Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RSS accessory tap

Before I get hit with "You need to look at previous posts" I have looked at more than I can count and still have problems. I have a 2014 RSS as mentioned in the Title and I am trying to install accessory wire to power up my Fuze F1 Block. I have removed the front left tire (side where horn is located) and found a rubber plug that had two wires in it. Looking at this connection it looks like the size for a 12V Cigarette Lighter but this does't supply any power. I have attempted to tap into the fuses and this still operates incorrectly. It would appear that the ECM takes over the operation of these fuses. I have a voltmeter and can clearly see that power doesn't come on until I turn the key on the selected fuse. Once I actually use the tap the operation becomes completely opposite. The source comes on without key on and turns off when key is on. I don't know if it is possible but as I mentioned I feel the ECM is messing with things. Other threads have mentioned to locate a wire to tap into and for the life of me I cannot locate this either. I removed the sheath from the "main harness" that sits above the strut tower and there are a lot of wires in it. I have attempted to stick my probe in some wiring and still have not found a source. I had purchased a double play light harness and it suggests to tap into the rear license plate light, but I thought it wasn't necessary to run a wire to the rear of the bike to find an accessory source. I will provide pictures of what I am looking at if that would help. I hope my rambling makes sense I am a bit frustrated and just want to ride my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

Not sure what your looking for. The boot with two wires is in fact for a power outlet (cigarette lighter) with power after ignition. Don't remember the numbers but if that is fuse 6 then 7 is constant power. If you only need power without fuse you can find any power line with a tester. If you need power threw a fuse you can go to the fues box or an inline fuse and go direct to the battery...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I installed a fuse block on my RSS and used the accessory wire that was up by the left shock. You will need to put a fuse in position 6 or 7. I will verify which one for you when I go out to the garage.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

On the 2012 RSS, F3 is switched and F6 is unswitched.

i ran power cord directly to the battery and put a 3amp fuse in the F3 position for my switched power. not sure how the 2014 is set up, guessing the same as the 2012, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default After Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Not sure what your looking for. The boot with two wires is in fact for a power outlet (cigarette lighter) with power after ignition. Don't remember the numbers but if that is fuse 6 then 7 is constant power. If you only need power without fuse you can find any power line with a tester. If you need power threw a fuse you can go to the fues box or an inline fuse and go direct to the battery...
    Thanks for the reply: I am trying to power up the after key power to my fuze box. I have ran the constant already with an inline fuse without any issues. The problem I have is that the only fuses I have terminated in the factory fuse panels are the only ones I have. With this being said I did not opt to get the power outlet feature added in so that is why it is I am suspecting I don't have the pins on the fuse to plug a fuse there? I have placed my voltmeter on the cord that has the plastic cover over it in the boot and there isn't any power coming from it.
    I tried to tap into a fuse that appeared to only be hot when the key was activated but this didn't work either. I am using a mini bus fuse tap from an auto store and have made sure I am placing it in the right direction. Do you know if the ECM actually controls the fuses and their operations?

F6 and F7 both do not have metal prongs/pins to accept fuses.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking at the fuse panels again (pics)

I do not have the metal prongs to take a fuse for position 3. Why was this not included on my bike? How do I find an accessory wire that I can use? This is so frustrating and I appreciate everyone's help.

LHFuse.jpg spyder.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Some of the advice you are getting does not apply. 2012 and older are not the same. 2013 and 2014 RS are not the same as ST, RT

What you found is the 12V outlet plug wires (2 wires in a rubber boot with female spade connectors). This is switched and is controlled by the load shedding relay. That means it will only go live with the engine running. The fuse is a 20 amp in the right fuse box in position F5

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I was wanting to run a key switch source for underground lights, etc. where do I need to get the power source from then? When I turn on the key before it is running the side marker lights come on the fenders. Where do I find this source to power up my turn key relay harness?

Spyder Garage

The circuit you are talking is switched directly through the key and is an orange wire all the way to the fender tips and the tail light. My preference would be to use this as trigger voltage for a relay and get your power from the jumpstart posts under the left access cover. Make sure you add an inline fuse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here are some more pics that show the covers and a diagram of the ignition system. I am trying to grasp this thing so I wanted to include all the information that I have found if it helps anyone. I think the best idea is the relay option so far, but I didn't know if this info would provide another idea.

Last edited by papacubanlover; 04-29-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add additional pic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The circuit you are talking is switched directly through the key and is an orange wire all the way to the fender tips and the tail light. My preference would be to use this as trigger voltage for a relay and get your power from the jumpstart posts under the left access cover. Make sure you add an inline fuse.

You could use the Cig lighter connection to power the relay and the power from the battery is what the relay will use for the fuse block.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cig Lighter Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    You could use the Cig lighter connection to power the relay and the power from the battery is what the relay will use for the fuse block.
    I think my problem with this is that this isn't fused on mine so there isn't really a connection for it. I have used a voltmeter on it and can not get a signal from it with key on or started mode.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papacubanlover View Post
    I think my problem with this is that this isn't fused on mine so there isn't really a connection for it. I have used a voltmeter on it and can not get a signal from it with key on or started mode.
    Call your dealer they will explain it to you.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    On the RS it is controlled by the cluster, using a load shedding relay so it powers up after the engine starts not with the key and that is not what the OP says he wants.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It better be fused or the horn won't work or the fog lights if you have them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On the RS it is controlled by the cluster, using a load shedding relay so it powers up after the engine starts not with the key and that is not what the OP says he wants.
    Does the OP even know what he wants? It is the obvious solution. Wanting something and getting it are 2 different things. The easiest way is with a relay controlled by the cig lighter or you can start trying things that the nanny will not agree with.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Not sure about this thread ,

But looking if you want to run off the factory harness you have power when the bike is running only , won't come on with just a key on. If you pin tap another circuit you run the risk of pullin to much voltage and getting one of the computor angry and not working correctly. If your looking for a constant voltage outlet like billy bovine stated you can run a fused outlet off the battery pins on the left side under the pull cover under the frunk lid.

I did this and feeds a powers fused USB plug to charge my phone up on the handle bars . As long as nothing is plugged in there is no battery drain . Those power and ground pins can be tapped to run what ever you need but they pull battery voltage all the time and anything wired in and left on will put a drain on your battery

Spyder Garage

Default Did you get an answer?

Here are some more pics that show the covers and a diagram of the ignition system. I am trying to grasp this thing so I wanted to include all the information that I have found if it helps anyone. I think the best idea is the relay option so far, but I didn't know if this info would provide another idea.

Good evening:
    Just read your years old posting. I've just purchased a 2014 RS-S and am trying to accomplish the same mod. I might try running a trigger out to the running lights on the fenders, but otherwise, haven't found a way yet.
    Take care and thanks for any insight.
    Kris
    2014 RS-S , Yellow