Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Semi-Auto clutch over the earlier years?

Can anyone discuss the 2014 semi auto performance (clutchburn out) as compared to the earlier years? Is there still a great risk ofburning it up if you ride below a certain RPMs?
    I want to trade in my 2012 RT-S Manual and I'm concerned a bit.

Spyder Garage

The new '14 RT uses a hydraulic clutch, the others have a centrifugal clutch. The new one is not subject to the same problems as the old one as it does not use centrifugal forces to keep it engaged . I don't know if it has any weaknesses but they will be different!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

On my '14 RTS, I've found out that I need to let it warm up longer than my '10 RTS. I guess that makes sense, since the '14 needs to build oil pressure for the clutch to work properly, and the '10 only needed RPM's.

Spyder Garage

After 2500 miles on test bike and 8700 miles on my 2014 rt ltd I conclude shifting is much smoother and overall performance much better than either my 2010 or 2012
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Rangeguy405;794636]Can anyone discuss the 2014 semi auto performance (clutchburn out) as compared to the earlier years? Is there still a great risk ofburning it up if you ride below a certain RPMs?
    I want to trade in my 2012 RT-S Manual and I'm concerned a bit.

Apparently there's a problem with slipping clutches on some of the '14s with the SE6 tranny. A service bulletin has been issued and I have an appointment next week to address it. I have NOT noticed any slippage on my RTS.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

This is a totally new system in a new engine so there is not much to go on. Gear ratios are different making for a smother shift less change from one gear to the next. There have been some issue with the clutch as to slipping and noise but we shall see in time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bottom line: no need to worry about toasting your clutch plates with the 2014 system.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Still waiting to get my hands on one. Will give some impressions at 1000 miles or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by s[SIZE=3

[/SIZE]
    Apparently there's a problem with slipping clutches on some of the '14s with the SE6 tranny. A service bulletin has been issued and I have an appointment next week to address it. I have NOT noticed any slippage on my RTS.
    If you have any more info on this bulletin, can you share it with us? I think i've read everything on this forum about the
    14 and don't recall seeing anything about slipping clutches.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody has seen or heard anyting "official" yet...
    Do you have a T.S.B. #?

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys. I don't have a TSB number or details. It's in the shop now and when it's done next week I'll pass along as much info as I can.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE ON CLUTCH SLIPPING TSB

Got my '14 RTS back yesterday after two TSBs were checked out. One was the potential oil leak because of an improper manufacturing problem involving a screw's insertion. The other was to check for clutch slippage on the SE6. Mine was inspected and found to be OK. I got all fresh oil, too. (Not filters). The way it was explained to me, and this is going to be in ultra-simple terms, is there are two pistons involved in the operation of the clutch. In some models the brackets that hold these pistons were installed improperly allowing these pistons to "extend out" too far allowing the clutch to slip. The remedy is to correct the placement of those brackets. Mine had been installed correctly. I didn't get the TSB number. It looks like my dealer, JohnnyK's Powersports in Burbank, OH, took a proactive approach by calling me to have this situation checked out. Perhaps many dealers are waiting to see if their customers report a problem. However, my dealer knew nothing about a CB radio problem as reported on Spyderlovers about a week ago and therefore couldn't do anything, yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a phone number for your dealer handy?
    I'll give them a call, and see if they'll give the T.S.B.# to me...
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Got my '14 RTS back yesterday after two TSBs were checked out. One was the potential oil leak because of an improper manufacturing problem involving a screw's insertion. The other was to check for clutch slippage on the SE6. Mine was inspected and found to be OK. I got all fresh oil, too. (Not filters). The way it was explained to me, and this is going to be in ultra-simple terms, is there are two pistons involved in the operation of the clutch. In some models the brackets that hold these pistons were installed improperly allowing these pistons to "extend out" too far allowing the clutch to slip. The remedy is to correct the placement of those brackets. Mine had been installed correctly. I didn't get the TSB number. It looks like my dealer, JohnnyK's Powersports in Burbank, OH, took a proactive approach by calling me to have this situation checked out. Perhaps many dealers are waiting to see if their customers report a problem. However, my dealer knew nothing about a CB radio problem as reported on Spyderlovers about a week ago and therefore couldn't do anything, yet.
    If yours had the leaky screw it must have been one of the earler ones. Whats the build date on yours? Theres white tags stuck all over the place that show the date. One is under the frunk lid.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    After 2500 miles on test bike and 8700 miles on my 2014 rt ltd I conclude shifting is much smoother and overall performance much better than either my 2010 or 2012

(only 4700 miles)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a phone number for your dealer handy?
    I'll give them a call, and see if they'll give the T.S.B.# to me...
    Thanks!
    Once JohnnyK's number is 330-302-4155. Once the recorded bull starts on the phone, hit 0 and you'll get a human. The service manager's name is Ron.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If yours had the leaky screw it must have been one of the earler ones. Whats the build date on yours? Theres white tags stuck all over the place that show the date. One is under the frunk lid.
    All of those white tags show Jan. 6, 2014. By the way, do you know what the date on the swing arm represents? Mine says Jan. 20, 2014, but because I first saw my Spyder on January 23rd there's no way it could have been readied for shipping, shipped and fully assembled in only three days!