Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealership Maintenance Plan

Hi, I have a question (husband bought a ST Limited this past wknd) hopeful someone can help me decide if the dealership maintenance plan is worth it, we did get the extended BRP (have 5 yrs there). The dealership is offering a maintenance plan for over $4000. Covers 3 yrs all parts and free life time oil changes. Would you say it is worth $4000 or is this high?

Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance

Alot of Spyder owners do their own maintenance -- it depends on how mechanically inclined your husband is or you are -- personally I think 4k is alot -- as I do my own maint -- plus you or your husband can get alot of help in this forum if you have maintenance how to questions

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm planning to attempt my own oil change , when the time comes.
    saves me abt 180$

Spyder Garage

$4,000 seems a lot. If it is only good at the selling dealer, there is no guarantee the dealer will be there to provide service throughout the contract. Another consideration, what if you move away?

With the additional warranty offered by BRP, I would hold off on a service contract as such.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that $4000 is a lot. Most everything will be covered under the warranty during that time anyway. Will it cover tires and brakes? Even if you ride 30,000 miles in a year I think that is high.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default No way..!!

jmo but that sound a bit sketchy and expensive. If they are warranty parts your already covers for five years. Your possibilty of needing a none covered part will be slim at best for the two normal years plus the extension. Oil changes for life on a 2014 is no deal even for any model before. I may be missing something if so point it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Too expensive

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm thinking that $4000 is a lot. Most everything will be covered under the warranty during that time anyway. Will it cover tires and brakes? Even if you ride 30,000 miles in a year I think that is high.
    Got my St Limited, 2014 last week. $4,000 is so expensive.
    be careful that some is not transferable if you sell the spyder or if you relocate to another state or city. The cover that is worth it is the tire coverage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBogo View Post
    Hi, I have a question (husband bought a ST Limited this past wknd) hopeful someone can help me decide if the dealership maintenance plan is worth it, we did get the extended BRP (have 5 yrs there). The dealership is offering a maintenance plan for over $4000. Covers 3 yrs all parts and free life time oil changes. Would you say it is worth $4000 or is this high?

The purchase of our last two RT's included three year maintenance plans that I negotiated into the purchase price.

The cost quoted was $2,950 each but as I recall we paid $1,750 for each in the final negotiations.

That gives each of us six maintenance intervals over the three years period, as outlined in the factory schedule.

The most expensive of these was the 12,000 mile service (now 14,000) with all the rest being filters, oil, fluids, labor etc. for the normal service intervals.

To date I have over 20,000 miles on my RT and have one service interval left on my plan, so I think it was worthwhile.

My wife has just over 13,000 on hers and has three intervals left and I doubt she will use those before the three years are up come October of this year.

Your deal offers lifetime oil changes but it depends on how long you plan to keep your ryde. It would take many years to amortize four grand!

If I had to do it over again I think I would pass.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post

I actually don’t think any extended warranty is worth it because you are betting against the people who know far more about the vehicle than you do and they bet you won’t use it to the limit.

I posted on another thread recently that the average annual mileage for motorcycle owners is around 5,000. Dealers know the odds and in a 3 year period that 15,000 miles would work out to three or maybe four service intervals. So if the plan covered six intervals, the dealer doesn't have to worry about the last two ever being used.

The result is that cost goes away and falls to his bottom line. Plus the dealer gets to use your money up front for that three year period.

The more I think about it the less I like the idea.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a maintenance plan when I bought my 2010 RT because, while I have always done my own maintenance, the Spyder was much more technical with the computers and things. I had always done my own valve adjustments on my BMW's but they had rocker arm valve adjusters, very simple compared to the Spyder's cup and shim arrangement. I just didn't trust myself to maintain the overhead cam engine and had no way, of course, to access BUDS. Since I had decided to let the dealership do the maintenance, it made sense to me to buy their 3 year maintenance plan which was about $1500.00 ( I have the exact figure in my records but don't have time right now to look it up, it was about $1500.00 and I'll edit this post later to quote it exactly.) For me, this was a good deal. I was averaging about 1000 miles a month and recommended service intervals at that time were 3000 miles. I think $4,000.00 is too high, especially with the new, longer service intervals. Actually, it's pretty easy to determine if it's worth the money or not. Simply find out what the shop charges for normal Spyder service, make an educated guess about how many miles you will ride, divide the miles by the service interval, and multiply by the dollars charged for service. If the figure isn't pretty darned close to $4,000.00, don't buy the contract, just pay individually for services or do it yourself.

As promised, I looked up the actual cost of the 3 year maintenance agreement and it was $1,399.00. At the end of the period I tried to get the dealer to renew it and they would not, saying they only sold maintenance agreements with new bikes. It was a good deal for me. At $4,000.00, it would not have been.

Cotton
    Last edited by bikeguy; 04-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A Big Thank You

Thank you everyone for your posts. You have really help us out. My husband is
    mechanically inclined, as well as both our boys and their friends.

My husband worked on his Shadow, and my HD, until his crash in late 2012; he really misses that bike. Due to the accident he can’t dolphin flip his left foot nor hold a two wheel up because of the damage to the left hip. Told him the only way he was going to ride again was to get something that was automatic, so I suggested he try a Spyder. At first, he didn’t like the idea but now loves it. Nice to see him out scootin again.

He’s already looking at accessories. There’s a lot of stuff out there and if I don’t real him he’ll have a second mortgage of accessories…LOL.

Thanks again, I think we will for go the maintenance agreement this go round.
    Last edited by LadyBogo; 04-22-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I think you made a wise decesion

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBogo View Post
    Thank you everyone for your posts. You have really help us out. My husband is
    mechanically inclined, as well as both our boys and their friends.

My husband worked on his Shadow, and my HD, until his crash in late 2012; he really misses that bike. Due to the accident he can’t dolphin flip his left foot nor hold a two wheel up because of the damage to the left hip. Told him the only way he was going to ride again was to get something that was automatic, so I suggested he try a Spyder. At first, he didn’t like the idea but now loves it. Nice to see him out scootin again.

He’s already looking at accessories. There’s a lot of stuff out there and if I don’t real him he’ll have a second mortgage of accessories…LOL.

Thanks again, I think we will for go the maintenance agreement this go round.
    on declining. The Spyder does come with a high cost of maintenance, but aside from wear items and scheduled services, you have the four year warranty to take care of the non wear items. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the Spyder!
    Lets ride!!!!