Spyder Garage

Default Need help with getting mods installed at Spyderfest

I had a lot of ambition today. On my 2013 RT-Limited, I planned on moving the GPS from the handlebar to above the dash using The dash mount from JT's Spyder Store, install XenonDepot HIDs for the head lights and XenonDepot HIDs for the fog lights.

Well all I got done was installing the HIDs for the head lights. I worked most of the morning trying to figure out how to move the cable that connects the Garmin Zumo 660 GPS from the handle bar to the dash. I found out that you have to disconnect the cable from the radio, cut all the tie wraps holding the cable to the bike and try and run the cable through a small hole that contains a bunch of other cables in a very cramped space. The problem I had was trying to get the GPS cable through the small hole. I finally gave up and put the GPS back.

In removing tupperware for the ill-fated GPS project, I uncovered enough to remove the head lights and replace the halogen bulbs with HIDs. This went pretty easy except that I did have to reverse the polarity but Phil's mod explained how to do that very well. I think it took longer to put the tupperware back on than it did to install the HIDs. The new HIDs look great and are much brighter than the halogen head lights.

I thought about doing the fog lights HID install, but getting to the fog lights looked like I needed to remove some more tupperware including the frunk? I search the forum for anyone who had installed HIDs in the fog lights for instructions but had no luck.

So I decided to cut my losses and after the headlight HID install I put the tupperware back on. Somehow I ended up with three extra screws. I'm not sure where they go.

So I was wondering if there will be any vendors at Spyderfest who would be able to move the GPS from the handlebars to the dash and install the fog light HID's? Would Lamontster's Garage, Pit Bull or any other vendor be willing to do this? I'd be willing to pay someone for their time and I'd like to help so I can learn more about the innards of my Spyder.

If anyone's interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

I am sure that Pitbull Powersports or Lamonsters Garage can handle this for you with no problems....If not let me know and I can offer my services.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's going to be lots of folks there, who are willing to help out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'd like to see what the factory harness looks like... and I wonder where the radio actually is on the RT? I don't think I've noticed it yet but I bet I've seen it but didn't know.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I'd like to see what the factory harness looks like... and I wonder where the radio actually is on the RT? I don't think I've noticed it yet but I bet I've seen it but didn't know.

JT
    JT,

The factory GPS harness runs from a connector that's located just in front of the right saddle bag. The radio is a little further underneath the seat. The harness runs along the right side of the Spyder, up behind the right head light and through a hole with a lot of other cables. It runs from the hole to the handlebars. The problem is that at the handlebars, the hole in the bars is much smaller than the Garmin 660 connector. The other issue is the hole behind the right head light.

I just had a though this morning about cutting the wire about a foot from the Garmin connector and then easily pull the cable out of the handlebars. I wonder if you could use Positaps to reconnect the cable back up. I just hate having to cut a good cable though.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest