Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hitch Mounted Platform

Ok, I have been looking all morning for the sponsor that makes the platform that attaches to the trailer hitch on an RT. This allows one to carry additional luggage without actually using a trailer. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Ok, I have been looking all morning for the sponsor that makes the platform that attaches to the trailer hitch on an RT. This allows one to carry additional luggage without actually using a trailer. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated.
    This one? http://www.sealcreativeconcepts.com/...eal-tote-rack/
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    That is a very cool solution. Does it have additional heat shielding from the exhaust pipe? The other solution mentioned that heat from the exhaust can cook stuff quite a way back from it. Also, what would that solution cost? How much weight can you get in it? Off to the Googles to look it up.

I haven't come up with a good reason to get a hitch and full trailer, but I could justify getting a hitch and this solution for weekend trips. I was pretty disappointed when the 2014 RT-S frunk, trunk and panniers turned out to be small. I can only get one full face helmet in the frunk.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can't help notice that your plate is covered that will surely get you a ticket also what the the cubic ft of that item

Spyder Garage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...4c6046&vxp=mtr

Go to this site and email them; they're located in Greenville NC; and ask if they still offer the rack that fits on their trailer hitch. If you follow the above auction you might get the hitch for much less than full price. Heres what I did with mine; I put a strong plastic box from Walmart on for when I wanted to use it on a trip.

I haven't figured out how to attach a cheap light for the lic tag in case I ride with it at night. Once I get to Springfield, i'll remove the box and reattach the tags to the bike. Most likely I won't be running at night unless its early morning departures.

Have mounted a battery operated LED on lower part of box to shine up on the tag. That should prevent any unwanted stops by LEO's.

Here's some heat wrap I put on the right front and side to prevent exhaust problems:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-Grade-RA...p2054897.l4275
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ulflyer; 04-10-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default For long weeks end

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rivco

Site sponsor Rivco makes two quick release trailer hitch racks that are ideal for carrying additional luggage. The rack mounting plate is placed beneath your hitch ball and the rack slides into the receiver in seconds. I have used both Rivco racks in the past and can attest to their functionality and durability.

18 x 30.jpg11 x 16.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Site sponsor Rivco makes two quick release trailer hitch racks that are ideal for carrying additional luggage. The rack mounting plate is placed beneath your hitch ball and the rack slides into the receiver in seconds. I have used both Rivco racks in the past and can attest to their functionality and durability.

18 x 30.jpg11 x 16.jpg
    Good idea but I doubt it would work on the Spyder as intended. Both the BRP and after market hitches have a ball mounting plate that is probably too wide for this bracket. You could use it if you're willing to remove the ball to install this anytime you want to use it. That wouldn't be too much of a hassle since it only takes about a minute or two to remove and reinstall the ball, and you wouldn't use this and the trailer at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Good idea but I doubt it would work on the Spyder as intended. Both the BRP and after market hitches have a ball mounting plate that is probably too wide for this bracket. You could use it if you're willing to remove the ball to install this anytime you want to use it. That wouldn't be too much of a hassle since it only takes about a minute or two to remove and reinstall the ball, and you wouldn't use this and the trailer at the same time.
    If you look at the picture on the left you can see that the ball hitch is in place. this item works great.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

Now you have a lot to choose from. Depending on how much your going to carry (check weight restrictions) you should be able to get what you need. That Rivco one looks like a nice set up...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    If you look at the picture on the left you can see that the ball hitch is in place. this item works great.

Correct, I have used both racks at one time or another on my Spyder BRP hitch as well as a Denray Hitch I had on my RS Venture and Goldwing GL1800. Remove the hitch ball, mount the plate, re-install the ball and it remains on the bike and does not interfere with attaching various trailers, including the RT622 trailer.

It is an option for when you don't want/need to tow a trailer, although it is recommended that you keep the load weight within reason.

Wish the OP good luck in finding what works for them.

Spyder Garage

Default This one worked on mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121220606016...witem=&vxp=mtr

This is the one I ordered. It fits nicely on the Can Am hitch.
    $74.95 Shipped.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    Are we talking about the same bracket and rack? The one with the round tubes? The bracket with the round tubes would have to be mounted on the top side of the Spyder's ball mount with the tube receivers facing up, right? Are the tube receivers small enough to allow a trailer tongue to move over them, or do you have to put a spacer between the ball and and bracket to give clearance?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are we talking about the same bracket and rack? The one with the round tubes? The bracket with the round tubes would have to be mounted on the top side of the Spyder's ball mount with the tube receivers facing up, right? Are the tube receivers small enough to allow a trailer tongue to move over them, or do you have to put a spacer between the ball and and bracket to give clearance?
    If you look at the picture of the Rivco bracket in the picture above this would normally be the way it would face if you mounted it to the hitch bar and passed your hitch ball shaft through the bracket hole. Since I also pulled the RT622 trailer at various times, I found that the addition of the bracket added a few inches of height to the ball position when mounted. To counteract this I flipped the bracket over when I mounted the ball bringing the hitch ball pretty well back to its original height on the tow bar without the bracket. The trailer tongue is well above the rack tubes either way and did not require a spacer.

All that being said, the Ebay hitch mentioned in s recent post appears to be a great alternative at less than half the price. Nice to have options.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    If you look at the picture of the Rivco bracket in the picture above this would normally be the way it would face if you mounted it to the hitch bar and passed your hitch ball shaft through the bracket hole. Since I also pulled the RT622 trailer at various times, I found that the addition of the bracket added a few inches of height to the ball position when mounted. To counteract this I flipped the bracket over when I mounted the ball bringing the hitch ball pretty well back to its original height on the tow bar without the bracket. The trailer tongue is well above the rack tubes either way and did not require a spacer.

All that being said, the Ebay hitch mentioned in s recent post appears to be a great alternative at less than half the price. Nice to have options.
    Thanks. I guess I need to go look and see just how much vertical space there is between the trailer tongue and ball mount surface. Obviously there's more than I was thinking there would be.

Spyder Garage

Before considering the Rivco unit contact them as I recall from a previous post that they do not recommend their unit for use on the Spyder. Something about the weight being unsprung could cause the rack to fail.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

Will this work on the BRP hitch

Spyder Garage

Default D.I.Y. Hitch Platform

I have just finished putting together a hitch rack for our trip to Spyderfest. Debbie says she needs more luggage space so I made the rack to fit a standard airline carry on size bag. The bag does not hide the plate. The wiring on the 2013 Rt. is a square 4 prong. I took two standard flat 4 prong plugs, cut them in half and modified them to fit the Spyder plug. After cutting the flat plugs just shrink wrap them together to form the square plug to fit the Spyder. I installed L.E.D. lights for turn, brake & signal. If you did not want lights you could skip the wiring of the rack. The plate that is bolted under the hitch ball is 3/16" stainless steel plate cut the shape of the back of the hitch, the square tubes welded to this plate are stainless as well. I did these pieces from stainless for the strength. The rack is made from 1 1/4" aluminum angle with aluminum mesh. The entire setup including stainless plate and aluminum rack weighs in at 6 lbs. With a maximum ball load of 40 lbs. that leaves Debbie plenty of room to load up a carry on bag, usually about 20 lbs. I drew up what I would like and I had a shop do the fabrication. Total cost including Fabrication shop, lights, paint for the stainless plates and all hardware about $150.00. A bit pricy but it is over built, it looks pretty good and best of all it makes Debbie happy. Happy wife happy life!

Only 8 more sleeps until we head off to our first Spyderfest. See everyone on April 29th.

DSCN3945.jpg ........DSCN3947.2.jpg
    2013 RT Ltd. Black Currant, SpyderPops Bump Skid & Belt Guard, Bajarons Sway Bar & Heim Joints, BRP. Trailer Hitch, Trailer Hitch Luggage Carrier, Cat By-Pass, Wrapped pipes, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake light & Dual Brightsides, F4 Customs Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy seat & back rest, Rivco Armrests, LED mirror lights, Lidlox Helmet locks, Elka Stage 2 Frt. Shocks., Clearwater "Darla" LED driving lights, Tricled LED headlights & fog lights, Tricled fender LED lights.

CARA @ RIVCO

Default Not recommending RIVCO Racks on the Spyder Hitch

Thanks for the kind referrals Spyder lovers, we appreciate the thoughts, but as mentioned above, we specifically DO NOT recommend our racks for use with the Spyder's un-sprung hitch (it's in the description of the parts on our website, and in the instructions). Even with our strong racks and hitch connectors, there is too much stress with all the shaking and vibration. Sorry!

Spyder Garage

Rivco makes a good point. I previously posted pics of the rack I bought and it makes use of a square tube, not especially thick. I decided to beef it up before leaning of the caution and inserted an aluminum tube inside. Lowes has both metal and aluminum tubes , whichever you want to use, that fits well enough. Cost is about $10-12.

After reading Rivco caution, I wish I had used the metal but will take my chance on the trip to SF next week. After that, I doubt the rack will get much use.

I am, however, installing one on a friends Can Am today and will use the metal as she plans on using it a lot.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch rack

Where did you get the rack?? Thx

Spyder Garage

Hi Mr. Bill. Could you send me some pictures of the rack you made and what materials. All of the ones I have been looking at are all over 25 lbs. thanks. Yardageman. Golf7733@aol.com

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yardageman View Post
    Hi Mr. Bill. Could you send me some pictures of the rack you made and what materials. All of the ones I have been looking at are all over 25 lbs. thanks. Yardageman. Golf7733@aol.com
    I'm not an engineer but I have built cars ..... I wouldn't advise using any of these devices .... others have mentioned the fact that whatever you put on on it is going to get " beat to hell " and BRP rates there system for 40 lbs. .... after considering the weight of the device, how much does that leave you for what you want to ad ..... good luck .... Mike