Spyder Garage

Default RT rear tire life

Hello fellow Spyder fans! I have had a 2013 Spyder RT Limited since August of last year, and have never posted anything to this web site until now. Prior to buying this machine, however, I did read many of the posts on this site. Because of that, I was prepared for many of this machine's short-comings. Short-comings like poor fuel economy, lack of extensive dealer network, somewhat difficult to work on, etc. I was prepared for those. After numerous test drives, I decided the pluses outweighed the negatives, and made the purchase. Nothing prepared me for the rear tire situation though. Maybe I didn't read enough posts after all?

Here's the thing: My new Spyder has not yet reached the 5,000 mile mark (due at least in part to the terrible winter Michigan had this year). And yet the center portion of the rear tire is already down to the wear bars. It looks as if it has been over-inflated the whole time (it has not been). A few days ago, I asked one of my "local" dealers (2 hour round trip) what they've been seeing for average rear tire life on Spyders. I was told about 7000 miles, and in a manner that implied it was normal, and acceptable. I would never expect a Spyder to get automotive type mileage from a tire, but 5 to 7 thousand miles? What's up with that? The 2009 Harley Ultra Classic I traded in was getting 17,000 miles on a rear tire (with their new dual-compound rubber design). If a Harley rear tire can do that with no adverse handling quirks, why shouldn't a Spyder rear tire be able to do at least that well?

BRP implies that something evil may happen if you do not replace the tire with their special design. I have read on this site that many of you out there have switched to an automotive tire. For those of you who have -- have you noticed any difference in handling, ride comfort, etc.? And, if any of you are privy to BRP engineering information relating to this topic (Lamonster?), can you explain why a Spyder rear tire would need a soft and sticky a rubber compound like a 2-wheeler? Please help me to understand.

I better not end on a sour note though. I do love this machine. It's not only a great ride, but my wife can drive it too. I look forward to hearing from ya'all.

Luchy13

Spyder Garage

Default Got only slightly more when we had our 13'

if you do a search you will have hours of entertainment value viewing tire related posts..... I have never driven a Spyder with a car tire, but many have, and I have seen few complaints after the switch to a car tire. Good luck on your research, but I would think if Can-Am thought a car tire design was best, they would come with car tires.
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i read them post you talk of when i was tour on my 2 wheeler i was doing a set every year but we where doing 10000-12000 a year the spyder tire is much softer then bike tires i have noticed we are going to start touring again and i hope i get more then that i don't want to be installing tires on the road you would think 10000 miles would be a fair distance before you need tires we leave in July for a month wish for the best

Spyder Garage

I have never made a decision on changing a tire on anything I have ever owned, by the "wear" marks. I look at the tire...if it looks like it's going "bald", I change it. If I see that the rubber isn't smooth, I run it. If you are not an aggressive driver, you will probably get 10-13,000 miles out of your tire. If you can, snap a picture and post it for us to see.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default RT rear tire

I traded my 2009 Harley Heritage Softail for my first 2013 RT-Limited. The Harley rear tire should have been changed at 9,000 miles, but I ran it until I traded it at 9,500 miles and it was slick. I have never heard of anyone getting much over 10,000 on a rear tire with a Harley. My Spyder dealer here in Central CFPS stock and install automobile front and rear tires on Spyders as the customer requests. Most Spyder owner are changing to the car tires, but some people get great mileage from the OEM tires. The biggest complaint on the rear tire wear is that it wears in the middle. Many have started using less than the recommended amount of psi in order to help this wear problem. There are lots of threads on this site concerning tires for the Spyder. Also, I have read where there are slots in the tires that are there to help on wet pavement, therefore make sure that you are looking at the real wear marks, not the ones used for improving traction under wet conditions. I traded my 2013 for my 2014 RT-Limited when I only had 4500 miles on it, so I have not had the need to be checking the wear of my rear tire on the Spyders. Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders and also Spyder Lovers. Wishing you many miles of smiles.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Wear marks..!!

just be sure you are checking at the proper point. I have 18,000 on mine and many that ryde with us have similar mileage. Now reading here I do see sad numbers. Though the center line is niw gone on mine I still have a way to go to get to the wear limit. 20140408_173906.jpg see that little triangle mark on the tires edge. Across from that is the wear limit block. If thats where you checked then your right. Once smooth across your at the limit....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had to replace my rear tire on my 2012 RTL at 12,000 miles. It was wore out in the center. My front tires are still going strong at about 18,000 miles. I now run 27psi in the rear and 17psi in the front. I see you are also from Michigan, I live in the Fenton area.

Welcome to the Spyder group

ToM
    Spyderfest 2014

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-S and after just over 3000 miles I'm down to the wear bars in the center of the tread. I don't do "burn outs", but do ride in a spirited manner on Ozark Mountain back roads. I'll need a new rear tire some time between 4000 and 5000 miles.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

What tire pressure do you run in your rear tire? If it is wearing in the center you may be over inflating it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First off, I agree with Dudley, I can tell when a tire is worn out without paying that much attention to the wear indicators. Secondly, it's my opinion that the OEM rear tires on Spyders will always wear out in the center of the tread because the flexible sidewalls on a motorcycle tire design allow the tire to grow at highway speeds no matter what tire pressure you run. Not saying that tire pressures may not make a difference but I don't think there is any magic figure that will stop the tires from wearing out in the center. In fact, I believe that best rear tire wear is probably obtained by running BRP's recommended pressure. Third, I wore out two OEM rears and then installed a Kumho Ecsta. The first OEM got app. 9040 miles, the second a little over 5000 miles although it wasn't completely worn out. The first Kumho got 17,700 miles and I'm still on the second with about 6,000 miles on it. The original Kenda OEM's are still on the front with almost 38,000 miles and counting. Fourth, I can tell very little difference in handling between the OEM rear and the Kumho. I think the OEM has a little more traction but not much more and that may be because I run 32 PSI in the Kumho because it is a car tire and has stiffer sidewalls. Fifth, there are a multitude of things that affect tire wear so it makes it really hard to compare tire mileage from one person to another unless they are riding under very similar conditions. Road surfaces, average temperatures, tire pressures, riding styles, country roads vs. freeways, etc., etc. Even times of day can make a difference as can the length of your rides. Longer rides tend to get tires hotter and that will make them wear more. If you ride 200 miles early in the morning when it's cool, you may get better tire wear than someone who rides in the heat of the day. And, of course, heavy right hands can wear out tires very quickly.

Cotton

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I replaced my 2013 RTS's rear tire at 11k. The center tread was bald.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default We put a lot more than that on Our 2010 RT!

That does not sound right.
    We put 18,000 miles on our 2010 RT, Before replacing it and it was just touching the wear bars.
    Maybe you have to much air in it??

Plus the front ones were barely worn.
    Ride safe, Have a Blessed Day!
    2013 RT-S SM5 Yellow with Garmin 660 gps
    2012 RS-S SM5 Neutron Green, Windshield, Handlebar risers, Wind deflectors, Hindle exhaust
    2014 Nissan Leaf

Spyder Garage

Unhappy We appear to be "on the same page" here

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    I have a 2013 RT-S and after just over 3000 miles I'm down to the wear bars in the center of the tread. I don't do "burn outs", but do ride in a spirited manner on Ozark Mountain back roads. I'll need a new rear tire some time between 4000 and 5000 miles.
    Are you accepting this tire wear as normal?

Spyder Garage

Default Why Kumho?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    First off, I agree with Dudley, I can tell when a tire is worn out without paying that much attention to the wear indicators. Secondly, it's my opinion that the OEM rear tires on Spyders will always wear out in the center of the tread because the flexible sidewalls on a motorcycle tire design allow the tire to grow at highway speeds no matter what tire pressure you run. Not saying that tire pressures may not make a difference but I don't think there is any magic figure that will stop the tires from wearing out in the center. In fact, I believe that best rear tire wear is probably obtained by running BRP's recommended pressure. Third, I wore out two OEM rears and then installed a Kumho Ecsta. The first OEM got app. 9040 miles, the second a little over 5000 miles although it wasn't completely worn out. The first Kumho got 17,700 miles and I'm still on the second with about 6,000 miles on it. The original Kenda OEM's are still on the front with almost 38,000 miles and counting. Fourth, I can tell very little difference in handling between the OEM rear and the Kumho. I think the OEM has a little more traction but not much more and that may be because I run 32 PSI in the Kumho because it is a car tire and has stiffer sidewalls. Fifth, there are a multitude of things that affect tire wear so it makes it really hard to compare tire mileage from one person to another unless they are riding under very similar conditions. Road surfaces, average temperatures, tire pressures, riding styles, country roads vs. freeways, etc., etc. Even times of day can make a difference as can the length of your rides. Longer rides tend to get tires hotter and that will make them wear more. If you ride 200 miles early in the morning when it's cool, you may get better tire wear than someone who rides in the heat of the day. And, of course, heavy right hands can wear out tires very quickly.

Cotton
    Thanks for sharing your story Bikeguy! Just curious -- what factors led you to choose Kumho?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story Bikeguy! Just curious -- what factors led you to choose Kumho?
    Several things. A number of others had reported using Kumhos and having mostly good luck with them. Kumhos were fairly cheap and made a tire that was the same size as the OEM rear tire. But, I have to admit, the biggest reason was that my neighbor is a tire dealer and Kumho was one of the brands that he sells. He hadn't sold one to be used on a Spyder but had sold lots for use on cars and his customers were pleased with them. After I had good luck with the first one, it was easy to make the decision to buy the second one.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I just replaced the front tires on my 2011 RTS at 26,200 miles only because they where showing wear to the inside, the rear tire in my estimation has 5 to 10 thousand miles left on it.

Spyder Garage

Red face Use it up wisely

RT with18,000 on the OEM tire. With and witout trailer...never slow, and lots and lots of twisties. Probably has 2000 miles of dry riding left in it but, have decided to change it out for another OEM before heading North through the mountains of Ca, Or, and Washington later this month.

Cause it could get a little wet along the way.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire soon

My rear tire has 13,800 miles on it and will be replaced next week with an Arachnid to see how it handles and lasts.
    I could probably put another 1000 on it but we have two trips coming up and want to play it safe.
    Most of my riding is two-up and about half the time we are pulling the trailer. Our roads up here are pretty poor
    but we don't usually get the hotter temperatures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

500 miles, or 50,000 miles...
    If that center section of tread is shot; replace the tire!
    These babies WILL hydroplane on you in a heartbeat; given half a chance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Which Kumho tire replaces the factory rear? I'm having a heard time figuring out which to buy for my 2013 RT.

Spyder Garage

Rear Tire: I have consistently got 13K to 15 K on 4 of my 's. I now have purchased a 2014 and everyone is saying that 6000 miles seems to be the rear tire life. I have another 5000 miles to go to determine if that will be my situation.

Front Tires: I have got 20K to 23K on all sets of front tires so far.

A lot of the big and powerful motorcycles see 5K to 7K miles on the rear tires. My Vulcan 2000cc got 5000 miles out of the first rear tire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm having the 4,600 mile service done soon. I was just looking at my rear tire . . . 4250 miles and the center wear bars are even with the tread . . . I run with the recommended air pressure . . . pretty disconcerting to think the rear tire is ready to replace, so soon. Come on, BRP . . . offer a better tire . . . it isn't rocket science.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Which Kumho tire replaces the factory rear? I'm having a heard time figuring out which to buy for my 2013 RT.
    Khumo Ecsta in the same size as OEM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    The Ecsta...

(AST? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default RT rear tire life

Yes, the Khumo Ecsta AST KU25 225/50-R15