Thread: Flat tire ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Flat tire ?

Has anyone had a flat tire at speed? Did it end well?I have had a flat tire on the goldwing,but the low tire indicated came on and I was able to get off the road before it lost all the air.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a rear tire blow and I mean blow out on my HD at speed (60) mph it was a wild ride ride but ended safely That was about 5 yesrs ago

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't panic and just coast down pull over in a safe place.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I picked up a screw in the front tire of my Harley about 3 years ago. It was a tube tire, but I was only going about 55 MPH at the time and the handle bars started shaking, I was able to bring it down slowly and pull off the road. It was very hard to ride with the tire completely flat, but was able to do that to get to a driveway. Waited for the wrecker to come and haul it to a local dealership. Not something I want to go through again. Glad I have three wheels now and they are all tubeless, which is better than a tubed tire.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

I had a right front blow out at 60 MPH and had a 1 sidewall cut from a rock. Spyder went straight down the road and didn't move left or right and I took the only wide spot I could, but I think I could have just taken my hands off the bars and it would have done the same. That is what it is designed to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redlightron View Post
    I had a right front blow out at 60 MPH and had a 1 sidewall cut from a rock. Spyder went straight down the road and didn't move left or right and I took the only wide spot I could, but I think I could have just taken my hands off the bars and it would have done the same. That is what it is designed to do.

I asked this same question about four years ago. I never got a good response. All dealt with two wheels which although valuable, not really relevent to the question asked. Thank you for providing this info.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I had a rear tire go at about 50. It went down slow enough I could feel it. Had to go about 3/10 mile to a driveway. It wasn't easy. Back end was really squirrley.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Never..!!

but know those that have. All ended well but drivers a bit shaken. All the safety features kicked in and brought them to a safe stop. Continuing on the flat not a good idea unless absolutely necessary...you have the DPS, VSS and ABS to help you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE BLOW-OUT ?????

I think this is just another reason to switch to CAR tires ........they usually have 4 plys and can support 3 to 4 times the weight than the KENDA'S ......at the DRAG RACES AT Spyderfest I was running 14.5 lbs on the rear tire ( PS I won a lot )........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-10-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Had the rear tire pick up a nail while riding. It was raining so that is why I thought the weird feeling in the rear end was due to. Pulled under a bank canopy to check things out Late Saturday night so nothing open. I was about 20 miles from home and it must have been a slow leak. Used the inflator and went about 10 miles, stopped and added more air and made it home. Last few miles did not go above 30mph but spyder did well. Of course tire was now distroyed so a new one was ordered, this was on OEM with 9000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you're going to a car tire, why not a "run flat" on the rear. I think the sidewalls would be too stiff for the front, but I know the "wing" guys run them on the backs of wings.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    If you're going to a car tire, why not a "run flat" on the rear. I think the sidewalls would be too stiff for the front, but I know the "wing" guys run them on the backs of wings.
    Not a bad idea. However, I don't think I have ever seen one in the sizes we run.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do run-flats have a different type of bead? Do they need a different type of wheel?
    (NO experience with them... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do run-flats have a different type of bead? Do they need a different type of wheel?
    (NO experience with them... )
    No and no.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk