Spyder Garage

Default What prep for your Spyder in advance of Spyderfest?

Before every long trip I go through a fairly rigorous process of servicing the spyder, inspecting it, and then taking inventory of what I always have packed as well packing my clothes, etc.

My GS is getting long in the tooth, but I find that as I don't modify it much at all anymore, the amount of prep in advance of a trip is somewhat minimal. Here is what I had to do this past weekend to get her ready to go.

• Replace the battery: Finally! I was on the original still and it was finally getting weak. Found a good bit of corrosion on the surface of the ground, but still a solid connection. Cleaned up and popped the new battery in. I haven't been in that side of the Spyder since 2010 thanks to my GIVI bag racks.
    • Replaced the seat release cable: Cable was getting bound up as it had worn partially through the inside lining, but not the outside sheath. No sign of corrosion at all. Couldn't pop the seat from time to time.
    • Replaced return spring on parking brake and lubed mechanism. Parking brake wasn't fully returning to home position and causing the dash alert while riding among other issues.

For a change, my oil and air filter are fresh enough already. Just have to wash her and check the tire pressure and I'm off! Newest add to the over the road tool kit is a compact jump start battery: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So what have some of you run into surprise or not in readying the Spyder for this trip? What new tools or gizmos are you adding for the first time?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I put new batteries in my GloRyders yesterday & installed SpyderPops' RT622 Bump Skid on the trailer. May wipe the dust off it, or not.

Was looking for you on ST last week, but didn't see you. Was going to ask if you're coming to SpyderFest. Glad to see you are. I plan to leave Alpharetta Tuesday after work, provided the rain isn't in, as is predicted. If it's raining, I might work from home and then head out after it stops.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

1. Installed 622 Bump Skid.
    2. Upgraded from Gen2 to GEN3 for SPOT Tracker.
    3. Made 36 Spyderfest and Lamonster Garage mugs with a few mouse pads.
    4. Made packing list and only 39% complete.
    5. Got RAM mount for GoPro Hero3 Camera.
    6. Charging all electronics that I am taking with me.

Spyder Garage

Repacked the wheel bearings in my pull behind trailer, sorting out tools, etc to load up and getting ready to head to SF.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I put new batteries in my GloRyders yesterday & installed SpyderPops' RT622 Bump Skid on the trailer. May wipe the dust off it, or not.

Was looking for you on ST last week, but didn't see you. Was going to ask if you're coming to SpyderFest. Glad to see you are. I plan to leave Alpharetta Tuesday after work, provided the rain isn't in, as is predicted. If it's raining, I might work from home and then head out after it stops.
    Mark,

Was pretty busy and was avoiding being on SameTime. I'm heading out Tuesday morning wet or dry.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I'm starting out with 8.1 gal and a trailer full of stuff that for the most part I probably won't need.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I just knock the dust off, check the tires and pack 1.5 times what we need and we are off.

Hey Dan I see we are both staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites. I have a couple of ideas to chat about if we bump into each other.

JT

Spyder Garage

I just decided to ride my '12 RT-S a few miles first, so we took off the 31st of March for a "Southwest Tour". Went as far west as Vegas and currently in southeastern Utah with 3,731 miles since leaving KY. Monument Valley is next and then across the bottom of Colorado and Kansas toward Tulsa for a Studebaker car show the 25th.
    Only problem so far is that a day or so back I lost left side power for brake/turn signals to the 622 trailer. The bike's lights are fine, just no power out of that lower lefthand terminal on the 4-square plug on the Spyder.

Mike from KY

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do..!!

Keep her ready to go at all times. If I could go I would be ready in 15 min. But one should check all fluid levels, tire condition and pressure, all lights functioning properly have tool kit first aid kit and backup paper map with the route packed. Leave flight plan with resposible person check the home if left alone and pack at your discression. Then hit the road, from the look of things there will be a spyder coming by every 20min's...enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Had Glory serviced a couple of weeks ago (oil change, filters, and general safety check and once over by the Master Tech) , washed and scrubed yesterday and a wax job planned for today. Also will uncover the trailer and do the same before we leave next week!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

High octane fuel!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default LIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by metman View Post
    I just decided to ride my '12 RT-S a few miles first, so we took off the 31st of March for a "Southwest Tour". Went as far west as Vegas and currently in southeastern Utah with 3,731 miles since leaving KY. Monument Valley is next and then across the bottom of Colorado and Kansas toward Tulsa for a Studebaker car show the 25th.
    Only problem so far is that a day or so back I lost left side power for brake/turn signals to the 622 trailer. The bike's lights are fine, just no power out of that lower lefthand terminal on the 4-square plug on the Spyder.

Mike from KY
    I have had that problem twice. Both times it was the trailer light module under the seat. Covered by warranty both times.
    50 YEARS & STILL GOING STRONG....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I have had that problem twice. Both times it was the trailer light module under the seat. Covered by warranty both times.
    I just got in a spare module that I will carry in my 622 for this reason. $150 is worth the peace of mind.