Spyder Garage

Default Antifreeze canister cracked!!!!!!

Was just wondering if anyone has had this issue with the antifreeze canister cracking... The other night when I rode home from work I noticed a puddle on my garage floor. After further investigating I found the canister for the radiator/overflow canister is cracked on the back side facing the air intake. Anyway just wondering if anyone tried to repair it. I have an appointment with my dealer to have it replaced but I will probably have to get the Spyder trailered there since I cannot ride the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

there were many cracked tanks for a while on older models but not so much on the newer ones. They did come out with a newer version that works better. Don't know what year yours is but repairs are mostly temporary...if you repace it make sure it is the revised one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Go to a auto part store they sell repair kits.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Mine cracked last summer - very easy to replace yourself -2 hose clamps w finger tighteners and you almost don't need any tools - maybe dike to cut old hose clamp off - order from dealer or? Cheap part not worth messing with - let me know if ya need some help - I'm close

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by ChasingWind; 05-06-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine went bad on the road!

Mine cracked coming home from Pa. last year in June on I81, the ambient temp. was in the low 90s and we were in a major slow down due to road construction. All of a sudden I saw the temp. on the bike going through the roof so I pulled over to the side and discovered the tank had "tanked" so to speak. Anyhow I had to wait about 3 hours for my son to come down with his trailer and pick us up.

I tried a couple of "wonder" products that were supposed to fix the crack while I waited for the new tank to show up. I found though that these products just would not adhere to the material the tank is made out of.

It really isn't worth trying to fix the tank and like previously posted it is very easy to replace.

PS: This is the only time our Spyder has left us stranded.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Brother
    FB's cracked on her 09 RS. It is a pressurized tank, and will be hard to repair. Replace it... they have a new updated tank that helped to solve the problem. Pretty easy to replace... takes longer to get the panels off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My tank split last year (2011 RS SM with 14K). It was lucky 'cos it finally gave up the ghost at the dealers. It took them about 30 min to replace it and no problems since then. New rear tire this week at 16K.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Brother, yeah no matter what I use the tank continues to leak. I am going to have the dealer come get it since I have an appointment for the next service and they are going to change it out then. I have all the plastic off right now and it doesn't take that long just don't forget where you put them later!!!!! hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Hey Brother
    FB's cracked on her 09 RS. It is a pressurized tank, and will be hard to repair. Replace it... they have a new updated tank that helped to solve the problem. Pretty easy to replace... takes longer to get the panels off.

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RS did the same thing. Was a defect from the factory. New design has reinforced ribs. Was the only issue with my bike. No way to fix only replace which was easy. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS

Had a similar problem on my previous 2008 GS. Cracked at 12,000 miles. Replaced under my extended BRP warranty. No problems on my 2012 RS with 11,000 miles.