Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on Flamingobabe's ST limited

OK... we made it to Spyderfest with the 2014 vented panels on the right side, and the 2013 panels on the left side.
    That, with the ECM re-flash... we had no heat issues on the way to Springfield, Mo. but it was pretty cool going up.

Started having the shuddering/shaking issues again, and had the BRP techs looked at her bike..twice... they didn't have an answer, but said they would have the engineers at BRP look into it.

On the way home, we ran in 95 degree plus temps F. No boiling gas issues... the gas cap was pretty warm, but not hot... didn't bring my laser temp probe... but I could hold the gas cap in my hand after a couple hundred miles!!!!! That is good news!!!

FB said she was getting "extreme " heat by her right foot. I am hoping that the cat bypass we bought and will install will help this..

I am hoping we have turned the corner! the flash seemed to help a lot... the one vented side seems to help a LOT... when we get the other part in for the left side we are hoping for the best!

NOW... hoping BRP can find a fix for the stuttering/shaking issues... In my mind, they are heat related... and it may take a while for them to find all the parts that have been degraded. We will be standing by at the owners' event to see what they have found.

Spyder Garage

Default ST Limited

I have a 2013 ST Limited so read this with interest, My right foot does get warm, but not to the extent that it is uncomfortable. I don't suppose we are running anywhere near the temperatures that you do.
    Are you running the cat by pass into the stock exhaust ?
    I'm not fully up to speed with all the alterations/modifications that you have done, have you removed the stock air filter yet ?
    I did see your thread about the new 2014 panel saga and hope that this goes along way to sorting your heat issues out.

The only thing that I have fitted to mine and that was under manufactures warranty is the front shocks, BRP decided that they needed the FOX shocks fitted here in New Zealand, but didn't go the whole hog and replace the sway bar at the same time, so I may fit the Bajaron sway bar myself, is this an upgrade that you have done ?
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have always said " ya make 100 HP.. Ya make heat" but I am hoping we are done with melting things in the enginebay. I have not yet installed the cat bypass. It was easier to lash it onto the bike than the cat... and it will not be an issue installing it. The cat generates a LOT of heat down by the right foot. hoping to eliminate the source.

We are running Elka's on FB's ST. 15,000 miles and the tires are showing no unusual wear patterns!!! The front tires show maybe 1/2 worn! As of yet, we have not done Baja Ron's swaybar...but we have heard good results!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

you are getting somewhere. Bummer you developed the shuttering and shaking. Hope brp finds the cause. Let us know how the rest works out..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Some of the right foot heat is because of the radiator on that side IMO, I covered the inside of that panel w the "stick on 2000 deg heat shield" and it was much much better.

Spyder Garage

my 2013 upgrades are all done re flash heat tape exhaust wrap, Veritka new air intake panels, air box removal, opened up right side radiator to drive some air through the engine compartment, heat shield on the gas tank, cat by pass, temps outside were only 60 deg F but I shot the gas cap area it was only 65 deg F!. The engine temp was real low 1.5 bars.

I am 100% confident heat issue is solved.

Most noticeable positive farkels added was the Elka Shocks ............wow stable and Rock solid steering outstanding even with the trailer behind.

i also added the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner no vibration at the natural frequency range this device cleaned that right up.

You are on the right track.
    Last edited by Ramjet; 05-06-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mark,
    I'm so glad to hear that definite progress has been made!
    Here's to hoping that the rest of this process, is as successful!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I haven't had a really hot day, yet, but we have some 80+ days coming up, this week and I plan to take a long ride. So far, the ECM update has appeared to reduce a lot of the heat under the Tupperware on my RT, so I am hopeful! Thanks for the update on Charlyne's ride . . . I really hope BRP resolves her problems soon, so she can ride without worry!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)