Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oops ! I locked my key in the "Frunk" the other day and.....

Well, silly me...Took my bike to work, had my riding jacket on, so I like to put it in the "Frunk" (Trunk) before I go into my work. I got off my 2008 Spyder SE5, opened the trunk, took the key out of the ignition, and put it in my jacket pocket, and then put the jacket in the "Frunk" (Front storage compartment)and closed it............I had my gloves on and had put them on the gas tank - so I said , ooops, let me put those in the trunk too....and as soon as I reached in my pants pocket for my key, I realized what I did. DUH ! Locked my only key in the trunk. (Can't seem to find my spare!) I called the local Can Am Dealer and he didnt have an answer. I looked on Sypder Lovers of course and only found the "Take the side plastic off like you do when you change the oil, and reach up and pull on the cable that goes to the trunk"...Well, I tried that and couldn't make it work. The Can Am Dealer called me back a little later and said he researched it and told me to look just behind the ignition and I will see a thin pencil thickness cable coming out of the ignigtion- he told me just to pull on it a few times and the trunk would open ( he had an '08 in his shop and he tried it and it worked ) He found that in one of his dealer forums....so , sure enough, after only a few tries, I got it to work ! Pop, goes the Frunk! YAY ! Thank You to that nice Service Guy in Sanford Maine who helped save the day. So, if you ever do this , now you know how to get your key out ! Have a wonderful day. And...happy RYDING! PEace Out from NH.

Spyder Garage

good advice. thanks for the tip!! i'm getting to the age that this just might come in handy!!

Spyder Garage

I wonder if that works on other bikes.

Hope that thieves don't figure this out. Lol

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A simpler thing to do is get a spare key that does not have the chip in it and put it some place you can get to with out to much trouble. This way you can open the trunk but not start the bike.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Following some advise on this site last year I ran a wire from the frunk latch down to behind the panel you take off to check the oil. Tied it off to the frame and now have a hidden frunk release. Peace of mind!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I would suggest you either find your second key or get one (or two) made. Then some idea above. However if you actually lose yur only key, you are looking a huge $1,000 or more repair bill. Add on keys are not cheap to buy, but in comparision ??? Several other thread on here about key ideas.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Good advice..!!

clone your key so you have a spare. I always carry two keys but as mentiones above hide a key on the roadster chipped or not. There is also some threads on how to add a secondary pull up under the left side...glad your day was saved...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've started keeping a lanyard around my neck with the BRP key sleeve (is that the term) on it. When I take the key out, I put it in the sleeve. Once I got used to doing it that way, I worry a lot less about locking the key in the frunk!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I always carry a second key--just in case. I locked the keys in the VW Bus back in 1969 or so. Learned my lesson good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    A simpler thing to do is get a spare key that does not have the chip in it and put it some place you can get to with out to much trouble. This way you can open the trunk but not start the bike.
    Getting one cut this week!

For the Record... The proper Blank to use is an Ilco X-270.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Life just saved!! This post needs to be pinned for ever! No where can I order me a spare blank?

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob!
    Does this Ilco X-270 blank work for your 2018 RTL?
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to a video I recently made for emergency seat and frunk release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

If one gets an Ilco X270 blank has it cut to match the Spyder key and bevels it as shown in the picture it will do everything one needs but allow one to start the bike.
    Ilco X270.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I ran the catch bolts in so they dont latch....Did the trunk and the seat. No more chances of them bein a problem.

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is my normal "routine" how I am opening my frunk during the winter times, while working in garage. I am bit dummy so many times i dont have a key with me in garage that is like 5min of walking from home It wont work when you have the handle bars in locked position. at least is not working for me on F3s.

Spyder Garage

I had a key made for the Spyder and one for the Truck. Cut down the the key "handle" and used an old ID card and packing tape. Put it in your wallet so they are always with you.
    Also the real spare key for the Spyder is velcroed to the frame under the seat. And yes, I've had to use them 1000 miles from home.S0012164.jpg

Spyder Garage

JFD, I do the same thing, key on a card.
    In addition I have made a habit of always, on dismount, attaching the main key to a chain attached to my belt using metal clips and a carabiner. Very quick and easy and I always know where the key is. Since my Spyder is new to me, I am thinking of having the DESS disabled at first opportunity.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (pre-owned, new for me Feb'20. 1st Spyder, decades on 2 wheeler's.)