Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm too confused head to take all of this in at the moment, but it sounds good.

I''ll have to try this maybe tomorrow....really.

What size are all these hoses? 3/8" fuel line?

Have you wrapped yourself w/ a protective cover yet?????

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Gas fumes from boiling gas tank and increase mpg

You can play with the canister all you want it will not stop the gas fumes. They are coming from your gas tank boiling from the 2 manifold pipes. I no longer have gas fumes now even when it gets to around 110-120 out here in the high desert.

I left the cat alone and yes it does put out heat but not to the gas tank. It was the 2 manifold pipes that was heating up the gas tank and creating all the gas fumes. When I wrapped the manifold pipes it cooled it down so much that I didn't have a boiling gas tank or hot glove box. then I took out the factory air box and replaced it with Air Filter Kit Performance Can-Am Spyder RS and RT,
    http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index....f71b20b3a27625 I get 25% more air and a deep throat sound plus more mpg as well as more power. What a world of a difference and I can now see the top of the engine as well as getting to the front spark plug easy. That in proved my power and mpg. You can replace your cat that looks like that cat but a strait flow instead. RT Cat-Bypass is now available at www.spyder1attitude.com. RJ

Spyder Garage

I've wrapped my pipes and still get the gas boil.

Spyder Garage

AZCowboy: I believe you are right that wrapping the pipes will lower the temps under the tupperware. I am worried about what that will do to the longevity of the pipes.

Snoopy: The lines are 1/4 inch or 4.6mm running from the tank to the canister and then to the purge valve. The overflow is larger. I think it was 3/8 inch.

By the way I buy my hose clamps at the Home Despot in the plumbing section. I think they are better quality and less expensive than the clamps at the car parts stores.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    AZCowboy: I believe you are right that wrapping the pipes will lower the temps under the tupperware. I am worried about what that will do to the longevity of the pipes.

Snoopy: The lines are 1/4 inch or 4.6mm running from the tank to the canister and then to the purge valve. The overflow is larger. I think it was 3/8 inch.

By the way I buy my hose clamps at the Home Despot in the plumbing section. I think they are better quality and less expensive than the clamps at the car parts stores.

Thank you, it is raining today so I may get a chance to look at mine a bit today.

I like the thought of moving it also because that side of the engine compartment is pretty tight w/ stuff and probably contributes to the concentrated heat.

I agree on the Home Depot clamps, they are all stainless, unlike auto parts stores Chinese clamps. And much cheaper than going to a marine store to buy.

Spyder Garage

Turning it sideways may not be a good idea. It is meant to stand the way it does for a reason. You may end up with more liquid dripping but good luck on the idea. Maybe it will help
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Turning it sideways may not be a good idea. It is meant to stand the way it does for a reason. You may end up with more liquid dripping but good luck on the idea. Maybe it will help
    Perhaps but then maybe I can become the Ghost Rider and you will have NO chance!

Spyder Garage

Perhaps but then maybe I can become the Ghost Rider and you will have NO chance!
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

Why might it not work? Because the charcoal wont stay at the bottom?

Being that only fumes go to the box (in theory), it shouldn't matter how its orientated ....unless it's a charcoal problem.

I'm wondering if/when I ad my JT air filter, if there will then be enough room to move it somewhere further from any exhaust part.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Why might it not work? Because the charcoal wont stay at the bottom?

Being that only fumes go to the box (in theory), it shouldn't matter how its orientated ....unless it's a charcoal problem.

I'm wondering if/when I ad my JT air filter, if there will then be enough room to move it somewhere further from any exhaust part.
    Condensation may be an issue and it will just pour out the vent. The charcoal too is meant to sit on the foam not near the top. Just a guess but every canister I ever saw was sitting vertically not horizontally. I could be wrong but think not.

Spyder Garage

Good points.

Sounding more and more like it's just best to get rid of the thing. Lol

Spyder Garage

Do all years of Spyders have this canister?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 14' canister looks like its installed pretty horizontal to me.....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The 14' canister looks like its installed pretty horizontal to me.....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Another good point.

And I just checked part numbers and my 2013 STS is the same number as 2014 Rt's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is... and it is!

Spyder Garage

Filled up, drove 110 miles. Only 90 degrees or so today. Put it in the garage. I can smell a little gas but I am not afraid of the house blowing up.
    I am thinking about removing the resonator to increase airflow on the left side. The right panel is noticeably cooler than the left.

Spyder Garage

So you're saying it is much better, but not totally gone?

Spyder Garage

Yes. Just hint of gas today. But I'll know more as the temps go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Yes. Just hint of gas today. But I'll know more as the temps go up.

90 sounds good to me, we only get a few days that hit the 100's usually.

I'm sure you hit the 115's

Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoop

Was thinking about adding an air scoop to the tupperware near where the '14's have theirs. But remember I am cheap. So I decided to play around with the existing tupperware. I moved the top torx bolt and captured nut about a half inch outboard. I then made a spacer for the lower bolt. I bought a longer bolt at the hardware store to go through the spacer. Its an Allen not a torx but I can keep looking for a closer match.
    scoop 001.jpgscoop 002.jpg
    I took the bike for a short ride. Only 85 degrees right now but a strong wind. When I was heading into the wind the panel was not hot. When I turned so the wind was coming from the right rear, the panel got warmer. As soon as I turned back so the 25mph wind was more from the front, the panel began to get cooler.

If you put your finger near the opening you can feel lots of air moving. The nose seems to push it towards the new opening.

Just a hint of gas smell.

If I decide to make this more permanent I will use black for the spacer.

Spyder Garage

Pretty cool thinking!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Thinking outside the box"... COOL!

Spyder Garage

Spent most of the day making a custom high speed low drag evap canister. Added it to the existing system. It pretty much doubled the carbon. Took it for a test ride. 95 degrees today. Got home, parked in the garage, and it still smells. I'm sure it will help on most days but the tank just gets too hot on a day like today. Needless to say, I am frustrated.