Spyder Garage

Default CB Radio Issues 2014 RT?

We do a lot of long distance group riding and find the CB radio invaluable for one changing, road hazards, merging traffic etc. But that's just us.

we will be buying a 2014 RT Ltd very soon.

Our questions are:
    Any know issues with the CB on a 2014 RT?
    WILL MY CB from a 2012 fit in and work in a 2014?

thanks

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

There was a post here very recently that BRP has issued a stop sale order on 2013-14 CB radios. Do a search on CB radio and you should be able to find it. I don't know if a 2012 radio will fit a '14.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Your 2012 will work on the 14, I just did the same install. They sell two kits to make it work but actually you could get buy with the just the mike interface cable, they did away with the cable extension that was built into the left hand harness so the new cable is longer and sexed opposite. The other kit just mounts the CB vertically instead of sideways and as a result it requires 2 new cable extensions. Those parts are expensive and purely for convince of mounting as my 2012 set up worked great once I bought the JR antenna.

Spyder Garage
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Default Parts for install?

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Your 2012 will work on the 14, I just did the same install. They sell two kits to make it work but actually you could get buy with the just the mike interface cable, they did away with the cable extension that was built into the left hand harness so the new cable is longer and sexed opposite. The other kit just mounts the CB vertically instead of sideways and as a result it requires 2 new cable extensions. Those parts are expensive and purely for convince of mounting as my 2012 set up worked great once I bought the JR antenna.
    Wow thanks for the reply and good news.
    did the parts come from BRP OR third party? Where did you get them?

have you tested it on the road? If so, any issues?

Thanks for for the response.

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

The dealer sells the parts and yes, I have tried it on the road and it works great, I was talking to a guy about 10 miles away, he was weak but still great for the Canam.

Spyder Garage

Default 10 miles!!!!

The dealer sells the parts and yes, I have tried it on the road and it works great, I was talking to a guy about 10 miles away, he was weak but still great for the Canam.
    Wow, if I get 2 miles it would be amazing. Did you do the extra grounding, counter poise and JM antena?

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you thank you thank you

I had no idea how important the CB radio is to my wife and how uninformed the people at my dealership are.

They had had no idea there was a stop sale order on 2013- 2014 CB Radios. They Swore you could not put a 2012 in a 2014 unless you spliced wires etc etc. They insisted and my wife was pissed and almost cancelled the deal.

i showed them the stop sale letter from the web site and the above information about installing the 2012. The parts manager said he spoke to BRP and they told him it could not be done and that there were no cable kits.

By the way this is not the first time that I have gone to them and because of this forum, I have had more information about their product than they had.

Finally they came up with the kit part numbers to do the installation, the wife settled down and the bike comes home on Friday

thank you thank you thank you for the information that enabled me to stand my ground

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2012 CB will fit a 2014 you need to use the 2012 entertainment harness. I rode with Stantheman last Sunday , his dealer installed his 2012 CB into his 2014 spyder . You need to use the 2012 entertainment harness.

I have read here that the 2014 CB will put the 2014 spyder into limp mode when the PTT is used.

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 with a '14 CB and so far mine has worked ok. However, I did additional grounding, J&M antenna, and RF choke installation. Maybe that is helping.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 05-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT CB installation

I just bought and installed the BRP cb in my 13 RT Limited. Beginning to think that I made a mistake. It took about 8 hours to install it. Started it up and nothing!!!! Checked and rechecked connections, read and reread instructions, etc. Finally gave up and put all the panels back on. There is absolutely no indication of CB operation at all. I will try again later, hopefully after someone sheds some light on this.

Spyder Garage

I did add additional grounding while I was in there but it works no better than it did on my 2012 and I had the new mike squeal to deal with. Not sure if the grounding did it or not but I got rid of it with the choke. I am using this antenna http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=46 which is 10 times better than stock. I was lucky to get a signal further than a foot ball field before I installed this on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    We do a lot of long distance group riding and find the CB radio invaluable for one changing, road hazards, merging traffic etc. But that's just us.

we will be buying a 2014 RT Ltd very soon.

Our questions are:
    Any know issues with the CB on a 2014 RT?
    WILL MY CB from a 2012 fit in and work in a 2014?

thanks

mike s
    Hey Mike,

I had a CB installed in our new 2014 RT Limited, used it a number of times, all is well so far.....I think. I do know the CB Radio is on backorder from Can-Am with no ETA as of this morning.

I am having issues either with the front entertainment harness/connector where we plug in the helmet cable connector into the dash board or the CB radio per our dealer. We have very intermittent intercom and I only have audio from my left helmet speaker, the passenger connector works fine with the same helmet/cables.

Kevin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CB Issues

Quote Originally Posted by RUOUTHERE View Post
    Hey Mike,

I had a CB installed in our new 2014 RT Limited, used it a number of times, all is well so far.....I think. I do know the CB Radio is on backorder from Can-Am with no ETA as of this morning.

I am having issues either with the front entertainment harness/connector where we plug in the helmet cable connector into the dash board or the CB radio per our dealer. We have very intermittent intercom and I only have audio from my left helmet speaker, the passenger connector works fine with the same helmet/cables.

Kevin
    One caviat. On our 2012 RT Limited we found out the hard way not to use the audio inputs from the Garmin GPS it came equipped with. The BRAINIACS in design decided to give all nav audio priority over all other sources of audio including the cb. In other words, if you're listening to the built-in mp3 player on the ZUMO 600 you might as well turn the CB off because the only time you can hear the cb is in between mp3 files. Fortunately, the other audio inputs do not over-ride the cb so we hooked up an IPOD in the trunk and my wife is happy again.