Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RTS SE5 tach question

Hello everyone.

I picked up a 2010 rts last November and I've finally been able to get out on it.

Anyway, the Spyder has been running great but........ The analog tach decided to stop being accurate.

Reads about 1200 rpm low. Also, the outside Temperature read out is way off.

Is this the bad instrument cluster problem I've read about?

No codes in the computer. only 1500 miles on the bike.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

For the temp, all RT gauge read 2-3 degrees over. No problem for the RPM on mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    For the temp, all RT gauge read 2-3 degrees over. No problem for the RPM on mine.
    2-3? I wish mine did! It's like 5 over for me and most other 2010-11 RT's I have seen are about the same.

The can-buss provides the RPM to the cluster. If the analog gauge is not reading then something is wrong with it. I would go get it replaced if you care.

The Spyder is weird in that it has duplicate things for some things. e.g. RPM on a analog gauge and also the digital gauge. I do use my analog gauge for RPM but not for speed... The digital seems easier to read for speed.

I have also unplugged my analog gas and temp gauges because those are just not as accurate as the digitals. I now have added a analog voltage gauge where the analog temp gauge was and used my "hole" for the analog gas gauge for a RAM ball mount system.

My 2 cents.....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-08-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    2-3? I wish mine did! It's like 5 over for me and most other 2010-11 RT's I have seen are about the same.

The can-buss provides the RPM to the cluster. If the analog gauge is not reading then something is wrong with it. I would go get it replaced if you care.

The Spyder is weird in that it has duplicate things for some things. e.g. RPM on a analog gauge and also the digital gauge. I do use my analog gauge for RPM but not for speed... The digital seems easier to read for speed.

I have also unplugged my analog gas and temp gauges because those are just not as accurate as the digitals. I now have added a analog voltage gauge where the analog temp gauge was and used my "hole" for the analog gas gauge for a RAM ball mount system.

My 2 cents.....

Bob
    Thanks, so no big deal I guess. I might have to try to unplug the gas and temp gauges. Probably a how-to somewhere!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

the temp guage reads the temperature of the air flow to the throttle body and usually differs from your outside temp. If your comparing the digital tach to the analog tach there may be a problem with the needle dragging. You can get in there but would not try unless really nessesary. Check with your dealer for warranty coverage....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My spyder fixed itself! For some reason the tach worked great today.........I'm not going to argue with it.

My bike must have spent a lot of time sitting, lots of little issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by x1050er View Post
    My spyder fixed itself! For some reason the tach worked great today.........I'm not going to argue with it.

My bike must have spent a lot of time sitting, lots of little issues.
    A self-healing motorcycle!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I've had my analog tach read wrong RPMs before (digital read right) on my 2010 RT-SM5. BRP replaced the tach.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly