Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone have the new backrest & top case?

Does anyone have the new one piece backrest part #219400350 and top case part number 219400476? If so, do you have any photos of the bike from the side and rear with them installed? Does the plate that the topcase secures to remove easily?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered the backrest for my RS.
    Cannot justify $500 for the case.... Will go aftermarket generic bag.
    I went with this 1pc backrest as it is supposed to be larger than the original that adapts to the rack.... Should get it next week and will put up a photo...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgerist View Post
    Just ordered the backrest for my RS.
    Cannot justify $500 for the case.... Will go aftermarket generic bag.
    I went with this 1pc backrest as it is supposed to be larger than the original that adapts to the rack.... Should get it next week and will put up a photo...
    I bought the back rest also. It looks nice and is pretty large. If i get another long trip planned, I'll definitely get the topcase. Just need that extra bit of storage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New single piece backrest installed

Attached are two pictures of the new single piece BRP backrest installed on my 2013 RS. This is a remarkably good quality assembly, however the installation procedure was a little less than ideal.

Construction: The kit came with all hardware needed, including an installation tool for the post to base connection. The high cost of the backrest kit is at least partially justified by the superior quality, finish and overall look. The base plate mounts inside the aft frame and extends back almost to the end of the brake light halves. It is a very substantial cast steel piece, to which the seat assy mounts. The seat post is also cast steel and incredibly solid, anchoring to the base with a hex bolt, and reacting torque back into the base plate by way of two aft facing tabs (so the bolt is not stressed in bending). The seat itself is firm and provides support up through the mid back, with lateral support that really grabs and secures. There is a plastic cover that installs over the base, retaining the original aft deck look while providing access holes for the seat. This cover is two piece, with a slip on section that can be installed when the rest is not being used for a stock look. The seat takes all of 30 seconds to attach to the base.

Installation: The instructions are sufficient, but barely. Some notes: Both aft brake light assemblies must be removed. In order to slide the base into the back of the frame required some wiggle and force as the fit is tight. There is a deformed rivet head on the LHS that the base must clear by going over (very close fit) and I learned that on the RHS a bolt had to be backed out to allow for it to fully install. This is the aft mount bolt for the white plastic block that supports hydraulic hoses. Once the seat base is installed it can be retorqued, as there is clearance in the seat base. The biggest issue I had is that the aft bolts that support the brake light halves cannot be reinstalled once the seat base is in! Since the forward bolts retain it as do the surrounding pieces of plastic, and because it is a no-load part I gave up on trying to get them in. If they crack due to vibration in 5 years I'll worry about it then!

Use: My wife was ill at ease riding without a support. We knew we'd need one, and this suits the task remarkably well. After a 1 hour trip including the ton on the highway, some back road curves and aggressive starts through the first 3 gears, she was delighted and had felt secure during the entire ride. It makes all the difference for the passenger and I feel I could trust my life to this support. Also, I think it adds rather than detracts from the look of the Spyder, and plan to keep it when running solo.

Recommendation: If you have a regular passenger, buy it (if you can get it on discount), plan to spend a couple hours coaxing it in, and enjoy!

- Bodgerist
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgerist View Post
    Attached are two pictures of the new single piece BRP backrest installed on my 2013 RS. This is a remarkably good quality assembly, however the installation procedure was a little less than ideal.

Construction: The kit came with all hardware needed, including an installation tool for the post to base connection. The high cost of the backrest kit is at least partially justified by the superior quality, finish and overall look. The base plate mounts inside the aft frame and extends back almost to the end of the brake light halves. It is a very substantial cast steel piece, to which the seat assy mounts. The seat post is also cast steel and incredibly solid, anchoring to the base with a hex bolt, and reacting torque back into the base plate by way of two aft facing tabs (so the bolt is not stressed in bending). The seat itself is firm and provides support up through the mid back, with lateral support that really grabs and secures. There is a plastic cover that installs over the base, retaining the original aft deck look while providing access holes for the seat. This cover is two piece, with a slip on section that can be installed when the rest is not being used for a stock look. The seat takes all of 30 seconds to attach to the base.

Installation: The instructions are sufficient, but barely. Some notes: Both aft brake light assemblies must be removed. In order to slide the base into the back of the frame required some wiggle and force as the fit is tight. There is a deformed rivet head on the LHS that the base must clear by going over (very close fit) and I learned that on the RHS a bolt had to be backed out to allow for it to fully install. This is the aft mount bolt for the white plastic block that supports hydraulic hoses. Once the seat base is installed it can be retorqued, as there is clearance in the seat base. The biggest issue I had is that the aft bolts that support the brake light halves cannot be reinstalled once the seat base is in! Since the forward bolts retain it as do the surrounding pieces of plastic, and because it is a no-load part I gave up on trying to get them in. If they crack due to vibration in 5 years I'll worry about it then!

Use: My wife was ill at ease riding without a support. We knew we'd need one, and this suits the task remarkably well. After a 1 hour trip including the ton on the highway, some back road curves and aggressive starts through the first 3 gears, she was delighted and had felt secure during the entire ride. It makes all the difference for the passenger and I feel I could trust my life to this support. Also, I think it adds rather than detracts from the look of the Spyder, and plan to keep it when running solo.

Recommendation: If you have a regular passenger, buy it (if you can get it on discount), plan to spend a couple hours coaxing it in, and enjoy!

- Bodgerist
    I fought like hell trying to get the cast piece in and knew I couldn't take the taillight bolts out because the seat base would prevent me from re-installing them. I messed with it a while and then it just somehow slipped right into place.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks great, good job.

Yes, these back rests seem to add a little to the overall look of the bike.
    Having her feel safe and riding more relaxed is also more comfortable & is only a major plus...

I ride mostly alone, and have considered one, just for the awesome looks it adds but would strongly consider one also, if I had regular passengers aboard more often.
    Still trying to justify a trunk liner and 12 volt power outlet kit, mainly for charging digital device batteries. I will decide after having the 1000km break in period oil and filter change next week.

Thanks for posting the review of install with your pics. Very helpful.

Chas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

I believe the new style as well as the previous one work. The older is smaller but adjustable and no trunk. The newer is larger with trunk option but not adjustable. I don't overnight that much so I just added a rack and soft bag from kuryakyn...
    20121221_140526.jpg 20121221_140611.jpg 20121221_081334.jpg a lot less than the trunk but not as permanent...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So looking at both for those that have had both which one do you like the best? I'm looking to get on in the future but still unsure of the one I want the old style to the new. I like the look of the new just because the back of the bike looks about the same when it's removed..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    So looking at both for those that have had both which one do you like the best? I'm looking to get on in the future but still unsure of the one I want the old style to the new. I like the look of the new just because the back of the bike looks about the same when it's removed..
    I like the new style because the adjustment was nearly worthless on the old one as we always had it slid all the way back anyway. I was teaching my GF how to ride the spyder the other day so I rode bitch for approximately 30 miles and was very pleased with the comfort of the fixed backrest. The little cover panel that they provide with the kit is nice and factory appearing. I never cared much for the look of my bike with the sport rack plate installed. I will be buying the topcase sometime next year for whatever backbacking trip we choose to go on. It looks very nice, is waterproof, locking and easily removable.