Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

When I ran a carwash forum, one time a guy sent me a mp3/wma of the sound, I posted it and within an hour the problem was solved. I don't think that a mp3/wma can be posted here directly, but if the OP wants to send it to me, I can post it on my site and it would be able to be listened to. I see you can post a video which would have the audio. Worth a try. My 14 seems somewhat load, but I really don't have a reference.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTL 1330 with noise at start-up

I've read thru the posts on this subject that I could locate here in S.L., and listened to ours today while out for 3.5 hours with start and stop at multiple times along the way. initial start after sitting for a few days, Cold drinks at rest stops, bathroom break, ice cream stop, and gas on way home. 160 miles total. My main conclusion (opinion) is that the noise only occurred at the initial start-up. It was not noticeable (to me) at any of the follow-on shutdown/startups. I am thinking it is merely the system being replenished with oil after the drain back we are all familiar with based on the oil level test procedure. Sitting for "some period" will cause it (overnight?), while shorter times between shutdown and startup won't. All of this of course is IMHO. Any more thoughts on this issue from others?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this? Stan
    Same here.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I've read thru the posts on this subject that I could locate here in S.L., and listened to ours today while out for 3.5 hours with start and stop at multiple times along the way. initial start after sitting for a few days, Cold drinks at rest stops, bathroom break, ice cream stop, and gas on way home. 160 miles total. My main conclusion (opinion) is that the noise only occurred at the initial start-up. It was not noticeable (to me) at any of the follow-on shutdown/startups. I am thinking it is merely the system being replenished with oil after the drain back we are all familiar with based on the oil level test procedure. Sitting for "some period" will cause it (overnight?), while shorter times between shutdown and startup won't. All of this of course is IMHO. Any more thoughts on this issue from others?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Another thread similar

There was another thread on this same subject some time ago...Check it out...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...sioner-problem

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I really don't find my new F3 limited that noisy. But my hearing may be considered questionable by some that know me. The hydraulic lifters will make a little extra noise until the the oil pressure builds up. The same goes for the timing chain, since the tensioner is oil charged. I have not done an oil change yet but what Shawn Smoak described in one of his videos. It sounds like someone dumped a bag of nuts and bolts into the engine for a few seconds after startup.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Agree with Hydraulic lifter sounds when no oli

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I really don't find my new F3 limited that noisy. But my hearing may be considered questionable by some that know me. The hydraulic lifters will make a little extra noise until the the oil pressure builds up. The same goes for the timing chain, since the tensioner is oil charged. I have not done an oil change yet but what Shawn Smoak described in one of his videos. It sounds like someone dumped a bag of nuts and bolts into the engine for a few seconds after startup.
    Thanks Billy. Nuts and bolts raddling around is a good description of the sound. Luckily, as I think I proved to myself yesterday, it doesn't last more than a very few seconds and only on initial day's startup. I'm inclined right now to give it an "OK" status and chalk it up to another "Spyder learning experience" - a number of which have occurred lately as I prepare us for our long trip in a few weeks.

Thanks for your input.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

If the Spyder oil filters have an anti drain back valve it should keep the oil galleries filled with oil and pretty much prevent noisy hydraulic lifters, shouldn't it?
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black