Thread: Tire idea

Spyder Garage

Default Tire idea

I think we should start a thread of the tires that will fit the Spyder just put make and size of the tire just list the tires once if you see someone already listed that tire do not repeat just list tire. And put year and model.of the spyder 0then we don't have to read all the posting all the time maybe a thumbes up or down and make it easy to find. Just a thought. Thanks79th
    Last edited by Longtimer; 11-07-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Left out year nd make of spyder

Spyder Garage

What is the fun in that?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think a tire sticky thread is a good idea. May not be as fun but I get tired of trying to parse the various threads for what to put on my F3 when the time comes.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I hate to put a dampener on what is otherwise a pretty good idea, but the reality is there's not really too much to think about or post....

If you choose any auto tire that has load & speed ratings that meet or exceed those of the OE Spec Kendas & that fits the rims/under the fenders, then you can pretty much always go up just one profile size (ie, 225/50 to 225/55) and sometimes even two (ie 225/60) without changing the tire width; and you can also go down a tire size or two if you match that with going up a profile size for each tire width variation (ie go from 225/50 or 225/55 to 215/60 or 205/65) Same thing basically applies up front - you are simply aiming to keep the 'revs per mile', circumference, or rolling diameter within about 10% of OE spec & to try and match any increase &/or decrease front to rear.

And that's pretty much it in a nutshell - sure, there are a few minor outlier tires because their manufacturers chose a different nominal sizing method, but the big thing to realise is that ANY reasonable/good quality auto tire in a size you can find that fits on the rim/under the fenders is going to be better the the OE Spec Kendas, and it REALLY isn't hard to find an alternative tire size that fits! So don't over-think it or make it too hard on yourself; you've got the base numbers to start from - 225/50R15 for the rear; 165/55R15 up front, simply start from there & go up or down in width &/or profile size until you find something that's readily available; that suits your wants/needs in terms of traction, longevity, ride etc; and that fits the rims/under the fenders. If the sidewall says anything between 205 & 225 within those profile ranges, it'll probably fit the rear; if it says 165 or 175 & its profile is 50-65 then it probably fits up front.... and it's virtually impossible to pick a tire that's actually any WORSE than the OE Spec Kendas. :shock:
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!