Spyder Garage

Default Right cable for 2014 RT-S and iPhone 5S

I read all the posts related to iPhone integration but don't think they addressed specifically how you connect a 2014 RT-S to an iPhone 5S.

The RT-S came with the 9 pin to iPhone 4 cable. I went and got the expensive Apple iPhone 4 to 5S adapter ($50 with shipping) and as soon as I plugged the two cables into the iPhone 5S it said "device not supported" and I hadn't even plugged the 9 pin end into the bike yet.

I think it is related to the new lightening cable on the iPhone 5S or maybe the version of IOS 7.1 (11D167) that I'm running.

I like the idea of only maintaining one music device (my phone) and being able to change songs from the handlebars and when I get where I'm going, my phone is fully charged.

Has anyone ordered the BRP iPhone 5S cable and do you know if it actually works? Is this issue unique to the 2014 9 pin connector and software or is it iPhone 5S related?

Unless someone knows of a better solution, I guess I'll have to find a cheap old, used iPhone or iPod and maintain a music only device.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Apple Conversion Plug

LIGHTNING TO 30 PIN.jpgTonyMac, this cable (from APPLE) works with the cable that came with your Spyder. I use my iPhone 5 as well. The only difference, I ride the 2012 RT. There shouldn't be that much difference...unless you have the "Brand-Spankin' New" iPhone5.
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValCruzSpyder View Post
    LIGHTNING TO 30 PIN.jpgTonyMac, this cable (from APPLE) works with the cable that came with your Spyder. I use my iPhone 5 as well. The only difference, I ride the 2012 RT. There shouldn't be that much difference...unless you have the "Brand-Spankin' New" iPhone5.
    Yes, I think that is what the problem is. My iPhone is the latest 5S and from what I've read, there is special circuitry in the cable to let it send data and charge. Even through I got an official iPhone converter from Apple just like the one in your picture, it still doesn't work with the BRP 9 pin cable.

Fun Fact: BRP doesn't even sell a 9 pin to iPhone Lightening cable. Only the 9 pin to iPhone 30 pin which by the way is $100
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I bought an $11 bluetooth adapter that had the 30 pin connector on it. Worked like a champ, if you don't mind not charging your phone.