Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What octane is everybody using

I've heard you must use 93 octane in the 1330?

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm using 93 but did put 89 in once and the bike seemed to run ok but will
    keep using the 93 as that's what is recommended.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

The recomandation is just that. Outside the US gasolines are different. Our 87 works fine and will not damage anything. For sure the higher the better and as I have said for a buck difference per tank why not go with the best. I use all of them 87-100+ racing fuel..now that is fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi test in mine

Spyder Garage

93 or better just like in my 11 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default When I can get it....

91 octane no ethanol. Here in Overland Park, KS, I get it at Hy-Vee. Use the station locator www.pure-gas.org when I'm other places.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    91 octane no ethanol. Here in Overland Park, KS, I get it at Hy-Vee. Use the station locator www.pure-gas.org when I'm other places.
    Locally, the only place for no ethanol are 2 boat marinas each around 30 miles away (and the pumps are located on the docks).

After just a few fill-ups, went from 87 to 93. Some places I have ridden only go as high as 91.

Locally, 93 is 20¢ more then 87 so usually costs me around 80¢ to a dollar for the difference.

2012 RT-S SM5.

Spyder Garage

The 2013s require 91 or greater according to the emissions certification label. Not sure what that labels states on the 2014s. Its on the frame under the seat.

I did put 87 in mine once by accident and will endeavor to not do that again. The difference in performance was VERY noticeable as the ecm pulls a bunch of timing to eliminate preignition detected by the knock sensor.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tried 89 this weekend on trip and did not see any difference in mileage or performance. Some places the difference in price was 40 cents per gallon,so I thought I would try the 89 and it did not seem to hurt anything ,no spark knock,no loss off power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Our choices here are mostly 87, 88, and 90. I put 90 into my 's. No ethanol in our gas. When I have a choice of 87 only, the do not seem to be as "peppy."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-21-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're not...
    they can handle the cheaper swill; but for about a dollar's saving on a fill-up, I'd rather feed it what the factory suggests!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With running the risk of ticking some people off...
    You pay $20 to $30k for a vehicle and consider using something other than what the manufacturer (engineers) recommend?

There are reasons why fuel octane ranges are recommended -- however, having said that, I'll bet a case of beer there will be someone post on this thread with a long list of reasons why they know best and use whatever they want in their Spyder, and that it is better than the manufacturer recommends. Just another reason I do not buy used vehicles.

Most people do not even understand what octane ratings mean. Some believe the higher the octane the better the fuel; which cannot be any further from the truth.

Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel; as so many uninformed seem to believe. If it did then everyone would use "rocket-fuel" in their vehicles.

In the most of layman's terms, octane relates to the "burn-rate" of the fuel; and various engines require specific burn-rates to work properly as designed to get the most from the engine and prevent damage over the long-term.

Use what the manual says to use... there is a reason they provide the suggestion.

Again... another reason I do not buy used vehicles.

Sorry if this ticks anyone off or offends them...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    With running the risk of ticking some people off...
    You pay $20 to $30k for a vehicle and consider using something other than what the manufacturer (engineers) recommend?

There are reasons why fuel octane ranges are recommended -- however, having said that, I'll bet a case of beer there will be someone post on this thread with a long list of reasons why they know best and use whatever they want in their Spyder, and that it is better than the manufacturer recommends. Just another reason I do not buy used vehicles.

Most people do not even understand what octane ratings mean. Some believe the higher the octane the better the fuel; which cannot be any further from the truth.

Octane has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel; as so many uninformed seem to believe. If it did then everyone would use "rocket-fuel" in their vehicles.

In the most of layman's terms, octane relates to the "burn-rate" of the fuel; and various engines require specific burn-rates to work properly as designed to get the most from the engine and prevent damage over the long-term.

Use what the manual says to use... there is a reason they provide the suggestion.

Again... another reason I do not buy used vehicles.

Sorry if this ticks anyone off or offends them...
    Your opinion is good. No one should get ticked off. I like to play with numbers. It's the accountant/CPA in me. I like to hear about Octane--but with all the variables possible--I will bet someone could write a PHD thesis on the subject and still not completely nail it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about when i am drinking or gassin up the ryde???

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Well, I guess I am odd man out

I am using the same thing I put in my 2012. I run non-ethanol 87. Performance continues to be good and my mpg is in the high 30's. When I filled up yesterday, my mpg was 39.67.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I only use the octane recommended for the spyder . In my case it is min 91Octane in 990 motor

Spyder Garage

I ran a tank of 87. Won't do that again!!! I could hear the engine pinging under load at low rpm. It dose not do this with premium.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

87 in my '11 with 32K when traded; same in my '14. Absolutely no pinging.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried a couple of tanks of 87 in my 2010, 998.
    I had to experiment a bit!
    It cost me about two MPG.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

93+ always. Runs quiet, more snap on the throttle. On my third tankful now and I won't put lawnmower gas in it. Got forced into 87 once on my 2010 and paid for it in the end. Not thinking, started it up and pulled it outto the end of my drive to wash. Drove it back into the garage when I was finished. Hopped on the next day to go for some errands, started up on one cylinder. Fouled plug. Never had that problem with good gas.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gonker View Post
    93+ always. Runs quiet, more snap on the throttle. On my third tankful now and I won't put lawnmower gas in it. Got forced into 87 once on my 2010 and paid for it in the end. Not thinking, started it up and pulled it outto the end of my drive to wash. Drove it back into the garage when I was finished. Hopped on the next day to go for some errands, started up on one cylinder. Fouled plug. Never had that problem with good gas.

You may have gotten some bad gas but that's not 87's fault. I ran 87 in my 2010 for 3 years and was getting 36-38 MPG with no ill effects.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Locally, the only place for no ethanol are 2 boat marinas each around 30 miles away (and the pumps are located on the docks).

After just a few fill-ups, went from 87 to 93. Some places I have ridden only go as high as 91.

Locally, 93 is 20¢ more then 87 so usually costs me around 80¢ to a dollar for the difference.

2012 RT-S SM5.
    I usually go to Sunoco in Canal. I put 87 in my lawnmower, never in the Spyder. 93 or 94 if I can find it. Rode to Maine last summer and could not find any station with more than 91. And ended up with a fouled plug on my 2010. I think the second throttle body was crapping out too. Hope the 14 does better..

Spyder Garage

My owner's manual for 2012 RT says 91 for "optimum performance" and 87 "minimum". As others have stated higher octane means less explosive under compression not higher quality. The air fuel mixture needs to burn rapidly but not explode and possibly blow the top of piston out. Modern engines have "knock detection" that delays timing if knock is detected. In the old days if you heard knock in auto engines on acceleration, you knew it was time to retard the timing a little.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE DESIGN

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The recomandation is just that. Outside the US gasolines are different. Our 87 works fine and will not damage anything. For sure the higher the better and as I have said for a buck difference per tank why not go with the best. I use all of them 87-100+ racing fuel..now that is fun...
    ...I'm sorry but....If your ENGINE is not designed to use 89 + OCTANE fuel it is not benefiting from using any higher octane than what it is designed for, and your Spyder is not going FASTER OR SMOOTHER ETC ......................And anyone out there who feels this is false PLEASE provide ACTUAL proof....Non of this seat of the pants nonsense ..............................Because someone who just spent $ 2000 for a 25 HP increase on a 300 HP engine and tells you HE / SHE / IT can feel it is just plain full of ( BLEEP )........JMHO.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-21-2014 at 10:34 PM.