Spyder Garage

Default Oil warning light comes on

I have 2009 RS spyder and today while going 55 mph the oil light came on and the spyder running erratic. After shutting off the engine I checked the oil and water and everything was fine. Started it back up and took off went 5 miles oil light came on again. All though the bike seem to run fine, but I did not take any chances and trailer the bike home. The first time I shut it off, there was some minor fluid leaking looked like oil and water mixed together. I tried to run a self test by pushing and holding the mode button with the light switch but no codes where displayed. My dealer is 100 miles from me, so I am trying not to take it in. I am thinking its the oil sensor, does anyone know a way to check or replace the sensor. The bike has 9,000 miles, so I would find it hard to believe that the oil pump would go bad. Plus there is no water in the oil and the exhaust burns clean. Any advice would be quite helpful.

One last note the oil was changed at 8000 miles with AMSOIL 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

Thanks

Henry Knipschild
    Warner Robins Ga.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this helps...

Located on right hand side of vehicle on clutch housing...

Spyder Garage

Sensor looks pretty cheap to try... http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...eria=420256912

Please don't go by my part number, I guessed at 2009 GS manual trans....couldn't find a 2009 RS.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

if you have coolant and oil mix dripping that would be at the water pump. The seals may be failing. Oil light refers to oil pressure. Could be the sending unit oil pump or oil level. If you have no way of checking the oil pressure you have to get it to the dealer. If it is serious it will go orange and limp mode or totally shut down...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Sensor looks pretty cheap to try... http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...eria=420256912

Please don't go by my part number, I guessed at 2009 GS manual trans....couldn't find a 2009 RS.
    GS/RS are 1 in the same. GS- (Grand Sport)was 1st then BRP change it RS(Roadster Sport) later

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    GS/RS are 1 in the same. GS- (Grand Sport)was 1st then BRP change it RS(Roadster Sport) later

Thanks, always wondered about that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    That's no BS...

Spyder Garage

So it's not a BS, it's a GS or a RS

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue on 2009 spyder. when the oil light came on although the bike did not run erratic, I did end up replacing the sensor and it fixed the problem. If you take it to a dealer have a deep pockei at least 200.00. I would check Amazon or Ebay for new sensor if I remember correctly it was under $30.00 and was fairly easy to replace. To make sure google or use you tube,or download a maintenance manual. One of these should tell you how to troubleshoot the oil sensor. The leak could be from the sensor leaking from where it screws into the engine.. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

4/29/2014

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red