Spyder Garage

Default Fixed my CB and Cell Phone Interface

Well, I bought a replacement cell phone interface cable from Life Styles Honda yesterday and went to install it when I took a second look at the Garmin 660 audio settings and discovered while it was set for 100% it also had the mute checked! Duh... not sure how I missed that before but I think I was wearing my other glasses which don't have readers built in. In any case that fixed the cell phone but not the CB which still had a howl/tone when ever I keyed the talk button.

The howl got worse when I leaned back and would go really away completely when I tilted my head forwards so it was noise being picked up in the mike. I added some snap on magnets to the cord just above the coil and voila!.. no more howl/tone. Good to go now. I may need to get some more magnets for the passengers head but it is all working fine now and I can return my unopened cable to the dealership.

Just a plug for lifestyles Honda, they really look after you there, no dealer is perfect but they are one of the good ones and go out of there way to give good service. I believe they are planning another BBQ or ride for May so keep you eyes peeled.

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

is always good to hear. Nice to find the problem and get them fixed without major work or having to backtrack to the begining.. Congrats and ryde on..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Well, I bought a replacement cell phone interface cable from Life Styles Honda yesterday and went to install it when I took a second look at the Garmin 660 audio settings and discovered while it was set for 100% it also had the mute checked! Duh... not sure how I missed that before but I think I was wearing my other glasses which don't have readers built in. In any case that fixed the cell phone but not the CB which still had a howl/tone when ever I keyed the talk button.

The howl got worse when I leaned back and would go really away completely when I tilted my head forwards so it was noise being picked up in the mike. I added some snap on magnets to the cord just above the coil and voila!.. no more howl/tone. Good to go now. I may need to get some more magnets for the passengers head but it is all working fine now and I can return my unopened cable to the dealership.

Just a plug for lifestyles Honda, they really look after you there, no dealer is perfect but they are one of the good ones and go out of there way to give good service. I believe they are planning another BBQ or ride for May so keep you eyes peeled.
    You get these magnets from where?

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

"Snap choke" magnets from Radio Shack, $3 ea.

I knew that about the volume settings and mute button, but never thought about checking it. Sorry

Randy, where exactly did you place the magnets?
    Last edited by stevedfive; 04-27-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Hi Steve,
    I installed the Radio Shack magnet on the cord that runs from my helmet to the bike, just above the coil. I have a J&M built in mike so I added the second one just above the upper connection at the J&M to Can-am adapter cord since two came in a package. I tried lower but it only help a small amount but it was like magic when I moved the first magnet above the coil.

I love it when a plan comes together, lol.

Spyder Garage

If placing the ferrite choke on the helmet cord is inconvenient, you can accomplish the same by placing one on the entertainment harness wire just as it goes under the center console.

The gray wire is the communications wire to the center console and this view is with the left panel removed at approximately your knee height.

Audio Choke.jpg

I had ignition static and put several chokes on the entertainment harness at (1) the radios; (2) the passenger communications jack; and (3) the front communications jack as shown above. End of static !

The tupperware panels will need to be removed to reach any of those locations.

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

My noise was not ignition but more like when you move a mike too close to speaker, a high tone. I moved the choke all the way from the CB harness, on the cord where you put yours and on the cord where it came out of the dash. I thought it was not going to work at all at first but then I disconnected the adapter and ran the headset directly to the outlet and it cut the noise in half. So I kept moving the magnet up the coil and as soon as it to the top it immediately went away all together even with the 90 degree adapter back in place. Not sure what was going on but I am now, I was up till then, lol. Now I can call my self the "The Smartest Man Alive Again" again, lol.