Spyder Garage

Default Pants/over pants

New to spyder. Do we really need armored protective pants on top of our jeans?

Spyder Garage

Only when you crash. Until then you don't need it.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

For that matter do you really need jeans? Might as well just ride in shorts. Make it easier for the pavement to do its job. ATGATT!

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personal decision. I don't wear anything like that. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Personal choice......you decide what you want/should wear. At a minimum I wear jeans for a quick run to the store a mile away. Anything more I wear jeans with reinforce Kevlar or one of my riding pants with knee and abrasion protection.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Default Need?

Quote Originally Posted by Souzan Druy View Post
    New to spyder. Do we really need armored protective pants on top of our jeans?
    You only "need" to wear the minimum required by law so not to be arrested for indecent exposure. What else you wear is up to you. For me, I wear boots and long pants. In cooler weather and/or on long rides, I wear chaps... with my pants. Or else I'll get arrested for indecent exposure!

In time, you'll know how much or how little makes you feel comfortable.

Whatever you decide, be careful.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    Only when you crash. Until then you don't need it.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

I learned a saying on here a couple years ago, "dress for the slide, not for the ride!"

Spyder Garage

i always wear denim jeans but if your concerned look into this http://www.dragginjeans.com/
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pants/over pants

I thought one of the most interesting marketing ideas by a local motorcycle dealer helping people answer the question you posed was the following: (This was typically addressed to the crotch rocket crowd). He would take them out to the parking lot and suggest that they run as fast as they could and then dive on their belly. Of course they never did but it put something concrete in their mind about the protection they wanted in case they came off a bike. Though as stated earlier, it is a personal choice.

My wife and I do jeans on short runs virtually always with a jacket and armored pants on long rides. I had an early life experience on a gravel road in MN going down at 60 mph after an excursion over the handlebars dogging a fertilizer truck and discovered the true value of jeans for protection (little to none). However I am much more safety inclined now then when I was an invincible 16.

Also, we have just switched to armored pants as the main pants versus the over pant style with jeans underneath to allow better cooling and reduce the bulk of layers. So far we are happy on the first ride with this approach and the Gortex provides some protection from rain. In our previous gear set up when it started to rain we would have to find a place to put on the water proof liners and when it was over the outer jacket and pants would be wet so we are hoping this new system gives us the best of all worlds.

Personally I think the biggest challenge if you want to wear any protection is finding something that fits, is comfortable and non-intrusive. So if you are of average build it is not too hard, but if you have long or short legs etc. it becomes more of a challenge.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye299 View Post
    For that matter do you really need jeans? Might as well just ride in shorts. Make it easier for the pavement to do its job. ATGATT!
    Ouch !!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    You only "need" to wear the minimum required by law so not to be arrested for indecent exposure. What else you wear is up to you. For me, I wear boots and long pants. In cooler weather and/or on long rides, I wear chaps... with my pants. Or else I'll get arrested for indecent exposure!

In time, you'll know how much or how little makes you feel comfortable.

Whatever you decide, be careful.

The he second part of your answer is helpful -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    I learned a saying on here a couple years ago, "dress for the slide, not for the ride!"
    Truly got it . That is perfect answer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Will_wv View Post
    I thought one of the most interesting marketing ideas by a local motorcycle dealer helping people answer the question you posed was the following: (This was typically addressed to the crotch rocket crowd). He would take them out to the parking lot and suggest that they run as fast as they could and then dive on their belly. Of course they never did but it put something concrete in their mind about the protection they wanted in case they came off a bike. Though as stated earlier, it is a personal choice.

My wife and I do jeans on short runs virtually always with a jacket and armored pants on long rides. I had an early life experience on a gravel road in MN going down at 60 mph after an excursion over the handlebars dogging a fertilizer truck and discovered the true value of jeans for protection (little to none). However I am much more safety inclined now then when I was an invincible 16.

Also, we have just switched to armored pants as the main pants versus the over pant style with jeans underneath to allow better cooling and reduce the bulk of layers. So far we are happy on the first ride with this approach and the Gortex provides some protection from rain. In our previous gear set up when it started to rain we would have to find a place to put on the water proof liners and when it was over the outer jacket and pants would be wet so we are hoping this new system gives us the best of all worlds.

Personally I think the biggest challenge if you want to wear any protection is finding something that fits, is comfortable and non-intrusive. So if you are of average build it is not too hard, but if you have long or short legs etc. it becomes more of a challenge.

Good luck.

truly thankful for your detailed answer, and your patience in discussing all aspects of it, not just "jeans". I'll take all your points into consideration specially the idea of not over but as main pants. Enjoy your rides

Spyder Garage

Like oil, octane, seats, helmets, etc....gear is a very personal choice.

I don't like double and triple layers--unless it cold outside. I have regular jeans, chaps, Kevlar jeans, leather riding pants, and textile riding pants. The "uniform" of the day depends on the "factors" of the day.

Bottom line, I always wear pants when driving my motorcycle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

As my husband likes to teach his students in Motorcycle Safety Class, you don't get to pick the day you crash! ATGATT

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I wear shorts under my completely mesh over pants in the summer. In fall and spring I wear regular riding pants over shorts or leggings/stretch pants depending on how warm it is. You can ask anyone who rides with me in the summer. If we stop for any length of time the over pants come off. I love having the option.

Now if I could just find a good pair of motorcycle boots that didn't look ridiculous with shorts : )
    Y Blue
    -Ruth K, Hoffman Estates IL

Spyder Garage

I commute to work daily and have to get changed a lot of times during the day because of it. I ALWAYS wear protective gear over my normal clothing because you really don't want to experience in real life what happens when you crash wearing jeans. The fibres literally get burned into your skin on a slide, even a small one. Do you really want to risk that?

I'd rather carry spare shoes and wear a short or a skirt under my protective gear. Sure, they might get wrinkled a little but those are part of the deal together with your helmet hair~

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default to Y Blue

Can you tell me where you get complete mesh overpants? I like your idea of wearing those over some shorts. Thanks, Diane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1020webster View Post
    Can you tell me where you get complete mesh overpants? I like your idea of wearing those over some shorts. Thanks, Diane
    All kinds of different brands I have First Gear Mesh jacket and pants for my wife and I and they are very comfy and allow great wind flow. Got them on Ebay for pennies on the dollar during the winter. Might be harder getting that price now but search Mesh Motorcycle pants on Ebay and see what pops.Here is a link and there are some Can Am mesh pants showing for $109.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...omens&_sacat=0

Last edited by Magdave; 04-21-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Roadgear AirTech pants. However I can't recommend them 100% as mine had to have major fixing done to them at the seams. Fortunately my mother-in-law is very good around a sewing machine and they weren't too expensive.

http://roadgear.com/airtec-mesh-pant...out-p-127.html
    Y Blue
    -Ruth K, Hoffman Estates IL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    I commute to work daily and have to get changed a lot of times during the day because of it. I ALWAYS wear protective gear over my normal clothing because you really don't want to experience in real life what happens when you crash wearing jeans. The fibres literally get burned into your skin on a slide, even a small one. Do you really want to risk that?

I'd rather carry spare shoes and wear a short or a skirt under my protective gear. Sure, they might get wrinkled a little but those are part of the deal together with your helmet hair~

I had to quit wearing a skirt, i got cold.

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer