Spyder Garage

Default Won't come out reverse to either neutral or first

Tonight after reversing out of the driveway then pushing the paddle shifter to go into neutral it would not shift into neutral. I tried again and the engine rpm's raised three times in succession but did not come out. Put it back in reverse then back into neutral and this time it came out. Thought it was a one off situation. Went for a ride parked and the same thin happened but this time it took several attempts and I had to shut the machine down. It restarted but stayed in reverse. Again pushed to go into neutral and the engine rpm's went up three times. Could here clicking underneath three times also. Finally got it into neutral and have not put back in reverse since.

Help need suggestions !! ??

Spyder Garage

is the brake depressed while shifting? don't know what model you have.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

What year and model Spyder do you have???

RS

ST

RT

????
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It is a 2011 RTS SE5. I have never had this problem before in the 2.5 years we have owned it. Never had it stick and never had it stay in reverse after starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    What year and model Spyder do you have???

RS

ST

RT

????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    It is a 2011 RTS SE5. I have never had this problem before in the 2.5 years we have owned it. Never had it stick and never had it stay in reverse after starting.

My first thought would be to check the oil level (OR when was the last oil change), when shy of oil, transmissions are contrary, when oil is dirty, filters clog and get contrary.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oil first...
    Then; I'd take a look under the bike at the shifting linkage.
    Left side; about underneath where you check the oil. It could have had the connections loosen up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like shift linkage. It has happened to me also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

is the bike started, i just had to ask
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Must be be the problem I was Fred Flinstone'ing it!

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    is the bike started, i just had to ask

Spyder Garage

My 09 did that a lot and it was time for an oil change when it happened.

When was the last time the oil was changed?
    Is the oil low?
    Is the shift lever loose?

When an SE5 is not able to complete the shift when at idle. The engine will rev up to 2,000 rpm up to 3 times to slightly engaged the clutch. This will move the gears in the transmission to assist them to engage. If you are having trouble getting it to shift, it will also help remove your foot from the brake if safe to do so.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Oil level is good and shift lever seems tight. Oil was last changed 5500 kms ago and should be good to 7500 kms with the larger filters. Will change the oil this weekend just in case. Didn't shift it into reverse until we got home. Tried reverse then neutral than first and it worked flawlessly the 5 times I tried it. Possibly as suggested a small amount of dirt or debris.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My 09 did that a lot and it was time for an oil change when it happened.

When was the last time the oil was changed?
    Is the oil low?
    Is the shift lever loose?

When an SE5 is not able to complete the shift when at idle. The engine will rev up to 2,000 rpm up to 3 times to slightly engaged the clutch. This will move the gears in the transmission to assist them to engage. If you are having trouble getting it to shift, it will also help remove your foot from the brake if safe to do so.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

With check oil crowd. This will effect the clutch as well. So if linkage is tight oil level clean and full then you will have to have it checked out. There could be something in the sensors...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Oil level is good and shift lever seems tight. Oil was last changed 5500 kms ago and should be good to 7500 kms with the larger filters. Will change the oil this weekend just in case. Didn't shift it into reverse until we got home. Tried reverse then neutral than first and it worked flawlessly the 5 times I tried it. Possibly as suggested a small amount of dirt or debris.

Thanks all for the quick replies.
    I take it you are going to change your own oil. May I suggest inspecting the free length of the HCM regulator spring. When the oil is drained it will only take an extra 10 minutes and no parts. Although not a likely cause it can be eliminated as a cause if the problem continues after the oil change. If the free length is less than 110 mm it could be a contributing factor and should be replaced.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Check Oil

I have a 2013 RT and just had the same thing happen to me. The oil was low and ready to change and once that was done the problem went away.

Spyder Garage

I was under the machine today and noticed that the end of the shifter (looks like a round ball) had thread impressions in it. The torx bolt that goes through the lower part of the grey side frame near the foot peg was coming into contact with it and has actually worn an impression into that part. Changed it with the shorter bolt that was directly above it. Dont know if this had any part of not shifting into reverse, but it did not seem right.
    Next the oil change.
    I was actually installing a set of Rivco floor boards at the time, which are very well made and very nice quality.

Spyder Garage

I was under the machine today and noticed that the end of the shifter (looks like a round ball) had thread impressions in it. The torx bolt that goes through the lower part of the grey side frame near the foot peg was coming into contact with it and has actually worn an impression into that part. Changed it with the shorter bolt that was directly above it. Dont know if this had any part of not shifting into reverse, but it did not seem right.
    Next the oil change.
    I was actually installing a set of Rivco floor boards at the time, which are very well made and very nice quality.
    I think you found a clue to your problem, good observation by the way. But since it was working alright and recently it did not and bolts don't grow longer over time. I think you should check for a loose shifter lever again. Specifically can it slide back and forth on the spline shaft. This is a common problem by the way and many don't notice until it falls off.

2018 F3 LIMITED