Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Issue

This is going to be difficult for me to explain, but my husband said that the cable is out of the pulley, and it doesn't look like there's enough cable to go back into the pulley. Does this make sense to anyone? Anybody else had this issue?

Spyder Garage

Cables have been known to jump off the pulley, the dealer, or if your husband is comfortable with it, can replace the cable back on the pulley.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbieogden55 View Post
    This is going to be difficult for me to explain, but my husband said that the cable is out of the pulley, and it doesn't look like there's enough cable to go back into the pulley. Does this make sense to anyone? Anybody else had this issue?
    You can fix this but will require you to pull off some of the bodywork to gain access to the pulley. Do you have the repair manual to walk you through the body panel removal procedures?

You may have to work on the caliper end of the cable to get enough slack to connect the other end on the pulley.

I had to fix this a couple of times (my errors when replacing the rear brake pads) so I know 1 person can do this job. I suppose this is how you learn how your bike works.

BTW, do you have an idea/theory on how this popped off?

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default break cabel

Just picked up our 13 RT from dealer yesterday.Was in for 14,000 mile service although the bike has 17,000 miles on it but that a story for another day.They replaced the break cable because it had a kink in it.The teck said he thinks maby a small stone being wedged in there might have caused it.He said its the third one he replaced and they have been a Spyder dealer since day one. You might want to check to see if your cabel is kinked.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Happened to me last year when I put the Spyder away. I need to take the right side panels off and put the cable back in the pulley. It is a know issue, which I will see if the dealer will address the next time it is in.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pulley

Can you take the pulley off to work with the cable? There is not enough cable to reach the place it has to go on the pulley. Help!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Parking Brake

This happen to my 2011 RT-S, I dropped it off for its 18,000 service, and received a call that the Parking Brake Cable had come out, and broke the pulley. That was three weeks ago, its still in the shop? They are waiting on brake parts from BRP.

Good luck on yours.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Did you try to push the parking brake button to move the pulley into the off position?
    Yes, and it's not moving at all.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Happened to me last year when I put the Spyder away. I need to take the right side panels off and put the cable back in the pulley. It is a know issue, which I will see if the dealer will address the next time it is in.
    put some graphite or other lubricant on the cable then drill a hole above the cable and put an L bracket so that it is JUST above the cable VERY close but NOT touching it and bolt it in place. The bracket will keep the cable from bowing up and keep the end "barrel" in the slot. I had mine come undone 3 times. Finally got a heavier "L" bracket (was a short straight piece from the hardware store that the clerk bent for me.)put in place.

Spyder Garage

A couple of years back, (not exactly sure when), there was a BRP recall to replace the cable return spring on my 2011 RT with a stronger one. This spring is at the opposite end of the cable from the pulley and because it is stronger it pulls the cable tighter and stops it from riding out of its groove on the pulley. It was a good fix.

I think it also helps to keep the cable lubricated.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 04-26-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: clarity

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.