Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I need some advice from Spyder owners....

My wife is considering moving from her Harley Davidson Heritage Softail to a Spyder Rt. She has had some knee problems & is looking for the stability of 3 wheels. Our riding will be mostly day trips with the possibility of a couple week long trips a year. She will also be riding solo 90% of the time. Should we consider a 2013 since the company seems to be very aggressive price wise or is the extra cash worth it for a 2014? Also what advice can anyone give her to help her get used to riding the Spyder vs. a 2 wheeled bike? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

2012 or 2014.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default 14

A RT 2014 is a much better machine than a 2012. MUCH Better! Even a RT LTD is no comparison to a 14 RT. JMHO, Joe
    Transition is easy, and once she stops trying to lean into curves, it is a fantastic machine. That she can continue to ride is huge! HUGE!!! In a couple of hours, she will be just fine. Add an ISCI hand brake, and it will be seamless.
    Last edited by cptjam; 04-26-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

2014 much better
    2012 better
    2013 not
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

The 2014 is the best machine to have because the new motor and transmission but i have an RT Limited 2013 with 26 000km and dont have ANY problem with it... Never...

Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

You need to go with your better judgement. If money is no object go with the latest 2014. Most will tell you to even though it is all new for this year. Bigger engine three cylinder with six speed opposed to a V twin high rpm five speed. Your wife may handle the lower rpm's of the tripple better coming off a harley. If your looking for the best deal then any of the other models will suit her needs. You may see most steer away from the 2013's because of some heat issues on the earlier ones.
    As for learning, a test ryde will lure her and 300 miles down the road she will be all smiles. The more she rydes the better she gets the more she will love it. Getting used to not having a front brake lever, not having to put your feet down is easy getting used to running at higher rpms takes some time.
    Hope to see her on the road smiling...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife loves her 2012. If the budget allows go with a 2014, but there are plenty of 2012s out there for sale. The higher rpms were hard for me at first but I'm used to it now. Whatever your decision she will love it.

Welcome!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jjyoung View Post
    My wife is considering moving from her Harley Davidson Heritage Softail to a Spyder Rt. She has had some knee problems & is looking for the stability of 3 wheels. Our riding will be mostly day trips with the possibility of a couple week long trips a year. She will also be riding solo 90% of the time. Should we consider a 2013 since the company seems to be very aggressive price wise or is the extra cash worth it for a 2014? Also what advice can anyone give her to help her get used to riding the Spyder vs. a 2 wheeled bike? Thanks in advance.
    Are you near Iowa City?
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I won't comment on 2012 vs 2013 vs 2014 because all I have ever owned is the 2014. When I first went to the dealers, he too offered me a good price on the 2013, but I have a friend who is very knowledgeable about CanAm's (he's on their development team) and he recommended that, if I could afford it, I go directly to the 1330 and the SE6. He thought they were that much better if nothing else for the increased range, especially if you are going to do any touring.
    So as you can see, I went ahead and bought a 2014 Limited and I have been very pleased with it's performance. A couple of days and I made the transition from 2 wheels to 3 and now it seems natural even though I've only had it a week and a little over 600 miles. Hope this helps in your decision.
    Last edited by sddinnh; 04-27-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does your Wife have any experience riding ATVs or snowmobiles? They most closely approximate the feeling of a Spyder at speed.
    I had a 2010 RT, and am now on a 2014... There's very little comparisons between the two, where the 2010 can hold it's own.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would recommend the '14. I have a '11 RTS and am in the process of trading for a new '14 because of the new engine and other improvements they've made. Coming from a HD, I'd think the high-rev 998 engine would take some getting used to. If you just want to get a "starter" Spyder to see how you like it and then get a better one later, go ahead with the used. But if finances allow, I'd go for the '14. JMHO.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

2012 New Leftover= Best Deal!!!!
    2013 The Heat Problem Lottery= I would Not Bite!!!!!!!!!
    2014 Not worth the extra $$$ Unless you get a Great deal in the Fall with rebates if they need to sell of inventory?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default SHES ME

I came off an HD Softail Deluxe to a 2011 RTS SE5. It is an easy transition but she will need seat time to get used to turning and twisties at speed limits. For me at least a couple hundred miles. I got the auto transmission because of arthritis in my thumb joints and I wouldn't go back to clutch for anything because it's so easy. The first thing she'll experience is the carefree, worry free riding. She will want to go anywhere, anytime, any weather. And even though it's a different type of feeling in the curves, my husband says I go faster thru the curves than I did on my HD. He also says I leave him in the dust after stopping, he on his HD Roadglide. I almost traded mine on a newer one this year. I would have gone with a 2014 even though 2013 cheaper. The 2014 has so many improvements from previous years, including better gas mileage. I decided to keep mine because of low mileage. Last thing, we took a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and Glacier Park and the storage on these is amazing and the comfort is awesome. Hope this helps, sorry got a little winded

Spyder Garage

My wife Louise just made the same transistion. 13 vs 14 is a personal decision. The 14 does have some new features but it is 10,000 more. Big chunk of change to consider. We went with the 13. Its pretty easy to tell if the one you are considering has over heating problems in 30 minutes or so before you buy. We knew going in that her 13 would need a few upgrades to be more comfortable but all in, we still saved over $8000. Besides, the 14s are not available in any color we like so would have had to add $2500 for paint work on the 14. Overall we are very happy with our pair of 13s consider the pricing paid. If the money were even, I might would prefer the 14 but its not even close on the funds.

Its a decision you have to make. But do buy one of them and ride together. We have sure enjoyed it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    .... Coming from a HD, I'd think the high-rev 998 engine would take some getting used to. If you just want to get a "starter" Spyder to see how you like it and then get a better one later, go ahead with the used. But if finances allow, I'd go for the '14. JMHO.

This is an EXCELLENT point.
    The RPM curve on the 14 would better suit a former MoCo twin rider.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Blasphemy perhaps. But if you are going to be riding solo most of the time, why not an ST? Less money and if the V twin engine is alright with you, it is mostly the same machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Women ALWAYS need to have the most-possible carrying capacity...
    ...for when a ride, turns into a shopping trip!

Spyder Garage

JJ,

I would say, if you guys were touring coast to coast all summer, definitely go with the longer range, newest tech of the 2014. But for funnin' around on weekends and short trips, you have to ask yourself if it is really worth the LARGE extra bucks. I have a 2013 RT and have NOT had the heat related problems. It's fun to ride and she will enjoy it! Irritates me to no end that we have the "experts" here that have NOT owned a 2013 telling folks to AVOID them.

I rode H/D for 25 yrs before switching to the Spyder. Don't plan to go back and I hope BRP keeps improving the Spyder. 3 wheels gives stability and comfort! The learning curve is minimal! Test drive both and then decide! Best o' luck and enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    A RT 2014 is a much better machine than a 2012. MUCH Better! Even a RT LTD is no comparison to a 14 RT. JMHO, Joe
    Transition is easy, and once she stops trying to lean into curves, it is a fantastic machine. That she can continue to ride is huge! HUGE!!! In a couple of hours, she will be just fine. Add an ISCI hand brake, and it will be seamless.
    I have owned a 2012 RT Limited and it was a very good machine. It was very dependable and had no major issues with it. We rode it about 7600 miles in 2013. We would still have it.....however, with the great improvements in the 2014 RT, we decided to trade it on a new 2014 RT Limited.

It is a lot more dollars to buy new than a used one. However, the 2014 RT is an AWESOME machine which is much smoother, less maintenance, better MPG, etc. We paid a "hefty" price to upgrade, but it's worth it and not looking back.

You are doing the right thing to get your facts before making a decision to purchase! Best wishes to you and good luck with you decision as you go forward!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti brought up a VERY good point; the powerband of the 1330 is much more similar to the Big Twin that she's already used to...
    The 998s love to rev, and not everybody can get used to that idea easily...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Tuff call

It is a tough call you all are faced with!

Here is some of handed information:

1. The start up drill is considerably different between her HD and the Spyder that will take some getting used to. But it is an easy ahbit to get into it just requires some thought.

2. No clutch or brake handles. I still after 3 years find myself reaching for one or both at times.

3. Steady throttle while shifting not rolling off then back on.. This is another habit that has flashbacks at times.

4. Unlearning counter-steering.

5. Learning to body lean into curves and how to use your knees for turn bracing to avoid pitching yourself off. Very embarrassing I would think.

6. Learning how to back up with a real reverse gear.

7. If you go the Rotax 998 V-twin she will have to learn to let it rev up as it is not a happy camper much below 3,800 RPM's around town you don't even think 5th gear unless you can cruise at 50 to 60 MPH.

Spyder Garage

Hard decisions to make--but great you are now in that position.

RT model IMO, is the way to go. Touring comfort and ameneties, LOTS of storage room.

What year? The 2012 is a sure thing if you can still find one. The 2013 offers deep discounts and extended warranty. You may or may not have issues. The 2014 offers the new 1330 engine, the 6-speed gearbox, and will be most like what you are used to.

I am suggesting to try a 2013 and a 2014 and see which one appeals to you the most. I currently have a 2010 and 2011--but the 2010 is being traded off for a new 2014. It should arrive this week.

Let us know what you decide. Shopping for a new RT is fun.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just traded my 2012 RT SE5 in for a 2014 RTS SE6. They are two different machines. I really like all the changes that have been made to the 2014, but the 2012 RT is a solid machine. If you are close to Des Moines, I highly recommend Hicklin Powersports in Grimes. That is where I purchased my 2014. They are fantastic to work, they make you feel like family. Call Joe Weissenburger cell 515 238-2565.
    Last edited by cohoff; 04-27-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Blasphemy perhaps. But if you are going to be riding solo most of the time, why not an ST? Less money and if the V twin engine is alright with you, it is mostly the same machine.

Not at all. We both tried an ST and just liked the riding position and lower wind buffeting for long range touring on the RT. We just seemd to like the touring model better.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Women ALWAYS need to have the most-possible carrying capacity...
    ...for when a ride, turns into a shopping trip!
    Ain't THAT the truth, Bob!
    But then, how much stuff did you buy a Spyderfest last year when your wife wasn't with you?

To the OP, I'd say that since I have a trailer, if I knew when the ST was going to come out with the larger engine and the other improvements, I'd wait till then. Right now I'm on my way to Spyderfest and not even using the side-storage. I'm thinking that's my strategy for my third Spyder. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my '14, TOMORROW!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)