Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gold Wing 1800 to 2014 RT Spyder

Looking to go from a Gold Wing to the new 2014 Rt Spyder and am looking for some input on traveling long distance. We usually go from Indiana out to the Rockies and do any where from 2500 to 3500 miles. I know there will be some difference but kind of curious on others opinions

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

you should have a smooth transition. You may wonder why you waited so long. I came from a wing to a spyder, though not your models, and have never looked back. Those that have done the switch will certainly let you know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've done both and I think you will be more relaxed at the end of each day. More stable. Just as smooth. More storage. You are gonna have some FUN! Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just give it time to get used to how the spyder handles. Got mine year and half ago and hit 26000 miles. You will love the new ride!!

Spyder Garage

Default Neg. MPG

Like alot ready said you will love the ride. The only negative will be the MPG! I know my buddy gets about 50 MPG on his wing when I'm lucky to 35 MPG from my '13 Spyder. With the MPG and the small gas tank the Spyder has, you will not pass up to many gas stations. However that also get you off the bike for a little bit and keeps you sharp on the bike when taveling long distance.
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Going from a 2 wheel wing to a 3 wheel spyder will be different . The Gold Wing is definitely a touring machine , the 2014 Spyder RT-L may be getting close but still has away to go to match a Wing. This is just my opinion I am sure others will have theirs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Went the other way, from a spyder to an 1800 wing. Wing is smoother with more power but the spyder has some more luggage room. MPG will be much lower on the spyder. As far as comfort, my wing is better for me. Add an aftermarket seat and backrest and it helps. Also, getting used to the brakes all being by foot with no left hand lever took some time. You can add the lever as an aftermarket item.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    Going from a 2 wheel wing to a 3 wheel spyder will be different . The Gold Wing is definitely a touring machine , the 2014 Spyder RT-L may be getting close but still has away to go to match a Wing. This is just my opinion I am sure others will have theirs.

I just finished my first extended trip on my Spyder, 700 miles over 4 days. Steering is the greatest difference. On the 'wing the gyroscopic action of the front wheel coupled with leaning means that very little force is needed to keep the bike in the curve. In fact, there is a "sweet" spot on most every curve where the lean combined with the bank of the road lets the bike make the turn almost entirely on its own, with no force needed on the bars. On the Spyder steering is a full time job, requiring you to push/pull on the handle bar all the way through a curve.

I haven't decided yet on seating comfort. After I got home my lower back was hurting but I don't know if that was from sitting on the Spyder on three days of riding or sitting on conference chairs all day Saturday! I had the same pain one day last fall during a 7000 mile, 29 day, ride on my 1800.

The singlemost positive, for me, in moving to the Spyder is I no longer have any apprehension whatever about having the bike tip over! The relief from worry has reinstated the pleasure of riding.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-05-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added last comment
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a learning curve here; no doubt...
    The 1330 RTs will get you better fuel mieage than previous models; I've hit over 200 miles on my two most recent fill-ups... and never saw the "Low Fuel" warning light!
    The sixth gear will allow for a much lower rpm level out at highway speeds too!
    In short; the new RT is more like a 'Wing than it has been!
    Could it get better? Of course!
    But MOST Touring Bikes don't compare favorably to the GoldWing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post

I just finished my first extended trip on my Spyder, 700 miles over 4 days. Steering is the greatest difference. On the 'wing the gyroscopic action of the front wheel coupled with leaning means that very little force is needed to keep the bike in the curve. In fact, there is a "sweet" spot on most every curve where the lean combined with the bank of the road lets the bike make the turn almost entirely on its own, with no force needed on the bars. On the Spyder steering is a full time job, requiring you to push/pull on the handle bar all the way through a curve.

I haven't decided yet on seating comfort. After I got home my lower back was hurting but I don't know if that was from sitting on the Spyder on three days of riding or sitting on conference chairs all day Saturday! I had the same pain one day last fall during a 7000 mile, 29 day, ride on my 1800.

The singlemost positive, for me, in moving to the Spyder is I no longer have any apprehension whatever about having the bike tip over! The relief from worry has reinstated the pleasure of riding.
    I to have switched from the Goldwing 1100 interstate, to a 13 Spyder RT, I LOVE my Spyder, now the trick is going from the wing to the spyder is that at first you try to over compensate on the steering , but reading this Forum has helped me riding, my wrists were hurting at first, and gripping tight is a No No, you need to relax, and in a curve I have found that I could go 80 on the wing to 70 on the spyder , Yes you have to hold the spyder in the curve but leaning on the seat is the trick , the bike does not lean but you have to once you figure this out , your having Fun, the spyder is a lot safer than any other bike out there in my opinion, I hit a pot hole at 70 mph, and was able to handle the spyder, to a stop, then rode it back home on a flat tire, if I had hit the same pothole on the wing, I may not be writing this right now, the gas milage, the wing has a reserve on it , but I have found that the gas fuel pump comes on after it has used 4 gallons, about 120 miles, the spyder has a 6.6 gallon tank, so that compensates for the reserve on other bikes, I recomend 2 things on your new spyder , 1> get the ULTIMATE SEAT W/ Backrest, 2 . the 139 Decimal air horn, to let people know where you are, 3 ALMOST FORGOT, your in the SPYDER FAMILY NOW, and get ready for attention at the Pumps and every where you go, HAVE FUN and stay Safe, Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

I have owned many two wheelers but never a goldwing. I just finished a 2400 mile trip to and from Spyderfest. The first day we did 900 miles and when I got off I felt great! Did some local riding in Missouri and actually found some nice twisties. The way home I did 2 days as I stopped to visit a friend in TN. So technically I did 2400 miles in a total of 3 days with a couple days of very little riding.

The 400 miles of the return trip from TN to VA was very windy and glad I was on a spyder instead of a 2 wheeler that is for sure!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

There are dozens of us who came from a Wing to a Spyder and most are happy about it.I changed to the 2012 and have ridden all over the country exactly as I did with the Wing and loved it equally.You will have the 14 with the bigger engine.Even better.Go for it.
    ivor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midnightbreeze50 View Post
    and in a curve I have found that I could go 80 on the wing to 70 on the spyder
    Exact opposite for me. I went into a corner one time too fast, got suckered in by the 'object fixation' syndrome, and went off the edge of the pavement into gravel. Between me and my guardian angel we managed to keep the bike upright. Dust everywhere and gravel all over the dash. Have no idea why I went into the curve too fast. After that I never pushed it much above 5 over the posted curve speed, keeping in mind that I want to maintain a margin of safety. On the Spyder I have gone around curves at 20 over, although usually only 10 to 15 over, and felt safe the whole time. Hanging onto the handlebars was a strain though.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This change is what I am considering as well.My wife and I think the spyder has a smother ride on the interstate .On a rough 2 lane state Rt.I give the ride to the goldwing,but the spyder still was good.I think the spyder has some advantages over the wing,but it still hard to give up the wing.

Spyder Garage

Still have a stable of two wheelers in my man cave garage. I went from a gold wing then to a 1500 cruiser and finally a Spyder because the wife said she would ride it with me. She was worried about me dropping a two wheeler again (my foot slipped and the wing fell over, it happens) but she was gun shy after that. She was the main reason I got the spyder and I am the reason we keep it. I love the ride and fun we've had on it. We've had many long trips and look forward to many more. I am a converted (40+ years on two wheelers) spyder rider with 0 regrets.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Wife and I are in Ogallala, NE tonight coming back from Spyderfest. 3000 miles and very comfortable so for on trip. 450 yesterday, over 300 today coming back. Could have been more miles easily if we pushed harder. So you will be very comfortable I think in your travels. I won't go into the high winds in Southern CO. and going over Monarch Pass CO. with snow and winds which the handled with greater ease than the driver on our way out to Springfield 2200 miles out. It was recommended and I highly concur get a BAJARON anti-sway bar!! I think you will really be pleased with Spyder.
    Last edited by Showie; 05-05-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=midnightbreeze50;805230]...at first you try to over compensate on the steering...my wrists were hurting at first...gripping tight is a No No...you need to relax...you have to hold the spyder in the curve but leaning on the seat is the trick...your having Fun...a lot safer than any other bike out there.

I recomend 2 things on your new spyder , 1> get the ULTIMATE SEAT W/ Backrest, 2 . the 139 Decimal air horn, to let people know where you are, 3 ALMOST FORGOT, your in the SPYDER FAMILY NOW, and get ready for attention at the Pumps and every where you go, HAVE FUN and stay Safe, Midnightbreeze[QUOTE]

Midnightbreeze knows how to sum up the experience of riding a Spyder. I've done an eight-day, 2,700 mile trip. The only thing that I would stress is to avoid the death grip. As 'Breeze' said, relax. Be prepared to notice some sore shoulder muscles if you are not used to riding the Spyder. One more "new thing" to add is a one gallon gas container - filled. You'll be comfortable knowing you can handle an out-of-gas experience, plus, you can sell the gallon of gas to your riding buddy for about $25 should he run out. ...Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    She was worried about me dropping a two wheeler again (my foot slipped and the wing fell over, it happens)
    I dropped my 'wing 6 times in 2 years. Twice when I stopped and put my foot down into a pothole, twice within a half hour just as I was leaving a rest area and was suffering from heat exhaustion and didn't realize it, once when my foot slipped on gravel, and once in the garage when I forgot to put the kick stand down! I say there are two kinds of Goldwings, those that have been dropped, and those that will be dropped!