out to everyone for the thoughts, prayers, and concerns. God is good for sure. Ryde safe!

May God speed their healing, thank goodness for their protective gear.

DubuqueSpyderRyder

Spyder Garage

Wishing them a speedy recovery.

Spyder Garage

Best wishes for all of them. A quick and full recovery
    A couple lessons to "think about"
    ATGATT , You just never know
    Take a refresher course every couple years or at least go to parking lot and think/pratice emergency skills. Play/talk about a what if game while sitting around a after a ride. What are the hand signals ? What do I do if ? Following distance and why ?
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad everyone will be ok...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default for sure

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jwenzen View Post
    Not a highway accident. A group of seven or so were riding back form the fest. Out of respect for friends I don't want to get into details. Lets just say that everyone that gets behind the wheel bears respnsibility when it comes to accident prevention. Leaders, sweeps, and everyone in between. Accidents within your own group to me are the worst to see. Because you re all brothers and sisters. Take a riding course, always refresh your skills. I know I will be.
    it is better to wait for those involved to let us know, and only if they choose to. While it would be nice to know, so we all can learn from it. We never know if legal, or other issues are involved. I am sure when those involved are ready to let us know; they will at the right time.

PS. Praying for a speedy recovery.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I guess I should stop riding in tennis shoes, shorts and a tshirt in the summer...how do you ride with all that gear and not melt??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyers278 View Post
    I guess I should stop riding in tennis shoes, shorts and a tshirt in the summer...how do you ride with all that gear and not melt??
    Get good summer gear. You'll be cooler in a good mesh jacket than that t-shirt as your sweat won't instantly dry..it'll have a chance to cool you off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Saying a thank you that everyone is OK.

Spyder Garage

Deacon Smith posted on facebook that one spyder was making a right turn and another rider failed to complete the turn and ran into the turning spyder.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I live in the Southern California desert. This is what I do when it is hot--as in over 100:
    1. Water...lots of it, in the saddlebags, down the throat.
    2. Cooling vest soaked in water.
    3. Armoured mesh jacket over the vest.
    4. Armored mesh over pants.
    5. Tactical, breathable boots.
    6. Stop every 45 mins to hour to drink water and resoak the vest with water.
    7. Helmet, open face with lots of vents.
    8. Sunglasses
    9. Mesh type racing gloves.
    10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

If I stop sweating I stop riding immediately and guzzle water until I start sweating, then wait to cool down before I start riding again.

It is a pain in the a$$ getting ready to go, but when I went down, I got back up. I slid on the pavement about 40 feet. I still have a head because of the helmet. I had ONLY a dislocated shoulder and two cracked ribs because of the jacket. I had no road rash at all. My feet were not injured. I had chipped a piece off my kneecap, that is still "loose" in my knee. (Did you know that injuries to toes, feet, and ankles account for 39% of motorcycle based injuries and that boots eliminate 73% of those injuries.). Edit: I forgot my hands: they were completely uninsured. My $90 riding gloves were destroyed though.

people who don't gear up are, in my opinion, no different than adolescents who deny that taking drugs can seriously hurt them. Gearing up is just part of the sport. If someone wants to be cool, warm, not need to use muscles and get tired, or if one wants things quiet without using ear protection, then a motorcycle is not for them.

...and, yes, there are times when it is too hot for me to Ryde. When it is 105 or more, I use an air conditioned cage...and I ride about 13,000 miles a year.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 05-09-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

A nurse/rider old me if I stop for gas and don't have to hit the john I'm not drinking enough. It seems to work as a guideline in hot weather.

2014 White RTS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

I don't remember the accident due to the concussion I sustained. I'm bruised and sore, but I'll live.

I definitely want to give a shout-out about wearing proper riding gear! I've attached a picture of my helmet after the accident. Without it, there is no telling about the injuries! And the leather Can-Am jack definitely got broken in, and protected me from any road rash! So wear your gear!!

We're looking forward to getting the Spyder repaired and getting back on the road! Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Deke
    Attached Images Attached Images
    +Peace,

Deke

2105 RT-S SE5 Special Series (current)
    2012 RT A&C SE5 (previous)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

I don't remember the accident due to the concussion I sustained. I'm bruised and sore, but I'll live.

I definitely want to give a shout-out about wearing proper riding gear! I've attached a picture of my helmet after the accident. Without it, there is no telling about the injuries! And the leather Can-Am jack definitely got broken in, and protected me from any road rash! So wear your gear!!

We're looking forward to getting the Spyder repaired and getting back on the road! Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Deke
    I've been following this thread and praying for you 3. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are doing better. Please keep us updated on the recovery.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Deke;807502]Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

Glad you are all doing well! Our prayers are with you for a full recovery and that you are back to riding in the very near future! God's speed!
    2014 Spyder RT-LTD Cognac with Matching trailer - Wife's
    2014 Red Indian Chieftain - Mine
    2013 Yamaha FJR - Mine

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    they will all be alright. Proper gear is basic and should be worn at all times. Thoughts and 's for them...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that was one messed up helmet,, glad you had it on..yall get well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because sweating beats healing; by a LONG shot!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    I live in the Southern California desert. This is what I do when it is hot--as in over 100:
    8. Sunglasses
    10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

If I stop sweating I stop riding immediately and guzzle water until I start sweating, then wait to cool down before I start riding again.

It is a pain in the a$$ getting ready to go, but when I went down, I got back up. I slid on the pavement about 40 feet. I still have a head because of the helmet. I had ONLY a dislocated shoulder and two cracked ribs because of the jacket. I had no road rash at all. My feet were not injured. I had chipped a piece off my kneecap, that is still "loose" in my knee. (Did you know that injuries to toes, feet, and ankles account for 39% of motorcycle based injuries and that boots eliminate 73% of those injuries.). Edit: I forgot my hands: they were completely uninsured. My $90 riding gloves were destroyed though.

people who don't gear up are, in my opinion, no different than adolescents who deny that taking drugs can seriously hurt them. Gearing up is just part of the sport. If someone wants to be cool, warm, not need to use muscles and get tired, or if one wants things quiet without using ear protection, then a motorcycle is not for them.

...and, yes, there are times when it is too hot for me to Ryde. When it is 105 or more, I use an air conditioned cage...and I ride about 13,000 miles a year.
    I believe this about says it all. Deserves to be read and reread. then sit down with a cool ice tea and think about it.
    Two old time sayings. I would rather sweat a little at a stop then bleed...... If you have a $39.95 head. wear a $39.95 helmet. ( a long time a good helmet was about $100.00)
    Continued best wish for a full and compleat recovery.
    Oldmanzues.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    8. Sunglasses
    10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

I second this. After going down on a two-wheeler at 50 mph thanks to some jerk who turned in front of me, I will not ride without gear. After 9 months, I am still messing with my knee (only wearing jeans). Everything else was covered. My foot would have been toast because the damage on my boot was so bad. It sheered off three laces cauterizing one of them, took out much of the stitching, and melted the bottom. My gloves saved my hands too. As it was, my glove (Can Am mesh gloves) had a whole in the palm and somehow my wedding ring about an inch and a half away from the hole was ground down a bit. The mesh jacket (Can Am 2013 jacket) did a great job as well. It had a hole in the elbow and melted from the heat but it kept me safe.