Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question AM I WASTING A LARGE SUM OF CASH???

Well I have to ask.After reading afew threads on this web site,am I wasting my trade in allowance plus cash to buy a $30,000.00 recreational vehicle that when I'm cross country, I have to worry about break downs and crappy dealer support??? I traded in a Goldwing and I've been across this great nation coast to coast several times and never even had a flat tire,never had to add oil,ect.(clean bugs off windsheild and add gas & go/90,000 miles+)Carry a fire extingusher?? I had to give up two wheelers for a while due to knee surgery and my wife convinced me to by a 2014 RT LIMITED so she could feel confident in riding as a passenger just like she was on the WING because she worries about me blowing my knee out at some point or another and does not want to be stranded anywhere and she has always had a soft spot for the SPYDER,soooo I gave in. So tell me folks, am I going to enjoy this new ride or am I going to be visiting my dealer(which is a pretty good one.Bought WING there) more than I normally do?? When I hit the road I do not want to be pulling my tool kit out on the side of the road,save all that action for my garage before riding and taking trips. Thoughts/comments on this is appreciated. Really trying not to WHINE but alittle skepticle at this momment in time.Ride and be safe out there in the jungle.

Spyder Garage

It kind of sounds like you have made up your mind already. For every complaint you hear about 's there about 100 people that like them. I like 's, have had four, over 100,000 miles of experience, and have #5 in transit.

EDIT: Since you purchased a 2014, I do think that you are going to be all right. So far the posts have all been good and favorable for the new 14's. You got the LTD--so you have the best of the best. My in transit, is also a 2014 RTS. Based on past experience and what I am hearing so far, I can't wait for it to get here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-17-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It kind of sounds like you have made up your mind already. For every complaint you hear about 's there about 100 people that like them. I like 's have had four, over 100,000 miles of experience, and have #5 in transit.
    Well the fact is that I've owned 30 jap machines and have had good luck,even with racing dirt bikes back in the day.So just alittle nervous at this point.Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

You seem reluctant due to this site. You have to understand that this is not where you go for positive posts. We have quite a few but if you ask you will be flooded with them. The 2014 is a totally new version of the RT and so far has had less problems than first run Wings. You get out there on anything negatively and you will find fault with it. You will love this machine once you get the hang of it. You both will love and we have members that have crisscrossed this country with no problems..ryde one you'll see...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    We have two Spyders and if there was a good meal to be had at the end of the ride I’d get on either one (2012, 2010) and go.

You have to decide, between the two 50K and NOT ONE HINT OF TROUBLE.
    I'm real good with the maint. part,do alot of my own work(21 yrs of being an Aircraft mech. in the USAF) I just don't like mess'in w/tools on a trip,even when I'm four wheel'n in my jeep.Tools are for the other guy(gal) on the trail!!Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

Default A Very Happy Spyder Owner

I purchased my first Spyder the first week of February 2113. I loved it, and would still have it, but when I tried out the new 2014, I realized that I liked it even more than my 2013. Both were/are RT-Limited's. I rode yesterday, as well as again today with some friends. I love it more (if that is possible) each time that I go for a ride. There are thousands of Spyders out there, and the only complaints are usually posted on this site. If you take that into consideration, I think you will understand that you have nothing to fear. I think you have purchased a very safe and enjoyable touring machine. There are many great dealers out there, and as stated above, you usually hear about the ones that are somewhat lacking in service. People don't take the time to tell about all of the great relationships they have established with their dealer. I will include myself in that group. I recently had my Spyder in for survice, and I received a call from BRP headquarters to see if I was happy with the service that I received and if everything was ok with my Spyder. I told them yes/yes. After I hung up I told my wife, I wish I had told them about our great dealer/service manager/service technician, etc. I failed to do so, but I feel badly because I didn't use the opportunity when I had it.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome fellow Wisconsinite!!!

We bought a 13' RT Ltd. rode it 10,500 miles last year, liked the Spyder so much, we ordered and are soon picking up our 14'. We had a few minor bumps, but our Dealer is great and really took good care of us. We do not for a minute regret buying our 13', and although not yet proven, we are looking forward to piling the miles on the 14' as well. Our new era of forums provide us good info. , but also can cause amplifications to concerns. I don't know of any machine made that did not have a few "bumps" including the Wings. Best of luck, and enjoy the Spyder with no worries!! Maybe we will see you on the road.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I purchased my first Spyder the first week of February 2113. I loved it, and would still have it, but when I tried out the new 2014, I realized that I liked it even more than my 2013. Both were/are RT-Limited's. I rode yesterday, as well as again today with some friends. I love it more (if that is possible) each time that I go for a ride. There are thousands of Spyders out there, and the only complaints are usually posted on this site. If you take that into consideration, I think you will understand that you have nothing to fear. I think you have purchased a very safe and enjoyable touring machine. There are many great dealers out there, and as stated above, you usually hear about the ones that are somewhat lacking in service. People don't take the time to tell about all of the great relationships they have established with their dealer. I will include myself in that group. I recently had my Spyder in for survice, and I received a call from BRP headquarters to see if I was happy with the service that I received and if everything was ok with my Spyder. I told them yes/yes. After I hung up I told my wife, I wish I had told them about our great dealer/service manager/service technician, etc. I failed to do so, but I feel badly because I didn't use the opportunity when I had it.
    Glad you have the weather there to ride,still have salt and snow on ground here. I hope you guys are right,when I test rode a 2011 RT I thought it had a softer ride than my 03 WING. I'm used to riding snowmobiles so adapting to the was not a real issue.So I think all will be good,time will tell.Thanks!!
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 04-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    We bought a 13' RT Ltd. rode it 10,500 miles last year, liked the Spyder so much, we ordered and are soon picking up our 14'. We had a few minor bumps, but our Dealer is great and really took good care of us. We do not for a minute regret buying our 13', and although not yet proven, we are looking forward to piling the miles on the 14' as well. Our new era of forums provide us good info. , but also can cause amplifications to concerns. I don't know of any machine made that did not have a few "bumps" including the Wings. Best of luck, and enjoy the Spyder with no worries!! Maybe we will see you on the road.
    I suppose so,I have seen acouple of WINGS in the service bays at dealerships so I guess anything is possible.I guess I have been real lucky and I hope that luck d/n run out!! Hope to see all of you on the road at some point.Be safe.
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 04-17-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER

MAD MAC, count yourself as one of the lucky ones. You were fortunate enough to have purchased the 2014. BRP knocked it out of the park on this one. I have been fortunate enough to have heard more than my share of nothing but good things about it. Me, I'm still sporting the 2012 RTS-SE5. Loving every mile of it!! Right now, i am sitting on about 12,000 trouble-free miles. Did I say trouble-free? The SPYDER is a joy to ride and it's the safest bike on the road...in my own opinion. My wife loves it, and that's the big reason we purchased the Spyder. Yes, $30K is a lot to spend...but when was the last time you put a price tag on pure enjoyment?? True, on this site, you will read of some of the pitfalls that some of the members have encountered. But if members from the other side of the coin were to post their experiences with their Spyder, their dealers, the trouble-free miles, etc, we might be here all night. If I may suggest, grab your wife, get suited up, hop on the Spyder, and enjoy the miles of smiles that are bound to accompany you...and don't give it a second thought! Ease your fears, for now, by starting out with a few local rides. After that sense of security sets in, hit the hi-ways and by-ways of America!! Hope to see you out there...soon!!!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I will just say as others have, what you read here has to be balanced with what you don't read here. As someone else said, for every bad thing you read here there are 1000's having no issues. Forums tend to have posts about the "bad things" that go on. People come here when they have an issue to get help. Thus it "appears" there are lots of problems with the Spyder.

Trust me when I was first interested in a Spyder and came here...... I FREAKED! But then I read more and more and more and realized you have to understand this place. I also have had this same experience with many many other forums so I also knew what to expect.

I am here with my 2011 and now 6K on it. I am very happy! But I also learned much from here and feel it helped me along the way too as well as what to do should something happen.

I think you will be damn happy with your 14.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 Limited is gonna rock your World!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Well the fact is that I've owned 30 jap machines and have had good luck,even with racing dirt bikes back in the day.So just alittle nervous at this point.Thanks
    Also had experience with at least 4 of every Japanese bike. Total is 35 + or so on them. Never had a problem with ANY of them either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm real good with the maint. part,do alot of my own work(21 yrs of being an Aircraft mech. in the USAF) I just don't like mess'in w/tools on a trip,even when I'm four wheel'n in my jeep.Tools are for the other guy(gal) on the trail!!Thanks for the info.
    Yes your right but I love my spyder an 2012 RTS and I do my own service with my service manual I too was and aircraft maint. F16 crew chief for 29 years. I think you will love it too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have over 90,000 Spyder miles since July 2010, and while I have had a problem or two along the way, I do not hesitate to make a cross country trip. I have even done cross country and other long trips with ladies only. I don't think for sa minute that you have wasted your money.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Red face Welcome aboard

hell I have to ask.After reading afew threads on this web site,am I wasting my trade in allowance plus cash to buy a $30,000.00 recreational vehicle that when I'm cross country, I have to worry about break downs and crappy dealer support??? I traded in a Goldwing and I've been across this great nation coast to coast several times and never even had a flat tire,never had to add oil,ect.(clean bugs off windsheild and add gas & go/90,000 miles+)Carry a fire extingusher?? I had to give up two wheelers for a while due to knee surgery and my wife convinced me to by a 2014 RT LIMITED so she could feel confident in riding as a passenger just like she was on the WING because she worries about me blowing my knee out at some point or another and does not want to be stranded anywhere and she has always had a soft spot for the SPYDER,soooo I gave in. So tell me folks, am I going to enjoy this new ride or am I going to be visiting my dealer(which is a pretty good one.Bought WING there) more than I normally do?? When I hit the road I do not want to be pulling my tool kit out on the side of the road,save all that action for my garage before riding and taking trips. Thoughts/comments on this is appreciated. Really trying not to WHINE but alittle skepticle at this momment in time.Ride and be safe out there in the jungle.

Since you already own it. We'll be waiting to hear if it is all you hoped it would be. At this point. That is all that matters.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

On the whole, I think you'll have more issues than with the Goldwing, but in most cases I don't think they will overwhelm you. Having a new 2014 is a big plus on that front, at least in my view. I had issues with 2010, and although I loved it, I'm happy I traded it in on a 2014. There is a certain amount of luck to the draw in any case, but I think the best perspective would be found by seeing just how many issues show themselves on Goldwing forums - that's a better comparison than your own experience on bike, and the perception of place where people are more likely to post when they have issues than when they don't.

For me, I never felt right about a really long trip on my 2010, but I'd love to do it now if I had the time. I'm planning to go as far I can later this year.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No Negative Spyder Thoughts !

All I can say is that I love my 2010 RT-S SE5 because if the spyder never was invented I would not be riding two wheels. I herniated a disc in my neck and have a lot of nerve damage because of it. I have never had a problem with my spyder. The dealer is what makes or break your spyder ownership experience. I only use OEM recommended oil and octane rated fuel.

So now get out and enjoy your spyder ! Your wife will love you for it !

Spyder Garage

I'm in my second Spyder and only having a TRAILER that needed a grounding harness I don't see why you would be worried. On my 2012 I completed 2 cross country trips and not an issue.

Spyder Garage

Get to Spyderfest in 11 days and you will find over 1000 happy riders from all over the country. I know that Murphybrown is coming from Washington. She has made the trip several times by herself and I think she is 70. I have had 4 spyders and the 2014 RT is the best of the lot. Stop worrying and start riding.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Sooo...you also have a time machine. Neat! Tell me - do 2113 Spyders fly? I was hoping that a hundred years from now that would be possible.

Spyder Garage

Default Your 2014 Spyder RT SE6 Limited is an awesome powerful reliable ryde cross country

2014 filter cap.jpg2014 RT oil filter cap.jpg2014 RT engine oil drain plug.jpg2014 RT oil filter Synthetic oil.jpg2014 RT-S Russell custom seat.jpg
    Well I have to ask.After reading afew threads on this web site,am I wasting my trade in allowance plus cash to buy a $30,000.00 recreational vehicle that when I'm cross country, I have to worry about break downs and crappy dealer support??? I traded in a Goldwing and I've been across this great nation coast to coast several times and never even had a flat tire,never had to add oil,ect.(clean bugs off windsheild and add gas & go/90,000 miles+)Carry a fire extingusher?? I had to give up two wheelers for a while due to knee surgery and my wife convinced me to by a 2014 RT LIMITED so she could feel confident in riding as a passenger just like she was on the WING because she worries about me blowing my knee out at some point or another and does not want to be stranded anywhere and she has always had a soft spot for the SPYDER,soooo I gave in. So tell me folks, am I going to enjoy this new ride or am I going to be visiting my dealer(which is a pretty good one.Bought WING there) more than I normally do?? When I hit the road I do not want to be pulling my tool kit out on the side of the road,save all that action for my garage before riding and taking trips. Thoughts/comments on this is appreciated. Really trying not to WHINE but alittle skepticle at this momment in time.Ride and be safe out there in the jungle.
    Hi,
    You will love the torque of 1330 triple motor,smooth shifting SE6 trans, totally reliable 2014 Spyder RT Limited in any cross country ride.
    I doubt if you will ever need a dealer service while traveling with your wise wife!!
    The stock 2014 RT shock springs are stiffer/heavier dampening & pretty good.
    You can do your own oil/oil filter changes as it is easy to remove right side upper panel, oil filter (like on a 2013 Chrysler minivan), & 2 drain plugs.
    I recommend changing to (5 qts) full Synthetic oil at 3,000 miles.
    I also recommend Lamonster cat-delete bypass exhaust pipe, (get rid of heat/choking cat).
    You can search spyderyderjim blogs about my 2014 RT with 4,000 miles 2 months.
    (I also raced/rode dirt bikes in California desert for 31 years).
    Your 2014 RT-L is like: a 1987 CR500 Honda 2 stoke dirt bike; reliable, powerful, smooth, handled very well!!
    Ryde & enjoy your 2014 RT-L with your wife & no worry about carrying tools!!!
    If your ryding near Tucson, Az, pm me for a ride!
    Enjoy.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

You did good!
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Without reading any further. I have a little over 38 thousand on Spyders, trouble free, slowed down the last couple year due old age, 78. Been over a lot ostates. How ever I ride with a Gold Wing Club and am associate member of GWRRA.
    Wing World magizine has several items on Gold Wing Problems. The 1500's had a habit of "blowing" alternators and many 1500 travelers carried a extra one. Firesomething was a replacement. Gold wings were built in America, Marysville, Ohio until a couple years ago.
    If I was physically able and had the choice of Gold wing or a Spyder for traveling, Spyder all the way.
    As is probably said, past your post, trouble free machines are probably out riding

If you are a GWRRA member, look into their trike course, you can take it on a Spyder and it is a great learning experience.
    Oldmanzes
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I am on my third (2010 RT Premier Edition, 2011 RT Limited, and my new 2014 RT Limited)
    i have had absolutely no trouble with any of them on the road. Early tech left off some of the rubber plugs in the body panels before he realized they were absolutely necessary

Have fun. Best ryde out there for 3 wheels so far!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.