Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Loss of steering assist

It happened on our trip this weekend and was quite scary.We were riding the Cherahola Skyway and going through the turns fairly fast and while doing some switch backs the power steering assist went dead and we crossed over into the other lane before the computer caught up and and the assist came back. It slowed us down because once we almost ran off the road. Scary looking over the side and no steering. We rode the Dragon with no problems,which is even more turns. It feels like you have lost your power steering belt on you car. We were lucky nobody was coming the other way or it could have been bad. We are taking it to the dealer for the 3,000 mile service,but I doubt htey will find anything as it only happened twice and there was no way to repeat the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue on their 2014 RT units?

Spyder Garage

I have had the same thing happen, yes it is an eye opener. Had it happen once slow right corner and highway left corner. Like you I will be for the 3000 mile service this Friday. Never had it happen on the earlier years. I wonder if they changed the code for the computer power assist. Doesn't happen often, maybe once in 1000 miles, kinda hard to find if that is the norm.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Yet

...and hope I don't . The only glitch I've had so far is my cruise control stopped working. Pulled over, shut 'er down, restarted and all was well. Approaching 3000 miles on my 14 RT-L.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default Scary..!!

Do make sure to mention it when in for service. They should see it in the buds code check. If no codes showed up it would go to stored codes. Glad you all were able to handle the situation....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sassoman View Post
    It happened on our trip this weekend and was quite scary.We were riding the Cherahola Skyway and going through the turns fairly fast and while doing some switch backs the power steering assist went dead and we crossed over into the other lane before the computer caught up and and the assist came back. It slowed us down because once we almost ran off the road. Scary looking over the side and no steering. We rode the Dragon with no problems,which is even more turns. It feels like you have lost your power steering belt on you car. We were lucky nobody was coming the other way or it could have been bad. We are taking it to the dealer for the 3,000 mile service,but I doubt htey will find anything as it only happened twice and there was no way to repeat the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue on their 2014 RT units?
    This is nothing new, it has been going on since 2008 and BRP knows about this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kinda like the feeling with no power steering....to me it's actually easier to ride...except for low speed menuvers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Happened two weeks ago on my wife's 2010 RTS. After sitting for awhile it was fine. Hasn't happened since then. Note that the DPS may not throw a code or present stored a code. Hers was on BUDS and no codes were shown.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

That is a new one for me. Have not encountered the problem on any of my 's at any time. I could see where it could be a potential safety issue.

Hoping it is not an across the board issue with the 2014's--but based on what I have seen posted about them--so far--the problem seems to be intermittent.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Same here this is my 4th spyder and this is the first time I have run into this. Will let you know if any codes were found Friday.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering assist

I've been having a problem with this.
    Here's my recent post. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ng-Cutting-Out!
    Have you gotten any fix for yours yet?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I kinda like the feeling with no power steering....to me it's actually easier to ride...except for low speed menuvers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1
    me too
    love it without DPS but we have RS, must be a different ball game on RT

don't get me wrong, i do feel and understand your concerns

I see that Spyders are in some or many cases a lot of trouble for a lot of money - no good!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We are taking our RT in for the 3,000 mile service tomorrow and will have them check all connections and pull the codes to see if there are any active codes.Has not happened ,but twice in one day and have ridden over 700 miles since it happened last Saturday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    Here's to hoping, that a reason can be found; and that it's an easy one to fix!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black