Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default air cleaner install

I just ordered one of jt's air cleaners. I am by no means a mechanic but not a total ditz, is the installation rather straight forward or is it so involved that I should have a professional do it. any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Little help..!!

Can't speak for the RT's which your profile shows you have. The big difference is the removal of the oem air box from th RT's. This is not a problem for the other models. The installation after the box is out is very easy. Hope others with the RT will fill you in...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you take your time and remove the frunk (front trunk) and the side panels then you can lower the right brace to remove the air box, then lower the left brace to remove the resonator. The key is to keep track of what screws go with what panel. It is easier if you have a helper on the left side while you worm the air box out the right side to keep the clips from hanging on anything.

JT

Spyder Garage

JT, I think you need an install video

So you really have to remove the frunk?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    JT, I think you need an install video

So you really have to remove the frunk?

Bob
    Yea, it's pretty easy to remove the frunk, just a few bolts hold it on, disconnect the electrical plugs and the latch cable. It just sits there on a raised lip until you lift it up a little and back away with it. I folded up a moving blanket to sit it on. The frunk is in the way of the screws that hold the lateral braces on.

First I'd need to find someone that still has an air box in and a video man...

JT

Spyder Garage

JT,
    I would be willing to have you help me install the air cleaner and make a video . If you would bring one to spyderfest we could do it then . That is if you are wanting to do it then .
    Proud Owner of a 2017 f3t

Spyder Garage

I got mine in the mail just a while back, and plan to use my gopro to document the process.

Just not too sure when exactly that'll be. I'm still pulling stuff together for everything I plan to do in this maintenance session (air-horn, additional LEDs, oil change, battery replacement, new rear tire...)

Plan is to have it all done before departure for Durango.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

First I'd need to find someone that still has an air box in and a video man...

JT
    I meet both the criteria....hint hint....
    As you know I have done many how too's already so I am offering.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I meet both the criteria....hint hint....
    As you know I have done many how too's already so I am offering.

Bob
    Please do, I'll be happy to link to it on my web site. I'd love to help but your a bit far from Swamp East Missouri...

JT