Spyder Garage

Default Brake Master Cylinder Bolt Fell Out

I was out riding Saturday and I was about 22 miles from home. When I went to stop I had no brake pedal. Good thing I had a brake down lane to go into or I would have rear ended the car in front of me. It was a fun ride home with virtually no brakes. If you pay attention, keep safe distances from the car in front of you and do allot of downshifting, you can ride almost forever without ever needing to stop.

When it happened I pulled over and had a Brake Failure Waning flashing - I checked for codes and had C1282. On the way home I had a DPS warning come on and shortly there after it did go into limp mode. When I got home I checked again for fault codes and C1282 and P0504 were present. Even with the key off the brake lights would not go off so I pulled the fuse for them in the frunk fusebox. I did a visual inspection and found that the upper bolt that holds the master cylinder on fell out. When installing the chrome side casting on that side I removed the bolts to the master cylinder to gain some access to slide the casting in. So I'm off to the hardware store to find a M8X30 Scotch Grip bolt. What's a Scotch Grip bolt? Hopefully after reinstalling the master cylinder the codes will clear.

Well, I've been saying it for years that I would jump on this 2010 RTS and drive it anywhere and it will still hold true because this breakdown was self inflicted.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

That must have been scary!

FYI anytime a remove a bolt that is in metal, I put it back with blue Loctite. In critical areas might even use red!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

Glad the outcome was as good as it was. Once you have it all back in functioning order it should clear and be stored. be safe I'm sure it won't happen this way again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post

What's a Scotch Grip bolt?
    That is a type of thread locking compound.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Scotch grip

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That is a type of thread locking compound.
    Use blue loctite.

Spyder Garage

A thought to consider/remember. Learn to use the kill switch. It used to be in some manuals (mine) as a emergency stopping idea for "brake failure"?
    glad everything turned out okay for you.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you found the cause of your problem, even if it was you!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622