Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does anybody know where that NHTSA web address is?
    I'm trying to find it; and I've run out of success...
    I don't know why but I found this post of yours very, very funny. Do you not use Google?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default thank you for the education, I really needed that information.

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I believe this was covered extensively in a previous thread. Remembering my firefighter training and physics class, and for refresher, gasoline has a flash point of -45F. Flashpoint is defined as a temperature above which the liquid produces vapors which can ignite or explode. This may happen without a spark or flame. Ignition temperature also applies to a hot surface (exhaust pipe) that will cause vapors to ignite.

Now, bearing in mine that gasoline has a vapor density heavier than air, it will sink and spread out. Vapors are what ignite when gasoline is poured out, such as putting gas on a pile of wood (dumb to start with). That is what causes the "whoosh" sound, the flame front traveling through the vapors. In training, we would drop a match in a container of gasoline and the match would go out without causing a fire.

Gasoline heated to the boiling point of between 100F-400F the vapors can be somewhat lighter. If the fuel tank is heated (we know what that is), it becomes pressurized. When the cap is removed, the pressurized vapors are forced out and up. Ignited, this is the "jet" effect you see.

Since there was an issue with brake cylinders I'll mention that most brake fluids have a flashpoint of 275F. So you can see that brake fluid on a hot exhaust pipe can ignite.
    I know for sure it can happen just that easy.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up You are a freaking genius !

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Lol, yep. I meant it as a joke. Though at times it seems to fit. I added an Attwood 3" blower when I changed out the airbox. The blower is thermostatically controlled with a switch I added. Helps keep it cooler under the Tupperware. The sticker came with the blower. First thing that popped into my mind when I saw it is " I wonder if they somehow know I am installing this in a Spyder".
    Share with the world where you installed a boat blower on your spyder. This is a great idea because it could move a lot of heat and not use a lot of amps to do it. Impressive, dude and way to go thinking out of the box. This is a three bow suggestion.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

do you have a link to the face book page

Spyder Garage

Wait a bloody minute!
    I recently bought my first Spyder, a 2011 RS-S, and now I find out it could catch fire??
    Maybe I should unload it and go back to a motorcycle?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Wait a bloody minute!
    I recently bought my first Spyder, a 2011 RS-S, and now I find out it could catch fire??
    Maybe I should unload it and go back to a motorcycle?
    Anything can happen to anyone. The odds are in your favor that your will not self combust.

I am not worried about either of the RT's I currently own and was not afraid on the other three 's owned. I have had experience with 5 different years, that is all of them except for 2012 and 2013. The experience covers over 100,000 miles of riding the brand.

If I thought the was prone to burning up, I would have divested long ago.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Odds Improving!

Looks like the odds of us spyder owners having a barbeque occur under us are improving with every fire report. Hope NTSA takes some action soon, before someone is killed. These incidents are beyond anecdotal supposition now.