Spyder Garage

Default Battery Question

I bought my Spyder last spring. It was the 2012 dealer demo model. I went to my tool shed yesterday and it started right up. No trickle charger over the winter. So Ruby currently has 2,715 miles. I your collective opinion does the battery suddenly just not start or will I see a gradual decrease in starting power? Should I get a dealer battery or replace from another source?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Gary
    2012 RTS 2065 miles
    Web Boards, Champion Tour Full Cover
    USAF 67-71 Weapons Mechanic -Love my B-52
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Spyder Garage

3-7 years is about the average life span of a battery.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

you can shop around for a battery if your's is really shot. Have it charged and tested first. On these machines it doesn't take much of a drop to not start. Dealers do have them but tend to be a bit more but on the other hand they can handle all the removal and installation... Ebay, amazon, some auto parts stores, some walmarts, sears etc...good luck hope you just need a charge...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is just like a car battery one minute its great and then zero

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For the future

Suggest you purchase a slow (trickle) charger.

Spyder Garage

My oldest battery so far is the one that came with the 2010 RTS. I put the 's on battery tenders when they get parked for the year. The 2010 was started up Saturday at almost 6 months to the day. Fired off, first try. A new battery is in the plan when I bring it in for the next servicing. Just to be safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Buy a battery, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
    I bought my Spyder last spring. It was the 2012 dealer demo model. I went to my tool shed yesterday and it started right up. No trickle charger over the winter. So Ruby currently has 2,715 miles. I your collective opinion does the battery suddenly just not start or will I see a gradual decrease in starting power? Should I get a dealer battery or replace from another source?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Gary
    You stated it started right up and wasn't on a trickle charger. I'd say that's a pretty good battery and it's only 2 yrs. old. I'd say your good to go for a couple years. But it would be a good idea to use a battery tender when it sets for a while.

Steve

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Zero gravity.

While thinking of batteries, has enyone gone to a lithium battery? Is it worth the extra cash?

Spyder Garage

The miles on a battery doesn't matter. It is all about time and conditions. As stated above, one minute it will be great, next minute it can be a giant paperweight. Usually a good sign of battery issues is that it might give you issues starting up the computer but the engine turns (i.e. dash reboots when you hit the start engine button). When in doubt, have it tested.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Hey All !!

What are impressions of the Odyssey battery offered by vendor at Spyderfest ??
    I seem to remember seeing that vendor at Spyderfest Last year.

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

arntufun

08 PE GS here....... Still on original OEM battery (most likely made in early 07) and I have no plans on changing it anytime soon.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Spyder OEM battery is the longest lasting motorcycle battery I have ever owned and it baffles me why folks want to change brands when these OEM batteries are awesome.
    When the time comes for a new one, it will be OEM.
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-08-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why change partners; when the girl that you brought to the Ball, is doing just fine?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wife's 2010 RTS has original battery. Tested it the other day and works as advertised. But like mentioned, you never know when...

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The battery in my old 2010 is still "open for business" also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    08 PE GS here....... Still on original OEM battery (most likely made in early 07) and I have no plans on changing it anytime soon.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Spyder OEM battery is the longest lasting motorcycle battery I have ever owned and it baffles me why folks want to change brands when these OEM batteries are awesome.
    When the time comes for a new one, it will be OEM.
    Ditto here. Nancy's PE is still on the OEM battery, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

Quote Originally Posted by Corbeil Kid View Post
    While thinking of batteries, has enyone gone to a lithium battery? Is it worth the extra cash?
    NO..................

Spyder Garage

Default 5 Yrs for mine

My 09 GS was first sold in Jan of 09. The battery died in Mar of 14. I figure I can't complain on that. I replaced it with an Oddyssey which I bought off the shelf at a local Batteries Plus. Never used a maintainer or a charger on the OEM and it sat unused for several long spells. Just another example of what can happen.