Spyder Garage

Default Back on two wheels

Hey folks,

Had to get back on two wheels again to feel that lean. Purchased a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure bike. Now I have not gotten rid of my Spyder, oh no. In fact she is in the shop getting a new clutch plate and auto tune for my already installed power commander. Planning to take the wife to the owners event up in Durango Colo. at the end of June. Two years ago it was a great time and the million dollar highway in Colo is incredible. I plan to ride my Spyder primarily as a commuter bike back and forth to work every day, go on rides with the wife on the back and teach her how to drive the Spyder. The KTM is for those long country rides will all my BMW friends who drive their GS and RT's.

see you in Durango at the end of June

LamboKTM1.jpg
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blambert View Post
    Hey folks,

Had to get back on two wheels again to feel that lean. Purchased a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure bike. Now I have not gotten rid of my Spyder, oh no. In fact she is in the shop getting a new clutch plate and auto tune for my already installed power commander. Planning to take the wife to the owners event up in Durango Colo. at the end of June. Two years ago it was a great time and the million dollar highway in Colo is incredible. I plan to ride my Spyder primarily as a commuter bike back and forth to work every day, go on rides with the wife on the back and teach her how to drive the Spyder. The KTM is for those long country rides will all my BMW friends who drive their GS and RT's.

see you in Durango at the end of June

LamboKTM1.jpg

Very nice! I've read some great reviews on that bike. The beemers won't be running off and leaving you.

Enjoy!

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a plan

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

on the new ride. Glad your not leaving us. Enjoy both...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Red face Nice

Excellent choice Have its twisty loving little brother 990 SMT.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice ride. How are the ergos, seat, leg positioning and bar reach compared to the RS/GS?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does this help??
    http://cycle-ergo.com/
    KTM 1190.jpg Spyder RS.jpg SWEET lookin' ride!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice looking ride, always liked the adventure type bikes, sucks living in MA.

We have a couple of ATV's for my son and I but we have go to New Hampshire or Maine to ride them anywhere decent.

We have limited off rode use out here, there are ATV track out in Westen Mass, but you can not ride two wheels out there.

Couple of my sons school friends ride their dirt bikes around the access roads in Bellingham but shy of letting my son do it from some of the chase scare stories.

congratulations on a fine ride there sir

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are ATV trails in October Mountain, Pittsfield, and Beartown State Parks...
    You can ride the dirtbikes there too! But the quads are more fun in the deep mud and rocks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

When we ran the entire Blue Ridge Pkwy last year in the Spring, it seemed like the ratio of Sport Adventure bikes was about 65-75%. It was amazing to me how much that segment has grown.

Spyder Garage

Ha Ha! Me Too. I have really missed two wheels so two weeks ago I picked up a 2009 Suzuki DL650-ABS V-Strom. This baby was very well upgraded with nearly $6,000 of touratech goodies. Let the fun begin -- all over again!!
    image-5.jpgimage-6.jpgimage-2.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    My riding group is heavily Beemer and Sport Touring oriented also, and I cant keep up with them on the Spyder. So I, too, am considering getting another 2 wheeler as a second bike.

The problem the Spyder has in twisties is, the driver has to lean into the curve because the Spyder leans the opposite way. Although the Spyder wont tip over, it puts the driver in a position of having the handlebars about 18 inches (or more) offset from his torso. I don't think you can safely control a bike that way... not at the speeds the sport tourers go. I find that Spyders are OK up to about 45 mph in twisties, but the sport tourers are going more like 50 to 70.

I have a Baja Ron swaybar and Ultimate seat with ostrich texture (which helps leg grip). I am not getting understeer or oversteer until about 50 when it starts to plow (understeer), which is to be expected. Moving my 40 pound tool kit to the frunk helped that problem but that's a lot of weight and around town it oversteers.

At freeway speeds, the Spyder is much more relaxing that the sport tourers. I can practically cross my legs and read a magazine at 70 mph, even in crosswind.

And, if we think WE have service issues, its nothing compared to BMW. The KTM was a wise choice, great bike.
    Are you on an RS or RT? This is one of the reasons I'm not into big bar risers on the RS and just the RT in general.
    To run the twisties hard you really need to position your upper body/shoulders well forward along with the lean. Something you can't do with the bars already close to your body and sitting upright.

We run some pretty tight twisties really hard, we'll above 45mph and have no problems keeping up with all but the most aggressive or nutcase sportbike riders. Sport touring bikes should not be pulling you that hard...

Spyder Garage

Default bike

congrats on the new bike and ride safe and far, if i was going to go back to 2 wheels i would love to go with this http://powersports.honda.com/2014/go...-valkyrie.aspx
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Congrats !

I also went back on 2 wheels. Could not keep both rides though, so I traded the Spyder when I bought the new bike.

My kids really liked riding with me on the RT. I assume that eventually, they will talk to me again.

Ride safe.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Are you on an RS or RT? This is one of the reasons I'm not into big bar risers on the RS and just the RT in general.
    To run the twisties hard you really need to position your upper body/shoulders well forward along with the lean. Something you can't do with the bars already close to your body and sitting upright.

We run some pretty tight twisties really hard, we'll above 45mph and have no problems keeping up with all but the most aggressive or nutcase sportbike riders. Sport touring bikes should not be pulling you that hard...

I agree 100% if you know how to lean on a Spyder that is the RS model. They corner very good in my books