Thread: RT Oil change

Spyder Garage

Default RT Oil change

Well, after purchasing filter kits from BajaRon, and watching countless videos, reading numerous threads on this forum about doing my own oil changes, I went for it.

First off, my dealer did install the new quick change panel on my 600 mile oil change. I went ahead and removed the mirror, wind deflector, upper panel & the new quick change panel just so I could see everything I needed to see. I took Lamonster's advise and removed the panel underneath the RT (saved it just in case I ever wanted to reinstall later).

I also drilled a hole in the upright to gain easier access to the right side bolt of the SE5 transmission filter. I took my time (1 1/2 hours) and was able to complete the oil change with NO issues.

I still need to take my ryde to the dealer for BUDS update, but at least I won't have to pay for an oil change!

After the dealer did the 600 mile oil change, I noticed a very small amount of oil on my garage floor. I just thought it was oil that had been left on the fins of the engine, or maybe trapped oil on the lower panels. But after 6 months, it was still dripping. When I did the oil change yesterday, I found the bolts holding the engine oil filter in the housing to be looser than I would have expected. I used the "hand tight plus 1/4 turn" procedure found on SL, and so far NO leaks.

I will continue doing my own oil changes on the RT. Next time should be quicker because I left the panel underneath off! That may help get rid of some heat too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    Well, after purchasing filter kits from BajaRon, and watching countless videos, reading numerous threads on this forum about doing my own oil changes, I went for it.

First off, my dealer did install the new quick change panel on my 600 mile oil change. I went ahead and removed the mirror, wind deflector, upper panel & the new quick change panel just so I could see everything I needed to see. I took Lamonster's advise and removed the panel underneath the RT (saved it just in case I ever wanted to reinstall later).

I also drilled a hole in the upright to gain easier access to the right side bolt of the SE5 transmission filter. I took my time (1 1/2 hours) and was able to complete the oil change with NO issues.

I still need to take my ryde to the dealer for BUDS update, but at least I won't have to pay for an oil change!

After the dealer did the 600 mile oil change, I noticed a very small amount of oil on my garage floor. I just thought it was oil that had been left on the fins of the engine, or maybe trapped oil on the lower panels. But after 6 months, it was still dripping. When I did the oil change yesterday, I found the bolts holding the engine oil filter in the housing to be looser than I would have expected. I used the "hand tight plus 1/4 turn" procedure found on SL, and so far NO leaks.

I will continue doing my own oil changes on the RT. Next time should be quicker because I left the panel underneath off! That may help get rid of some heat too!

I did my own yesterday and it was not as bad as I thought. Saving the money is well worth it. I have to get the update done as well I'm hoping to have it done this week.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is there a video somewhere? Wanting to to this myself too.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    Is there a video somewhere? Wanting to to this myself too.
    If you find a video please let me know.

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

well done. You will be quicker and gain confidence for the next ones. You will also start doing other things yourself....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post

Thank you.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the videos!
    how it different now with the big oil filter?
    saw somewhere where it's easier and faster