Thread: Tire Life

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Life

How many miles are you guys getting on your tires? Any noticeable difference on the rear pulling a trailer?

thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default What I know..!!

Have 18,000 on mine rear is getting thin but has life left. The fronts look new. You will get a wide range but I still wonder if it has to do with where you measure the tire. They have a specific wear mark. I ryde an RS sm5 2012 mostly backroads hills and lots of turns. Wife ryds with me most the time as well. I am aggresive when not in a group. Others will chime in and there is massive amount of tire info in past threads here. Search tires and you will see...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed all mine at 14K. The fronts needed it due to uneven wear. I could have put several more miles on the back but I got a worthwhile deal to do them all together.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It entirely depends on where and how you ryde. 95% of my mileage is aggressive ryding on Ozark Mountain twisties. I've got 3000 miles on my back tyre and the dealer said it was 75% gone. So, mine will only last about 4000 miles. My next back tire is a Kumho.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Can't generalize about tire wear.

I have a '12 RT and replaced the rear at 12,000. About half of that life I pulled a 622 trailer with it. It now has 19,000 and it appears I will get about the same life out of the second tire.

My wife also has a '12 RT and we replaced her rear at 9,000. She also pulls a trailer but I have no explanation for the lesser life span on hers.

I replaced my fronts at 12,000 because I made a mistake and tried to rotate them. Since they are directional and have to be dismounted and remounted we could never get them to track right after this. After trying to eliminate the shake I finally just replaced them.

My wife left her fronts alone and now at 17,000 miles they look like brand new.

Always a good idea to replace the brake pads on the rear while doing the tire replacement since most of the cost on brakes is labor.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Good input, similar to what you might find if you asked us Gold Wingers what we get which is dependent on the tire brand. I like the softer rubber Bridgestone and get maybe 9K riding aggressively and pulling a trailer. Others like to maximize their tire life and use a harder Dunflop tire and can get 20K. On two wheels I like a sticky soft tire that sticks to the road in all weather conditions and lean angles.

Adding a Can-Am this week so this is all new to me, lots to learn, again thanks for the input!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also pull a trailer ST-S 13 and I might make 10000 maybe not on the rear.... fronts look new..

Spyder Garage

Default Tire wear

My 2012 RT LTD has 10,800 on it and I need a rear tire replacement. Fronts are good.
    Want to put a Kuhmo Ecsta on it but no dealers around here will touch it.
    Looks like I'll be doing another replacement in a year and a half.
    Bummer.....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rear tire was toast on my wife's RT at 8,700. Could have run it a bit longer but wouldn't make it past state inspection. She does not pull a trailer, she rides mostly solo. I have just mounted a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy car tire and she reports no difference in handling. The speedo is also only about 1 mph off from the GPS now.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have used OEM tires for all replacements.

Rear tire: I have got 13K to 15K on each of the 4 tires I have replaced.

Front tires: I have got 20K to 23K on each of the 3 sets I have replaced.

This data is for 2008 - 2011 's. The new tire profile for 2013-2014 seems to be different, with some people mentioning 8K or so for rear tires. I do not recall seeing any information about front tire replacement yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red