Spyder Garage

Default Timeout camper hich question

Travelling from Ontario to Albany NY to pick up a Time Out camper. Not sure of which hitch to get? There are so many different ones and what adapter if any would I require. If anyone has this trailer I would greatly appreciate any info you have. I have a 2011 RTS and looking forward to doing some camping please help.

Thanks
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mwalsh6 View Post
    Travelling from Ontario to Albany NY to pick up a Time Out camper. Not sure of which hitch to get? There are so many different ones and what adapter if any would I require. If anyone has this trailer I would greatly appreciate any info you have. I have a 2011 RTS and looking forward to doing some camping please help.

Thanks
    Mike
    the BRP hitch is more $ but in my opinion the install is worth the extra
    You do not have to loosen the rear axle with the BRP
    the wiring for the BRP hitch is a 4 square plug now so you will need to make or buy an adapter for your trailer I don't know what your trailer has but very few thing have a 4 square plug
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are essentially only two hitches available, BRP and non-BRP. The non-BRP are sold by a number of different vendors, and have different names on them, but from what I have seen of pictures, they're all physically the same.

Read my thread on doing the wiring for a non-BRP hitch http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-lights-Part-1 and read other threads about the BRP hitch kit and the differences in trailer connectors. Is the Timeout a 4 wire or 5 wire setup? If 4 wire and you are not into DIY you probably will want to go with the BRP kit. If it's 5 wire and you are into DIY, then consider an after market hitch.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    There are essentially only two hitches available, BRP and non-BRP. The non-BRP are sold by a number of different vendors, and have different names on them, but from what I have seen of pictures, they're all physically the same.

Read my thread on doing the wiring for a non-BRP hitch http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-lights-Part-1 and read other threads about the BRP hitch kit and the differences in trailer connectors. Is the Timeout a 4 wire or 5 wire setup? If 4 wire and you are not into DIY you probably will want to go with the BRP kit. If it's 5 wire and you are into DIY, then consider an after market hitch.
    The vendor tells me that it is a 5 wire set up. Wiring is not one of my strong points. I believe I will have the BRP trailer hitch installed at the dealer and see if I can find the adapter. If you know where to order let me know. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

P.S found this....

Wiring Diagram
    5-wire Round & Flat
    Wiring Diagram for Time Out Trailers round & flat...
    Pin 1 - Yellow Wire - Left Turn Signal
    Pin 2 - Green Wire - Right Turn Signal
    Pin 3 - Brown Wire - Running Lights
    Pin 4 - Red Wire ---- Brake Lights
    Pin 5 - White Wire -- Ground. Recommend going to (-) on battery with a crimp ring terminal... Recommend going to battery
    Numbers is what is on plugs... With proper wire color to it... Signal and light(s) on right of it are for trailer lights...

4 WIRE PLUG on Bike or Vehicle - To 5 Wire Plug on trailer...
    WIRING when trailer has yellow signal lights

1. You will need a flat 4 plug on trailer replacing the 5-wire if trailer has round plug... Red or blue wire that was brake wire DOES NOT get connected.
    2. 5 wire flat trailer plug should work in car or bike end 4 wire. The one that is out in air from trailer is the brake wire. Your signal lights are both signal and brake now. The red or blue wire that was your brakes that goes to your brake and running lights now does nothing.
    3. Will need to change yellow signal lights to red... Yellow can't be used as stop lights... All States and Canada...
    4. Bike plug should be connected with white wire to bike ground, I prefer to battery...
    5. Bike yellow is left turn,. Bike green is right turn...
    6. Bike brown is running...

This sounds simple enough all I need to find out is the color coding for the BRP set up. If I read this right all I have to do is change the plug on the trailer to a four Square pin conector, I guess BRP might have these in parts.

Mike
    Last edited by mwalsh6; 04-09-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

You stated you have a 2011 , isn't your plug round ? My brother's was round , he has a time out trailer, flat 5 pin. All we did was make a jumper (5pin) from the round plug and pluged it into the trailer 5 pin.
    I had an issue with mine and I called time out and the stated their wiring was set up to use a 4 or 5 pin connector. Good luck , I love my trailer works great!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    You stated you have a 2011 , isn't your plug round ? My brother's was round , he has a time out trailer, flat 5 pin. All we did was make a jumper (5pin) from the round plug and pluged it into the trailer 5 pin.
    I had an issue with mine and I called time out and the stated their wiring was set up to use a 4 or 5 pin connector. Good luck , I love my trailer works great!
    He has none. It's in the BRP hitch kit he's going to buy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The vendor tells me that it is a 5 wire set up. Wiring is not one of my strong points. I believe I will have the BRP trailer hitch installed at the dealer and see if I can find the adapter. If you know where to order let me know. Thanks for the reply.
    My suggestion is to see if the trailer supplier is willing to help sort it out at their location. I'd also suggest you get a universal trailer wiring adapter from a local trailer shop or online. With that you can rig it up to get home, even if you end up with amber brake lights, then let a trailer shop work it out when you have it at home.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Draw-Tite/18032.html
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

arntufun

Thanks
    Mike

Make sure you beep as you go by Lake George on your way to Albany to pick up your trailer. Lake George is home to SpyderQuest in September. Hope to see you there.

Spyder Garage

Default Picked up the trailer

Thanks for all your help. Picked up the trailer yesturday with the pick up. Bikes in getting it's 10,000K oil change and the hitch installed. Haven't seen the plug yat as they ordered it from the shop. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks again
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought a time out trailer cm 2000 LTD used aftermarket wiring harness and hitch from value accessories works great with 2010 rts spyder
    Has 5 pin plug