Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited Start Up Noise?

Has anyone had a clangy metal noise on initial start up? Noise goes away within 15 seconds after initial start up. Sorry I can not describe it any better. Thanks for your help. The bike is a 2014 RT Limited and has 600+ trouble free miles, no other issues...........except the " key recall ". Been riding this machine to break in for my wife. I am a two wheeler Harley rider...........I must say, I really like this machine.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the reply...........

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, I have never heard that noise on either of the 2014s that I have ridden.
    You have much experience with these machines. I am beginning to think it might have something to do with the alternator? I noticed that the sound goes away at the time the lights get bright again after start up. Hope it is that simple..........thanks again.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There is a humming sound that goes away after you hit the Mode button, but I would not say that it is metallic sounding.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HYD Valve Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But they have had some mention of the new clutches. If the hydraulics in the clutch have to charge up it could cause the noise. Hydraulic valve lifters made a clatter till oil filled in. Have the dealer have a listen...
    Good point Chupaca. Never thought about that? Being that it is still very low mileage..........might very well be the noise. Sounds like you are much like me? When I get something new, I need to learn all the " sounds ". Know your machine and what it sounds like..........that is good for bikes, boats, aircraft and cars. Thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you give us an idea of where you think that the noise is coming from?
    I've heard nothing too unusual from under mine; I'll try listening more closely to the startup sequence this morning...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I think problem solved..............

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I would agree that on start up there is a minor "rattle" that is gone very quickly. Our machine has done it from day one. Not loud, not in any way discouraging, or a worry for me. I sort of felt that as mentioned it was the SE clutch picking up fluid.

If you do run it to the dealer, you may need to leave it overnight, I never notice it after the first start of the day.

Once fired up and warmed up, the clutch and gearbox work fine. With cold oil and a cool engine, the gearbox does clunk into gear getting it out of the garage. Again nothing I am to worked up over.

FWIW, our machine is just over 1300 miles.

PK
    That is exactly the noise. After riding and stopping for fuel............no noise. Either the clutch or the lifters? The dealer has not heard the noise, but I don't think they have had many machines to play with yet. Thanks for taking the time my friend.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Right on target!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Think you and PMK got it solved. I am thinking it is the clutch. When I get a definitive answer from the dealer, I will pass it on. Thanks very much for your time. BTW, lived out your way many years ago when in the Navy, at NAS North Island. Had a good friend that flew with Pacific Southwest Airlines that lived at Mt. Helix. I remember it was a beautiful place! Thanks again.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you figured it out. I have a manual transmission - no noise with it.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Location

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you give us an idea of where you think that the noise is coming from?
    I've heard nothing too unusual from under mine; I'll try listening more closely to the startup sequence this morning...
    Hello Bob, hard to tell the location at present? Going to research about the clutch and lifters being the possible problem. The sound goes away after riding the bike and starting while still warm. Just saw PMK's post, something else to consider. I have a Powrachute light aircraft with a Rotax 100hp engine. I herd cattle with at at 20'. I trust the engine very much (a little different engine, but well made) Time will tell. Thank you all for your time and effort.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking Timing chain rattle till oil presser builds up.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put my "Hard-Rock" tuned ears to the task yesterday morning...
    The bike IS a bit noisier than my old one when it first fires up. My guess; is that it's got to do with getting the oil pressure up and everyting circulating nicely...

Spyder Garage

I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this?

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I have noticed more noise when you first crank the motor and then it gets quieter after a short warm up. However, I find the 1330 engine noisy in general. I couldn't tell you if the muffler is there or not (I know if there was no muffler it would be loud). All I hear is engine noise riding down the road. Any body else notice this?

Stan
    I also hear a lot of engine noise up to about 50 mph on my 14 RTL, thought I was the only one .I did a cat delete and a Magnaflo straight thru exhaust to drown out the sewing machine noise, but it was too lean and very sluggish off the line. I kept trying smaller baffles from 2" down to 1" and it would be a little better but it sounds too much like a small car and still lean.

My 13 RtL with Kewl Metal intake, cat delete, Yoshimere 77 exhaust, power commander is much faster and more fun to drive. It will spin rear tire from a rolling start in 1'st and 2'nd gear. My 14 RTL won't do that, it has a delay and doesn't pull very good till it gets above 4 thou.

So I am in the process of going back to the stock muffler with the cat delete and I guess use ear plugs till some one comes up with a fuel management for the 14's.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

I just rode my 2014 RTS home for the first time. To me, the sound reminds me kinda of a diesel truck sound. Is that an accurate description or should I take it back to the mechanic?
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

2012 Spyder RTS - Blue (17,700 miles)

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

ISCI Hand Brake w/ cup holder

ISCI center screw RAM mount w/ universal holder

ISCI driver and passenger floorboards

FZ-1 fuse block

Powerlet 12-volt socket installed in front speaker grill

Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Hopnel dash bags and saddle bag nets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post
    I just rode my 2014 RTS home for the first time. To me, the sound reminds me kinda of a diesel truck sound. Is that an accurate description or should I take it back to the mechanic?
    Seems I heard this same comment about the time the '14s first came out but not lately...

Guess no one wants to think a Spyder sounds like a diesel truck....

Spyder Garage

Default Four Stroke Inline Triples

Having had two Triumph triples (1996 900cc Adventurer and 2010 Rocket III Touring) I can say they do not sound that much like diesel engines. Think of them as one bank of a V6 engine. The Adventurer had a rather loud aftermarket muffler and at certain RPMs reminded me of a WWII fighter plane (think Spitfire or P51 Mustang) swooping. The 2300cc Rocket had the Triumph performance slip-ons and at 50-60 mph reminded me more of a marine engine (think old Chris-Craft boats with inline six or straight eight engines). I haven't yet experenced a Spyder RT with the 1330 ACE yet but I'm willing to bet it falls somewhere in between the two Triumphs that I've had sound wise.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post

Stan
    About the same for me. I thought it was considerably noisier than my 2 wheel bikes, but I have nothing to compare it to, since this is my first one. It goes into the dealer Friday to get the BajaRon bar put on and a few other things, so I'll have them give a listen and see if they hear anything they shouldn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post

That is what I thought when I first rode my 14. When you come back down though the gears (sm6) it sounds like a semi jake brake. Very cool I think. My engine at 60 is so Quiet that I have to turn down my tunes. Way different then my 11 rts. I really love this machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it sound like this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does it sound like this?

That's it Daddy-o. To me It sounds like starter run on for just a couple of secs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It just seemed kind of appropriate in here...
    "Wipe-Out..."

Spyder Garage

I agree with the engine sounding like a small diesel. Now that I have grown accustomed to it, I don't notice it quite so much. When you first start it, it is very noisy, but I let it run for 30 or 45 seconds until I think it is well lubed and back it out of the garage and it is less noisy once it warms up. The engine itself is a lot more nosier than the 2013 RT-L that I had, but it is much quieter once you get it up to 40 or 50 mph. It is what it is. I like it a lot.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Timing chain noise when cold started, is this common ,

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    About the same for me. I thought it was considerably noisier than my 2 wheel bikes, but I have nothing to compare it to, since this is my first one. It goes into the dealer Friday to get the BajaRon bar put on and a few other things, so I'll have them give a listen and see if they hear anything they shouldn't.

When you change oil and filter you expect some noise, but every time its started cold, the timing chain rattle, Anyone else having this problem????? On the chevy 2.2 Ecotec at work we change the chain tensioner, because the spring thats suppose to keep chain tight until oil pressure builds up gets weak, that solves the problem. The 1330 motor has the same type tensioner with spring, but reading all the comments about noise when started, makes me think
    its the same problem. On the 2.2 motors its about 2 hours work, but the Spyders its a lot of work