Thread: Skid plate

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Skid plate

is that many folks hit stuff or is the RT that low that it needs it i ran my 2012 RS never had a problem

Spyder Garage

Prior to adding one several years ago I did have a few scuffs under the front end and don't know how they got there Since having Spyderpops add it, I have had no problems............it's just a "peace of mind" thing now

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

rayeade

It is like insurance that you hope you never have to use but happy to have it when you need it. I had one put on mine at the Canam owners event at Maggie Valley last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default It's all about the look.

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    is that many folks hit stuff or is the RT that low that it needs it i ran my 2012 RS never had a problem

I’m sure it has some function, but I like the way it looks.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

i will give yo that it does put a nice look to it

Spyder Garage

Last years Spyderfest, Spyderpops big seller was the Bumpskid, which I am sure he will sell bunches this year as well. He would pull out the OEM skid plate and there was at least 2 or 3 per day that had a good chuck (1/4 piece) missing. I've had mine for over a year and you can tell it's taken a beating, but it is still ready for more!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Last years Spyderfest, Spyderpops big seller was the Bumpskid, which I am sure he will sell bunches this year as well. He would pull out the OEM skid plate and there was at least 2 or 3 per day that had a good chuck (1/4 piece) missing. I've had mine for over a year and you can tell it's taken a beating, but it is still ready for more!

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    For me I notice that I can scrape going in and out of steep driveways or over large speed bumps. So yes the Spyder is low and more so when the nose is angled down coming out of driveways. The bump skid is something I have not installed yet myself but it's on the list.

Oh and I am not sure this is true but on facebook a guy measured his 2014 road height and it seems the 2014's are lower than previous years. I am not saying it's true just what this person reported with pictures.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default scrape

finless if you think you scrape now wait till you put on a bump skid. I had one and hit things I never would have hit before.Sorry but there wont be another

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    finless if you think you scrape now wait till you put on a bump skid. I had one and hit things I never would have hit before.Sorry but there wont be another
    Actually I think I will be going with this model.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/We...tSpyderRT.aspx

I understand what your saying but this model I don't think will hang down as far as the most popular one. Your thoughts?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default scrape

That is what I am waiting for also. Last I checked they did not have them for 2014 RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RTs are definitely lower than the RS, so it may not be a big issue for you on your RS. The bumpskid looks really cool on any Spyder.

The RT-622 trailer bump skid is a must have, it is also the easiest mod to do. When you move the trailer around by hand it is easy to scrape the rear end and scratch the heck out of the paint.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Till you repace it. I replaced mine with the spyderpops and was amazed at how beat up my oem plate was. It has other benefits besides looking cool and full covered protection. On the GS/RS/RSS it heps deflect air to the radiator and oil cooler...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First time I went to coffee at Burger King I didn't realize how far out front the bottom of the frunk is until I heard the scrunch when I hit the concrete bumper! Decided right then and there a skid plate was a necessary add on! And I'd only driven it maybe 300 miles by then. Ouch!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scraped our 14 RT just coming out of a mall parking lot the second day we owned it. Ordered the bumpskid the same day. Decapitated a possum with it last week.

Spyder Garage

well you all talked me into it ordered mine

Spyder Garage

Yeah that front one wouldn't have helped with my scuffs from my brand new 2014. Took this picture before installing my Spyderpops bump skid. There was also scuffs on the front black piece also.

bottomofspyder_scuffs.jpg
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recently installed the Spyderpops bumpskid. I was amazed at how thin and flimsy the OEM skid plate was. I have noticed that the front end does bottom out more often since installation but that's to be expected because it is 1/2 inch thick compared to the factory plate which doesn't protect anything. The thickier plate will not be damaged just because it makes contact with the ground, speed bump, etc. Just think about the potential damage that could be inflicted without it. And it does look good while its protecting your investment.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had a 2010 rt and was forced to straddle a dead ground hog. The bump skid would have saved my body work. Put one on right after that. The Spyderpops version protects those cute little winglets too. I put one on my 2014 as soon as I bought it. And yes the 14 is lower, and the 14 skid plate has a slight upward angle toward the front.

Spyder Garage

I live two miles up a rough dirt road and it has kept the bottom of the Spyder safe and rock chip free.
    mtbear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's back on my "Short-List" as well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black