Spyder Garage

Default problem O2 sensor on 2008 spyder? info on O2 eliminator?

my spyder from 2008 with about 15 000 km has irregular idling and very bad aceleration up till 4500 rpm. over 4500 rpm seems Ok.
    Have changed spark plugs and ignition wires from Bajaron.
    Could the O2 sensor be the origin of this problem?

Think I've read somewhere there exists a "O2 eleminator".
    Does anybody have experience with this eleminator, and where could I buy this?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gaskets

Many guys have done that when this cough occurs first which is no harm but cause is in your exhaust, you need to replace "Y" gaskets on pipes, place where each individual pipe is joining piece in which they join - this piece would have a shape of "Y" somehow or fork if you like - where pipes go into fork , gaskets need to be replaced.
    It's a job which you'll do on your own, pretty straight forward : strip down side panels from both sides, take off muffler and "Y" pipe, place gaskets on and here is when 2 minutes help from other person helps - putting "Y" pipe back on over gaskets.
    I had as many others same problem with my RS in about same mileage and exact same symptoms.
    There are even Videos done by Arntufun, Lamont, and others here on how to do it. Check out that section. Btw, gaskets you want are from Honda Goldwing and i am nearly sure that some of the Site Sponsors do sell them.

Spyder Garage

Default gaskets?

Thx DragonLord.

think gaskets are not the problem. Had them replaced at 10 000km. And at that time I had a much higher noise level on the bike;

I did not mention in my original message that there was backfiring in exhaust and intake, but the noise level is not higher than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    Many guys have done that when this cough occurs first which is no harm but cause is in your exhaust, you need to replace "Y" gaskets on pipes, place where each individual pipe is joining piece in which they join - this piece would have a shape of "Y" somehow or fork if you like - where pipes go into fork , gaskets need to be replaced.
    It's a job which you'll do on your own, pretty straight forward : strip down side panels from both sides, take off muffler and "Y" pipe, place gaskets on and here is when 2 minutes help from other person helps - putting "Y" pipe back on over gaskets.
    I had as many others same problem with my RS in about same mileage and exact same symptoms.
    There are even Videos done by Arntufun, Lamont, and others here on how to do it. Check out that section. Btw, gaskets you want are from Honda Goldwing and i am nearly sure that some of the Site Sponsors do sell them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hmmmm

right, i would still check that for leaks.
    Q.- does it act like this at all times in regards of temperature comparison - while engine is cold and fully warmed up ?
    Let's see what other guys will chime in with.

Spyder Garage

It's little bit better with engine warmed up, but not brilliant at all

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    right, i would still check that for leaks.
    Q.- does it act like this at all times in regards of temperature comparison - while engine is cold and fully warmed up ?
    Let's see what other guys will chime in with.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

seems you have done the first steps. Have the coils checked as well. Check air filter may not allow much air flow at low rpm's. Or blocked in some way. You may have a bad tank of gas. If you can have her hooked up to the buds system there may be some codes indicating the problem. Some have had the idle needing to be reset or throttle body problems. But I don't know if you can eliminate the o2 sensor or want to. Just some places to check...hope you find the problem...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. It ended up being a crack in one of the vacuum lines that runs from the throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator.

Spyder Garage

My bet is your purge canister is bad -- 5 min fix - dx the purge valve from canister right side of spyder and stick a bolt in to block it off 19 and 21 in photo - if this works block 21 off also - or there are many videos on removal of canister.

Your problems sound exactly what I went through on my 2008 also.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Where can I get this “o2 modifier”? My 08 is showing bad o2 and it’s surging at idle and rough. Please message me ASAP. I really enjoy my GS and want to ride more...lol
    2008 990 GS , Silver/black

Spyder Garage

Firstly.... The OP in this thread last posted on the Forum in Sept 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwsmith911 View Post
    Where can I get this “o2 modifier”? My 08 is showing bad o2 and it’s surging at idle and rough. Please message me ASAP. I really enjoy my GS and want to ride more...lol
    You can't! The O2 sensor is a critical & essential part of the Engine Control Management systems! Without it, your bike really won't run well, if at all!! You MUST have an O2 sensor that works connected into the ECM loom if you want your engine to run properly .

It could be that you need to clean &/or replace your O2 sensor, but there are lots of other things (some mentioned in earlier posts in this thread ) that can be causing the surging at idle & rough running. Things like the vacuum hoses leaking (even if they LOOK fantastic, if they're more than about 5 years old & not silicone, replace them!); the evap canister/purge valve not working or flooded; dirty throttle bodies; dodgy plugs, leads, or coils; and more! An 'O2 eliminator' or 'O2 modifier' is NOT the solution here, even IF there is one available....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2020 at 08:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Firstly.... The OP in this thread last posted on the Forum in Sept 2014!

You can't! The O2 sensor is a critical & essential part of the Engine Control Management systems! Without it, your bike really won't run well, if at all!! You MUST have an O2 sensor that works connected into the ECM loom if you want your engine to run properly .

It could be that you need to clean &/or replace your O2 sensor, but there are lots of other things (some mentioned in earlier posts in this thread ) that can be causing the surging at idle & rough running. Things like the vacuum hoses leaking (even if they LOOK fantastic, if they're more than about 5 years old & not silicone, replace them!); the evap canister/purge valve not working or flooded; dirty throttle bodies; dodgy plugs, leads, or coils; and more! An 'O2 eliminator' or 'O2 modifier' is NOT the solution here, even IF there is one available....
    I have the mysterious O2 eliminator on my 08GS.
    I bought it used from a guy on this forum many years ago. They are as rare as hens' teeth.

I removed the wiring from my OEM O2 sensor and led it up to underneath the battery box. The O2 eliminator is a small electronic module that I velcoed to the underside of the battery box and plugged the OEM sensor wiring harness into
    Then removed the OEM O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe and screwed in a plug
    Ran the Spyder at idle for 30mins to allow the computer to adjust to the new O2 signals it was getting from the O2 modifier.
    It richened the mixture a bit and smoothed out idling and gentle acceleration. Have been extremely happy with it
    It is very easy to revert to the OEM system if you ever want to
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Wow!! OK, oldgoat, I'll stand corrected on the 'You Can't' bit, cos if you've got one, then obviously you can!!

But I don't think that really changes the validity of every/anything else I posted earlier!!

If you've disconnected the 'proper/working' O2 sensor & replaced it with an electronic module of some sort which isn't sampling the exhaust gases, all that can be doing is feeding dummy O2 data/readings to the ECM; and because the data can only ever be 'dummy' and not a true reflection of what your engine is actually doing/how it's running, at best that info will only be helping the engine run 'sorta OK' in a limited range of conditions, if not ONLY in a very specific single condition!!

Basically, that's gonna be just like a clock that's not working..... yep, it's not working, but it's still going to show the 'right' time twice a day!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I too had one on my 08 GS...Worked great with my HMF exhaust, eliminated the cracking & popping when decelerating ...I got mine from Ken at Evolution Performance, Ken also had a Spyder forum way back...Ken and Evolution are both long gone...I THINK, BajaRon was doing some research on the 02 eliminators some time ago, (I THINK)...Bottom line is, I don't know where to get any...Good Luck...larryd

Spyder Garage

Peter

I am aware it enrichens the mixture over the entire engine operating range, but not by much. I have 45,000 km with it on. The spark plugs are always looking just fine when I do the winter servicing. It totally cured the idle speed "hunting" the engine was doing. As you well know, a lot of fuel injected engines used to leave the factory on the lean side.

It will stay on my Spyder as a lean running engine runs hotter & there is more than enough heat in the engine area of an 08 Spyder without adding to it. IMHO (of course)
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc