Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited Start Up Noise?

Has anyone had a clangy metal noise on initial start up? Noise goes away within 15 seconds after initial start up. Sorry I can not describe it any better. Thanks for your help. The bike is a 2014 RT Limited and has 600+ trouble free miles, no other issues...........except the " key recall ". Been riding this machine to break in for my wife. I am a two wheeler Harley rider...........I must say, I really like this machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the reply...........

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.
    You have much experience with these machines. I am beginning to think it might have something to do with the alternator? I noticed that the sound goes away at the time the lights get bright again after start up. Hope it is that simple..........thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a humming sound that goes away after you hit the Mode button, but I would not say that it is metallic sounding.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HYD Valve Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...
    Good point Chupaca. Never thought about that? Being that it is still very low mileage..........might very well be the noise. Sounds like you are much like me? When I get something new, I need to learn all the " sounds ". Know your machine and what it sounds like..........that is good for bikes, boats, aircraft and cars. Thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you give us an idea of where you think that the noise is coming from?
    I've heard nothing too unusual from under mine; I'll try listening more closely to the startup sequence this morning...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I think problem solved..............

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I would agree that on start up there is a minor "rattle" that is gone very quickly. Our machine has done it from day one. Not loud, not in any way discouraging, or a worry for me. I sort of felt that as mentioned it was the SE clutch picking up fluid.

If you do run it to the dealer, you may need to leave it overnight, I never notice it after the first start of the day.

Once fired up and warmed up, the clutch and gearbox work fine. With cold oil and a cool engine, the gearbox does clunk into gear getting it out of the garage. Again nothing I am to worked up over.

FWIW, our machine is just over 1300 miles.

PK
    That is exactly the noise. After riding and stopping for fuel............no noise. Either the clutch or the lifters? The dealer has not heard the noise, but I don't think they have had many machines to play with yet. Thanks for taking the time my friend.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Right on target!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Think you and PMK got it solved. I am thinking it is the clutch. When I get a definitive answer from the dealer, I will pass it on. Thanks very much for your time. BTW, lived out your way many years ago when in the Navy, at NAS North Island. Had a good friend that flew with Pacific Southwest Airlines that lived at Mt. Helix. I remember it was a beautiful place! Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you figured it out. I have a manual transmission - no noise with it.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622