Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Russel Day Long Saddle

Who has a Russel Day Long Saddle, what's your opinion, any photos????
    Hang on!

Spyder Garage

I don't have one, yet, when I called them they said I'd have to send my seat out to them to build on. I told 'em it would have to be this winter, cause I didn't want to miss ryding weather, and they said if there was a group that could send together, they could work a discount. Haven't had a chance to get back with them, but their website has their phone number, call 'em and check it out. Maybe a bunch of us can get a deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I don't have one, yet, when I called them they said I'd have to send my seat out to them to build on. I told 'em it would have to be this winter, cause I didn't want to miss ryding weather, and they said if there was a group that could send together, they could work a discount. Haven't had a chance to get back with them, but their website has their phone number, call 'em and check it out. Maybe a bunch of us can get a deal.
    I was just on their web site and I may be interested in adding to your group. I have to do some further investigation though before I make any decisions. There are a lot of good choices on their site and some good info. http://www.day-long.com/ I also want to check out some local places and see what they have to offer. I will keep you posted.
    Deb
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

You can probably count me in too. I am going to look at the Corbin seats at Gatlinburg but if I can get a seat custom designed for my butt, for the same or even less than the Corbin price, I am all for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    You can probably count me in too. I am going to look at the Corbin seats at Gatlinburg but if I can get a seat custom designed for my butt, for the same or even less than the Corbin price, I am all for it.
    FWIW... Russell/Day Long has an excellent reputation. I've heard of, and known, lots of riders on sport-tourers and tourers... and NOT ONE has ever said a bad thing about it.

The ONLY reason I don't have one is the seat pan issue... sending it off and being "Spyderless" for a period of time. If you can find a used stock seat, latch on to it ... then sell your stock seat after... if you want to.

Last edited by ataDude; 08-28-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

If I go this route, I'll send my seatpan in with retread this winter for the group rate.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info. Everything I am seeing says Corbin, Rick Mayer, Bill Bayer, or Day-Long are the way to go.

Corbin does not do custom and from what I can gather both Mayers used to work for/with Day-Long as their father was part of this business at one point.

I like the group discount idea and doing it in the winter since we will likely be without the seat for 6 weeks or so.

How are we going to organize this group buy thing?
    Hang on!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave18629 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Everything I am seeing says Corbin, Rick Mayer, Bill Bayer, or Day-Long are the way to go.

Corbin does not do custom and from what I can gather both Mayers used to work for/with Day-Long as their father was part of this business at one point.

I like the group discount idea and doing it in the winter since we will likely be without the seat for 6 weeks or so.

How are we going to organize this group buy thing?
    It looks like we have 4 of us already that are interested in the custom Russell Day Long seat http://www.day-long.com/ I am thinking about January for a good time to send the seat in for us here in Michigan. Jan. and Feb are usually our worst months of winter and if we were not going to ride, that would be the time of year. I want to ride as much as possible though. bjt and I are in Michigan and it looks like retread is in IN. I am willing to call Russell Day Long and see how many constitutes a group and what the discount would be and how we can ship them. Do they all have to be shipped together or can we each pay for our own shipping from our area. I will let everyone know and we will try to keep this thing going and see how many others may be interested.

Spyder Garage

Default Russell Day Long Seat Group Info

I just got off the phone with Heather from Russell Day Long seats. This is how the group discount works. All seat orders that come in from Oct. 1-Dec 5 count towards the group discount. This is regardless of where the order comes from or what type of bike it is. If they get at least 50 seats ordered then everyone gets 20% off on their seat order. She said last year they had over 150 seats ordered. All you have to do to put in an order is to go on line to their site http://www.day-long.com/ and place your order. No money exchanges hands until your seat comes up for production. She did not say how many orders they have already but production is already slated for Oct. 9th. So if you know anyone that wants a new seat, have them check out the Russell Day and get their orders in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Russell DayLong

I already have a Russell DayLong on my Spyder, V-Strom 1000, BMW K12LT, etc. Since I live in SoCal I have always enjoyed the ride up north of Redding for a custom "Ride-In" installation. In my opinion, Russell might be the only seat out there where your brain tells you when it is time to stop for the day, rather than your butt. I like the breathability of the velour covering and I have one backrest that I exchange between the bikes, depending upon which one I am riding. Happy riding!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billclemen View Post
    I already have a Russell DayLong on my Spyder, V-Strom 1000, BMW K12LT, etc. Since I live in SoCal I have always enjoyed the ride up north of Redding for a custom "Ride-In" installation. In my opinion, Russell might be the only seat out there where your brain tells you when it is time to stop for the day, rather than your butt. I like the breathability of the velour covering and I have one backrest that I exchange between the bikes, depending upon which one I am riding. Happy riding!
    Nice to hear from you Bill. I really like the looks of your seat and the cooling factor of the velour. I am looking at getting one very similar to yours.

Spyder Garage

Bill thanks for jumping in as you have first hand experience with the seat on the Spyder.I am assuming that all seat functions still work the same?
    Hang on!

Spyder Garage

Very Interested. But Questions.
    1. It says orders from Oct 1 thru Dec 5... Does that mean I can order on-line anytime between then and help us get the discount? What's the statement " production already scheduled for Oct 9th.." mean?
    2. When you say the seat pan, does that mean the part that flips up, with or without the vinyl cover/padding removed?
    3. Does the seat fit such that those, (me) with the original BRP backrest and luggage rack can just re-attach the new seat and use it still?

I have tried the beads, trying the gel cushion on my ride to BBB rally in Fayetteville, AR this 24th - 28th, and have a hunch that a new custom seat will still be what we need... So won't order till after that.
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captainryder View Post
    Very Interested. But Questions.
    1. It says orders from Oct 1 thru Dec 5... Does that mean I can order on-line anytime between then and help us get the discount? What's the statement " production already scheduled for Oct 9th.." mean?
    2. When you say the seat pan, does that mean the part that flips up, with or without the vinyl cover/padding removed?
    3. Does the seat fit such that those, (me) with the original BRP backrest and luggage rack can just re-attach the new seat and use it still?

I have tried the beads, trying the gel cushion on my ride to BBB rally in Fayetteville, AR this 24th - 28th, and have a hunch that a new custom seat will still be what we need... So won't order till after that.
    I will be calling them back to get these very answers. I too am wondering more about the order date. I will try to ask the other questions you address here as well and post tomorrow if I am able.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I will be calling them back to get these very answers. I too am wondering more about the order date. I will try to ask the other questions you address here as well and post tomorrow if I am able.
    i'll be placing my order as soon as you get answers to these questions. my concern is fit with brp backrest and givi side bags. thanks for doing the legwork!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
    i'll be placing my order as soon as you get answers to these questions. my concern is fit with brp backrest and givi side bags. thanks for doing the legwork!
    Okay, I have some answers:
    You can order now if you would like and in the box for production date put down "Group Buy 2009" (yes that says 2009) There are already 10 seats on order so only 40 more and everyone gets the 20% off. Last year they did 150 seats. They will assign production dates according to the order the order came in by. Right now they are booked up through Oct. 14th. So if you actually wait until Oct. 1st to place your order it will probably be in Dec. for your production date. Also, when you place your order you can specify if you want it for later. I prefer my seat to be made in late Nov. or early Dec. so I will order now but make that my request. I hope all this makes sense.

Second, you take the whole seat off as is, with vinyl and padding and everything and send it to them. You will get an order date from them by email when the group production is starting and you are to send your seat a couple of days in advance of the production date.

Third, I was told it should not be a problem with the current BRP backrest and rack.

I hope that answers everyone's questions. Now I have to study my seat preferences and make sure I put my order in for exactly as I want it.

Spyder Garage

Hey, Deb, thanks for doing all this, my organizational skills would never have accomplished anything.

john

Spyder Garage

Well, I did it!! I placed my order. I am getting the leather inserts with the small diamond pattern. I can't wait. I asked for a late Oct. date and put in the form Group Order 2009. Keep the orders coming guys, I want my 20% discount, that will save me over $100 on the seat. I also ordered a rain cover.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I did it!! I placed my order. I am getting the leather inserts with the small diamond pattern. I can't wait. I asked for a late Oct. date and put in the form Group Order 2009. Keep the orders coming guys, I want my 20% discount, that will save me over $100 on the seat. I also ordered a rain cover.
    Thanks for doing all the leg work. I placed my order today and instead of waiting until winter to do the seat swap I bought a used seat online from a member who purchased a corbin and sent that spare seat to Russell for the mod.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
    Thanks for doing all the leg work. I placed my order today and instead of waiting until winter to do the seat swap I bought a used seat online from a member who purchased a corbin and sent that spare seat to Russell for the mod.
    We are doing the same thing. We are buying a used seat and sending that one in, when one seat comes back we'll send one of the ones off of one of our bikes and send that one in. That way we are never spyderless. One of us will just get their seat before the other, that is all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone have a Rick Mayer Saddle?????? They are a Couple of Hours away from me.....I can do a Ride in and have them build one....Problem is...they dont do Back Rests.....But say if I supply it...They will Build around it...The other Problem is.....Im 2 hrs from Corbin too...

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/photogallery.html

Spyder Garage

dltang, Are these seats custom,I would like my saddle back farther like 4" would this be a possibility in the group? And a big Thanks to you for all your work on this thread I've been watching it, only ? I have is can the seat be custom?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jedd View Post
    dltang, Are these seats custom,I would like my saddle back farther like 4" would this be a possibility in the group? And a big Thanks to you for all your work on this thread I've been watching it, only ? I have is can the seat be custom?
    Yes these seats are custom. When you fill out the order form, you attach a couple of pictures and make notes of what you want your riding position to be. If you want 4" back, they make it 4" back. 2" taller? They can do that too. Go to their site and read the order form and their requirements. Look at some of their sample saddles. Heck, give them a call and ask any questions you might have. You should be able to get a good idea of what they can do for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Yes these seats are custom. When you fill out the order form, you attach a couple of pictures and make notes of what you want your riding position to be. If you want 4" back, they make it 4" back. 2" taller? They can do that too. Go to their site and read the order form and their requirements. Look at some of their sample saddles. Heck, give them a call and ask any questions you might have. You should be able to get a good idea of what they can do for you.
    bjt beat me to the punch, but YES they are custom and that is the beauty to them. For the price with the group discount, you can't beat it. IMHO

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

We are doing the same thing. We are buying a used seat and sending that one in,.
    any hints as to the location or locations of a used seat pan for the spyder??

thank you