Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well it was fun while it lasted but i'm moving on!

Put my 13 RTS up for sale this morning. I have had all I can stand with this thing and it just is not worth the stress level from the lack of support on these things. Factory don't care and dealer don't care so it's time to move on. If I want to enjoy riding then I need to get a bike I can enjoy and this is clearly not it. Me and the wife bought this to ride around and enjoy and she will not get on it. I truly feel the bike could be a fun thing to ride but without support to back the product up then your just on your own and for 28k that's just not right. I hope it moves quickly as I priced it for payoff with almost 5k worth of accessories on it! I'm going to take the loss and run!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is a sad day. I cannot figure out why they even produced the 2013 models. Some were OK others were Junk. The lack of support is unacceptable.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm so sorry to hear that...

I really do hope that whatever path you travel; it's filled with joy!
    Please don't leave us... you're family now!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Truly sorry to hear it has come to this.

You have been a valued member of this community. Good luck with the sale and hope you find what you are looking for.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Put my 13 RTS up for sale this morning. I have had all I can stand with this thing and it just is not worth the stress level from the lack of support on these things. Factory don't care and dealer don't care so it's time to move on. If I want to enjoy riding then I need to get a bike I can enjoy and this is clearly not it. Me and the wife bought this to ride around and enjoy and she will not get on it. I truly feel the bike could be a fun thing to ride but without support to back the product up then your just on your own and for 28k that's just not right. I hope it moves quickly as I priced it for payoff with almost 5k worth of accessories on it! I'm going to take the loss and run!!
    Goldwing is coming out with their version of the Spyder. Will be at Spyderfest this year.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sorry to hear that! saw the post on here a day ago that mentioned the dealer going to bat for the owner and a new 2014 coming out at the end. too bad that isn't done for more people that are experiencing these problems. this really isn't right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck. I understand your frustration. I have a '13 RTL. I haven't had heat problems like some, but I feel like a pariah with folks saying, "Spyders are great, well, except for those '13s!" I'm going to hang in there for one more season, but for $30 LARGE BRP sure has quality problems. Ball joints, heim links, heat issues, not to mention that nearly every machine coming out of the factory needs a wheel alignment, and now the latest service bulletin for leaky fuse box and a 'puter update. I realize any vehicle can have an issue, BUT FOUR IN ONE YEAR? Here's hoping...

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Best of luck in your next chapter. You are right, if the frustration level is this high for you, then it is time to move on. There are alternatives out there. None totally without issue,,, but sometimes,,, you just need to change your dance partner. No harm in that, and it worked out well for me. But consider staying on Spyderlovers. Lots of good folks here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Goldwing is coming out with their version of the Spyder. Will be at Spyderfest this year.
    To clarify, Honda Goldwing does not have, nor are they releasing, a factory version of the Spyder. At least not in the near future. There are kits for the Goldwing, but I'm not aware of any planning to be at Spyderfest. But, there may be. Which kit dealer did you think would be at Spyderfest?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i totally understand and i hope you can sell it fast. good luck to you

Spyder Garage

Don't give up. Call Ask Powersports in Columbus and talk with the service manager Ed. I'm sure he can at least get things going. He knows Spyders inside and out. Your Spyder is yours to enjoy, get help somewhere else....

Ron

Spyder Garage

Good Luck with your future ride, whatever it my be.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this, although I must admit that I have had similar thoughts. I am fortunate to have a great dealer here in CT who has worked very hard to help me resolve issues with my 2013 RT Ltd SE5. Their problem is the same as we all have, which is NO SUPPORT FROM BRP. The dealers have as many problems with BRP as we do. It is maddening to have spent 30 large on a machine that is clearly defective, BRP will not support, dealers do not want as trade ins, and will be hard to sell privately without taking a bath on the price we can sell them for. Once BRP has our money, we become invisible to them. This clearly is a company that does't give a rat's a** about their customers. I have written two letters to the CEO of BRP (who by the way has never responded personally to me), and have had many discussions with two different BRP reps who claim that they represent the CEO, and that they are concerned and want to help. When I give them specifics, they instantly become robots and revert to the company line that I have to first address these problems with my dealer, who will then contact BRP, and BRP will then decide what they will or will not do. So, I understand how you feel about having to deal with all this c**p. Wish you well, and hope you get a decent price, and that you find a dependable ride that your wife (like mine) is not afraid to ride. Best of luck to you.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have issues also and I'm going to have my update done and I might remove the CAT. If that doesn't help then I will probably be in the same boat as you and just get rid of it and move on.
    Hope what every you do and the sale of your bike goes your way because I think you deserve a break.

Spyder Garage

Good luck on your next stage in riding What ever you end up with I hope it works well for you and remember you are still SL family and keep in touch.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

Sorry it has come to this for you and your wife. You know you Always welcome here for whatever your needs and wish you the best finding something to keep you out there with us...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to see you go but I can understand. If my 2013 hadn't gone up in flames I might be bailing with you. I was almost at the end if my rope when it burned. Good luck with your next ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Moral delima

Well my wife just brought up a valid point that I need to consider... how do we sell this to somebody else knowing there is an issue with it that could cause a fire?? Could that possibly come back on us since there is a history with these things? I think I need to seek out somebody that would know these things better than me.......

Spyder Garage

Well my wife just brought up a valid point that I need to consider... how do we sell this to somebody else knowing there is an issue with it that could cause a fire?? Could that possibly come back on us since there is a history with these things? I think I need to seek out somebody that would know these things better than me.......

Anything can have a fire at any time under the right conditions. You have no knowledge with any specificity of a direct reason to expect a fire. So, Caveat Emptor.

If I were in your shoes, I'd remove any added accessories on the Spyder and sell those separately. Then, I'd take the hit on a trade in. Maybe selling some of the accessories would make it easier to take the $$$ hit at trade time.

To me, even tho it may be a financial hit, this is the quickest path to having an enjoyable summer. Life is too darn short to worry any more than you already have. I'm sure that a weight has been lifted now that you have made the decision. So, I'd say "Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead". And enjoy the summer of 2014!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Take it to your dealer (any dealer) for a pre-sale inspection. Pay for it and get the inspection in writing. After all they are the "Trained Professionals", and they know best!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Moral or legal implications

Choose your marketing language wisely.

Call it a 'Fire Sale'.

As in priced to move.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing Spyders

In the May 2014 issue of Goldwing Road Riders on page 42 Gene's Gallery shows what they have called the R18 Reversed Trike and yes, they will be at Spyderffst. They look nice, but space could be an issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My thoughts exactly...

Yes...my only problem with those dumping/selling their '13's for another ryde is that the owner's former problem will be a new owner's current problem. I have seen several Spyders sold due to problems big enough to dissuade the owner from keeping it any longer...but have a hard time believing full disclosure is happening at the time of sale (assuming it is not traded in at a dealer or similar). Who in their right mind would buy a problematic machine with known issues...even if it is at a slightly reduced rate. I have seen ST-L's as cheap as $19K brand new...yet have not seen a used one for sale that cheap. Most are looking for payoff on the remaining balance of the bike they paid $24K or more for. Personally, I could not in good conscience sell a known "bad bike" to a private party knowing the issues I had dealt with. I would think that if it were traded in, a dealership would/could "fix" and resell the Spyder...but then again, if it were able to be fixed, how come it hasn't been thus far (rhetorical question)?. Our '13 ST-L is hot...but not enough for us to dump it. I have a GREAT dealership and BRP support that helped overcome the majority of the heat related issues. Heat is still present, so I will be watching how the new side vents for the '14 ST work out this Summer. If they are proven, I will be purchasing some for my gal's ryde. I am lucky that the purchase of my '08 GS was from a reputable person who told me upfront about any issues he had as an owner. I also had 2 local dealers run the vin for a history on the vehicle. I could've just as easily bought a bike that had severe known issues that weren't disclosed. I do believe in "buyer beware"...but the thought of someone selling an item that they no longer want due to mechanical issues scares me. I applaud you for considering the ramifications of selling your "problem Spyder" to a prospective new owner.

All of the information contained in this post is just my opinion. No more, no less
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 04-17-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Honda is doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Are you sure? I know things change and often very quickly, but their chairman said "never".

Spyder Garage

Sad to see that issues have caused you to part with the . If I were in your shoes, I would most likely be doing the same thing.

A difficult situation when you are trying to sell of a machine with known issues. As a potential purchaser, I would shy away from that kind of deal--even with a deep discount. Then again, there are those out there, that would also jump on the deal--if the price is right.

One piece of advice I have offered many times to potential buyers is to check with a dealer and get the history of the machine, and to look at SL to see what previous owners have said about their

If you are going to deep discount, I also recommend selling off the accessories, and post the bike on SL. You may get results on such a sale.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red